Disney pulls all channels from Spectrum/Charter cable

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Disney trying anything they can to make up for the ton of money they have lost recently, due to the garbage content they have been putting out lately. They have destroyed not only their own product that was once family oriented, but now have destroyed franchises like Star Wars, Marvel and Indiana Jones, they are now reaping what they deserve.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Charter is without question the shittiest cable provider I’ve ever had to deal with.

Disney trying anything they can to make up for the ton of money they have lost recently, due to the garbage content they have been putting out lately. They have destroyed not only their own product that was once family oriented, but now have destroyed franchises like Star Wars, Marvel and Indian Jones, they are now reaping what they deserve.
So Disney is no longer making family oriented content? Please elaborate as I was unaware…

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Charter is without question the shittiest cable provider I’ve ever had to deal with.

So Disney is no longer making family oriented content? Please elaborate as I was unaware…
They are no longer doing what they once did that made them successful.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Again, you throw out generalities and I’m asking for specifics.

Any specifics would clearly result in posts being deleted and warnings issued.

Ultimately for the most part Disney has still been making family oriented films, but in many cases they have decided to focus on things other than fun and telling a quality story. Which has made them less freindly

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Again, you throw out generalities and I’m asking for specifics.
Ok well for one thing they try to modernize classics and it is not working, one example there is a new Snow White live action movie coming out, they don't have the 7 dwarfs they are normal size people called bandits, then this Rachel Zegler who is playing the title role, basically said she hates what Disney has stood for, called the original animated classic made in 1937 a joke and that Prince Charming was a stalker! This movie won't have a Prince, but shows a young woman that does not need a man etc. There is nothing wrong with a strong female role, but they should not be destroying the foundations the company was built on. If you want some good examples, look on youtube for Ryan Kinel, I think his channel is called RK Outpost, he has tons of videos about what Disney is doing to themselves.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Encanto had minority family no one complained. As did Coco, the princess and the frog, Soul, Mulan (the great animated one), raya (ok not great), turning red, Pocahontas, Aladdin. Disney has historically been able to write outstanding movies with minority characters and no one ever raised a slight concern

Ok well for one thing they try to modernize classics and it is not working, one example there is a new Snow White live action movie coming out, they don't have the 7 dwarfs they are normal size people called bandits, then this Rachel Zegler who is playing the title role, basically said she hates what Disney has stood for, called the original animated classic made in 1937 a joke and that Prince Charming was a stalker! This movie won't have a Prince, but shows a young woman that does not need a man etc. There is nothing wrong with a strong female role, but they should not be destroying the foundations the company was built on. If you want some good examples, look on youtube for Ryan Kinel, I think his channel is called RK Outpost, he has tons of videos about what Disney is doing to themselves.

Zegler assertion is odd, as Disney got rid of the weak women trope decades ago. Mulan, Pocahontas, Elsa, Rapunzel, Brave, the Princess and the Frog and many others were super strong female characters, and the heroes in their story. So the attacks made by Zegler and others are just bizarre

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bbfan419

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Disney is still making family oriented content it's just not geared towards 1 specific type of family anymore.

As to the quality of the kids oriented stuff I haven't been the target audience for it in 25+ years so hard for me to say one way or the other if it's good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ladyfan and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
With any movie, there's a suspension of disbelief that goes along with viewing it regardless if it's a new story or a classic. If someone decides to do a spin on a classic tale, you as a consumer can choose to watch it or not, If you don't like it, simply don't view it. Problem solved, no?

The dynamic that I find really really really odd here is that rather than let the creative types make their own versions of these classic tales and introduce them to a new, younger audience, there are folks who'd rather shout it down and stop it. Why a group of folks try to prevent it for whatever reason, instead of ignoring it and moving on with their lives is beyond me? It's strangely intolerant and I don't understand it at all. Who made folks like that the content police? Why is nobody allowed to do their own spin on something just because it's a classic?

I mean shit, if you actually read the actual stories most of the classic Disney movies are based on, you'd see that Disney took plenty of creative license of their own and changed up a lot of details from the original source material. So why is nobody allowed to do their own take or modernize something from 75 years ago? Seems silly to get worked up over that, no?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
With any movie, there's a suspension of disbelief that goes along with viewing it regardless if it's a new story or a classic. If someone decides to do a spin on a classic tale, you as a consumer can choose to watch it or not, If you don't like it, simply don't view it. Problem solved, no?

