Disney pulls all channels from Spectrum/Charter cable

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Forester65

Jan 31, 2019
"Spectrum is on your side and fighting..."

Fkn LOL.

Really laying it on thick with the spin control.
Last month my year-long "introductory rate" expired and my monthly bill in Maine went up $15.00. I expected it at some point as this happened when I lived in TN. However, when I signed up, the customer rep assured me that it would be a flat rate that would never change. Good one Spectrum. You got me. For now.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Disney bleeding money because of politically motivated decisions. Look at what they are going through now with the Snow White movie and it hasn’t even been released and they are reshooting/re-editing a completed ready to release movie. Little Mermaid and Raiders also came in under expectation. Now they want the cable companies to make up for their losses. Bob Igor is not their solution as the CEO or and other internal person they need an outsider.

Your right there, spectrum‘s service is terrible

I’m not saying Disney hasn’t made decisions one could define as “political” but they’ve also been turned into a convenient prop for one particular side of the political aisle. To the point where there won’t be any letting up no matter what they do because the perpetual outrage is too good of a sell/talking point for target voters.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Imagine being villainized for doing the right thing? What a world we live in.

In this scenario, Disney has the content that fans want: College football and the NFL. Charter doesn't want to pay what it costs to have that, so it's now blacked out. If they don't resolve this soon, I'm dropping that shitass company and moving on to whatever else I have to in order to see the programming I want.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
If revenue is going up they do not care if they’re operating at a loss. Uber operates at a loss and has never turned a profit iirc. Draftkings has never made a penny of profit. I can tell you from my industry many solar companies don’t turn a profit.

That stuff actually doesn’t matter when evaluating the company’s success. So posting that they’re operating at a loss isn’t really evidence that their business is failing, especially when they bring home 22 billion in revenue lol. Nobody would make that argument for DraftKings. Disney will always have investors as long as the revenue stays up and they’ll continue to operate how they operate.

Reactions: LSCII

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Imagine being villainized for doing the right thing? What a world we live in.

In this scenario, Disney has the content that fans want: College football and the NFL. Charter doesn't want to pay what it costs to have that, so it's now blacked out. If they don't resolve this soon, I'm dropping that shitass company and moving on to whatever else I have to in order to see the programming I want.

I'm glad FiOS is moving into Worcester for Internet at least.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If revenue is going up they do not care if they’re operating at a loss. Uber operates at a loss and has never turned a profit iirc. Draftkings has never made a penny of profit. I can tell you from my industry many solar companies don’t turn a profit.

That stuff actually doesn’t matter when evaluating the company’s success. So posting that they’re operating at a loss isn’t really evidence that their business is failing, especially when they bring home 22 billion in revenue lol. Nobody would make that argument for DraftKings. Disney will always have investors as long as the revenue stays up and they’ll continue to operate how they operate.
Disney’s market cap has fallen from $350.09 billion on March 22, 2022, to $154.04 billion. That's a decline of $196.05 billion — or a 56% drop in market cap. That’s an utter disaster.

Losing 50%+ market cap in less than 18 months is absolutely evidence they’re failing, especially compared to the market as a whole.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988 and LSCII

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Disney’s market cap has fallen from $350.09 billion on March 22, 2022, to $154.04 billion. That's a decline of $196.05 billion — or a 56% drop in market cap. That’s an utter disaster.

Losing 50%+ market cap in less than 18 months is absolutely evidence they’re failing, especially compared to the market as a whole.
Ok, we’ll hopefully (not trying to jinx our lives here lol) reconvene on this thread in 10 years and see where Disney is at. If they’re out of business you were right. If they’re still pulling in billions upon billions in revenue well…

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

So when their market cap skyrocketed 250% during the pandemic, was that because they suddenly became super financially savvy? No, it’s because it was a market bubble.

Of course, the high of that bubble is what you’re using to say that they are somehow failing because they’ve dropped back down since then (as have most companies).

The modern stock market, with all of its deregulated, free flowing capital flooding in from all over the world, is the absolute worst indicator as to a company’s strength.

Netflix was at 700/share in late 2021, came down to 160/share in less than a year and is now up to 440 again. Amazing how they succeed, and then “fail”, and then succeed again so quickly. Almost like market sentiment and momentum buying/selling have next to nothing to do with a company’s actual prospects.

The stock market being a reflection of “the economy” be it a single company or many companies, is a joke. It’s nothing more than a show for the absurdity of the modern financial sector.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
So when their market cap skyrocketed 250% during the pandemic, was that because they suddenly became super financially savvy? No, it’s because it was a market bubble.

Of course, the high of that bubble is what you’re using to say that they are somehow failing because they’ve dropped back down since then (as have most companies).

The modern stock market, with all of its deregulated, free flowing capital flooding in from all over the world, is the absolute worst indicator as to a company’s strength.

Netflix was at 700/share in late 2021, came down to 160/share in less than a year and is now up to 440 again. Amazing how they succeed, and then “fail”, and then succeed again so quickly. Almost like market sentiment and momentum buying/selling have next to nothing to do with a company’s actual prospects.

The stock market being a reflection of “the economy” be it a single company or many companies, is a joke. It’s nothing more than a show for the absurdity of the modern financial sector.
How do you think Disney’s investors feel about the company’s strength? You can’t yadda yadda away losing 50%+ of market cap, especially when it’s against the tide of the market unlike the bubble you mention.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
How do you think Disney’s investors feel about the company’s strength? You can’t yadda yadda away losing 50%+ of market cap, especially when it’s against the tide of the market unlike the bubble you mention.

What does that have to do with anything? Obviously you don’t want stock you own to go down in value.

The point I’m making is that you are saying Disney losing 150% in market cap is a “big deal” that somehow indicates poor financial prospects. This of course despite the billions upon billions they bring in. What exactly was going on when they skyrocketed in value during 2020…the high point that you are using to cite a 150% drop in value.

So they were amazing two years ago to where they doubled in market cap, and now they’re all woke so their market cap gets cut in half. Is this your understanding?

The stock market is a terrible, terrible indicator of financial realities. There are so many games being played that affect the final number. Disney losing half its market cap, after it doubled its market cap two years prior, is not an indication of imminent financial turmoil.

Nor is raising prices. Companies, in general, are always trying to sell their service for the highest amount. You, the consumer, are trying to pay as minimal as possible. If they can make more money on the long run with a higher price point, they will do it, regardless of current finances. They don’t just act nice and keep prices low when their stock is higher. It’s a global corporation. Highest revenue possible is always the goal.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
What does that have to do with anything? Obviously you don’t want stock you own to go down in value.

The point I’m making is that you are saying Disney losing 150% in market cap is a “big deal” that somehow indicates poor financial prospects. This of course despite the billions upon billions they bring in. What exactly was going on when they skyrocketed in value during 2020…the high point that you are using to cite a 150% drop in value.

So they were amazing two years ago to where they doubled in market cap, and now they’re all woke so their market cap gets cut in half. Is this your understanding?

The stock market is a terrible, terrible indicator of financial realities. There are so many games being played that affect the final number. Disney losing half its market cap, after it doubled its market cap two years prior, is not an indication of imminent financial turmoil.

Nor is raising prices. Companies, in general, are always trying to sell their service for the highest amount. You, the consumer, are trying to pay as minimal as possible. If they can make more money on the long run with a higher price point, they will do it, regardless of current finances. They don’t just act nice and keep prices low when their stock is higher. It’s a global corporation. Highest revenue possible is always the goal.
A+

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Their profit was down 23% year over year last quarter. Highest profit possible is always the goal.

They’re cutting $5.5B in costs. They fired their CEO. Only on this board would people be defending their financial performance I swear.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
hopefully spectrum doesnt give in.
keep the cable prices lower without disney crap channels.
if people want their channels they can get the apps seperately
Current streaming may not be the answer. But cable needs to be punted for good.

I haven't had cable for over a decade and will never go back.

When NHL.tv was a simple, buy this product to watch Bruins games, and only Bruins games, I was fine, paying for exactly what I wanted and got what I wanted.

It turning into buy this for some, but not all was the bad decision.

I'm absolutely shocked when I hear how much people are paying for Cable TV these days.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Such a misrepresentation but not a surprise.

How about their profits tanking?
You’re literally proving my point that it’s charter here with this take. You realize that, no? Disney’s revenues are way up. What’s not are their gross profits, meaning the content they’re offering is expensive to make, therefore they need to charge more than they were getting. All the other cable providers have realized that. All except charter who would rather f*** their customers over than pay a fair rate for their carriage fees.