The dynamic that I find really really really odd here is that rather than let the creative types make their own versions of these classic tales and introduce them to a new, younger audience, there are folks who'd rather shout it down and stop it. Why a group of folks try to prevent it for whatever reason, instead of ignoring it and moving on with their lives is beyond me? It's strangely intolerant and I don't understand it at all. Who made folks like that the content police? Why is nobody allowed to do their own spin on something just because it's a classic?

I mean shit, if you actually read the actual stories most of the classic Disney movies are based on, you'd see that Disney took plenty of creative license of their own and changed up a lot of details from the original source material. So why is nobody allowed to do their own take or modernize something from 75 years ago? Seems silly to get worked up over that, no?
The point is their new versions of the classics are not performing well financially for Disney whatsoever.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The point is their new versions of the classics are not performing well financially for Disney whatsoever.
Yeah and are you all shareholders in the business, because otherwise, who cares? I don’t get why a production company’s choices about what movies they make would matter to some people. There are plenty of studios and tv networks that make content that doesn’t resonate with the viewers, yet I don’t see the uproar when those outlets make a movie or show that doesn’t do well. So like I said, it’s a very odd dynamic.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Yeah and are you all shareholders in the business, because otherwise, who cares? I don’t get why a production company’s choices about what movies they make would matter to some people. There are plenty of studios and tv networks that make content that doesn’t resonate with the viewers, yet I don’t see the uproar when those outlets make a movie or show that doesn’t do well. So like I said, it’s a very odd dynamic.
Ok…let’s try this. Disney’s financial performance is awful. One of the things they’re doing is trying to push exorbitant cost increases to cable carriers for their stuff - which was the point of the original thread. And yes, I was a shareholder, luckily got out at a good time.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Ok…let’s try this. Disney’s financial performance is awful. One of the things they’re doing is trying to push exorbitant cost increases to cable carriers for their stuff - which was the point of the original thread. And yes, I was a shareholder, luckily got out at a good time.
Again why do you care if you have zero stake in the company? Even if you did own their stock, you can sell it if you dislike the decisions they are making, like you did. So problem solved for you, no? With that being said, I don’t see the issue if they decide to make a movie you don’t like. Which is what I said all along about it being an odd dynamic.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Again why do you care if you have zero stake in the company? Even if you did own their stock, you can sell it if you dislike the decisions they are making, like you did. So problem solved for you, no? With that being said, I don’t see the issue if they decide to make a movie you don’t like. Which is what I said all along about it being an odd dynamic.
Why does anyone care about anything? Why do you care that I care?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Why does anyone care about anything? Why do you care that I care?
Well I care about this specific Issue because I have charter for cable and now do not get multiple channels because they don’t want to pay fair prices for content But my issue isn’t with Disney because this is a regular happening with charter fighting with content providers over what they’re willing to pay. If it was Disney and they were doing it with all cable providers then I’d have an issue with them, but it’s not. It’s charter.

Either way, it has nothing to do with what movies Disney has green lighted despite the false claims by several of you here.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sure it does. Just because you say it doesn’t doesn’t make it true.
Nah. Looking at the track record, this is a regular occurrence with only one of the two parties involved. I get fully why you’re trying to put it on Disney though and it’s weak, dude. Like really weak.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Nah. Looking at the track record, this is a regular occurrence with only one of the two parties involved. I get fully why you’re trying to put it on Disney though and it’s weak, dude. Like really weak.
You have no idea what you’re talking about. If you followed ESPN’s issues and them pushing higher carriage fees everywhere along with Disney’s recent issues and what they’re doing you might have a leg to stand on.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

“In total, Disney posted a fiscal third-quarter net loss of $460 million, or 25 cents a share, compared with a year-earlier profit of $1.41 billion, or 77 cents a share. Revenue rose to $22.3 billion vs. $21.5 billion a year ago. Excluding one-time items, per-share earnings were $1.03 a share.”

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

We run into this same problem in the comic book world, where some of my customers get upset that older characters/stories get reimagined to fit into the modern world and not be stuck in the 20th century. I always ask them, why get upset that your fake story isn't going to be the same fake story that today's kids will read? Some people just don't understand the things that they grew up with three generations ago can't always be catered to their sensibilities.

Reactions: LSCII

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
We run into this same