But see, that reality doesn’t matter to you because your objection isn’t the cable company refusing to accept the cost of doing business. You’re too hung up on bullshit and nonsense that has zero to do with this issue.

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
You’re literally proving my point that it’s charter here with this take. You realize that, no? Disney’s revenues are way up. What’s not are their gross profits, meaning the content they’re offering is expensive to make, therefore they need to charge more than they were getting. All the other cable providers have realized that. All except charter who would rather f*** their customers over than pay a fair rate for their carriage fees.

But see, that reality doesn’t matter to you because your objection isn’t the cable company refusing to accept the cost of doing business. You’re too hung up on bullshit and nonsense that has zero to do with this issue.
Because their profits are down they need to charge more? Sure, that’s what they’re trying to do to rescue them. That’s like saying that since Little Mermaid and Elemental bombed, they need to charge more to see their movies. How do you lose money on Little Mermaid?

They have lost $11B in streaming since 2019. They lost $11M subscribers in 3 months. They have been woefully inefficient with their capital. And that’s why they are cutting billions in costs and why they fired their CEO. A simple google search shows all kinds of articles about their financial troubles from The NY Times, Washington Post, and everywhere else. And now that ESPN is doing shitty too it’s snowballing.

I’ll never defend cable companies but this idea that from a financial perspective Disney is doing just fine and they need to charge more because their stuff is expensive to make is freaking nutso man.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Current streaming may not be the answer. But cable needs to be punted for good.

I haven't had cable for over a decade and will never go back.

When NHL.tv was a simple, buy this product to watch Bruins games, and only Bruins games, I was fine, paying for exactly what I wanted and got what I wanted.

It turning into buy this for some, but not all was the bad decision.

I'm absolutely shocked when I hear how much people are paying for Cable TV these days.

I've sailed the high seas for Bruins game for the last couple years.

If there was a legitimate paid source that wasn't outrageously priced just to watch Bruins games I would happily pay to be on the up and up.

As it is I pay a source $20 a season and get every NHL game (no blackouts) on an app that streams directly to my Chromecast if I want and it's high quality.

If NHL or whoever could do that at a reasonable price I'd be all in.

$330 a year through NESN360 seems outrageous

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Because their profits are down they need to charge more? Sure, that’s what they’re trying to do to rescue them. That’s like saying that since Little Mermaid and Elemental bombed, they need to charge more to see their movies. How do you lose money on Little Mermaid?

They have lost $11B in streaming since 2019. They lost $11M subscribers in 3 months. They have been woefully inefficient with their capital. And that’s why they are cutting billions in costs and why they fired their CEO. A simple google search shows all kinds of articles about their financial troubles from The NY Times, Washington Post, and everywhere else. And now that ESPN is doing shitty too it’s snowballing.

I’ll never defend cable companies but this idea that from a financial perspective Disney is doing just fine and they need to charge more because their stuff is expensive to make is freaking nutso man.
All streamers are pulling in the same percentages as Disney plus because it’s simply not a high margin business model given the cost to create original content is expensive. So your example of Disney plus as proof is moot.

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
if anyone knows a stream for the us open tennis on espn/espn2 can you pm me? nothing for tennis on sportssurge.

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
The problem with Disney’s movies underperforming isn’t butts in the seats, it’s the obscene budgets on their projects. How does a movie make nearly two thirds of a billion dollars, like the Little Mermaid did as an example, and lose money for the studio? I had read an analysis once that pegged their animated films at costing around 100 million dollars more on average to produce than their competitors. That’s obviously not sustainable.

They’ll be fine once they figure it out. Lest we forget most of the animated films produced during Walt’s lifetime either failed to make back their budgets or outright flopped- a list including Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, Bambi, Sleeping Beauty and Fantasia. So it’s almost a company tradition if we’re being honest.

Last edited:

bwunderlich

Feb 27, 2002
woodstock, ny
Visit site
Spectrum bill came yesterday.

They raised the price of my Sports package $3.00 and I lost ESPN, FX and two other channels.

The answer is simple. We, the consumers all work together; WE are the economy and if 5-25 million people work together for our common good, we garner some control.

But they keep us divided on silly "red meat" issues where we worship the billionaires and loath our neighbors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad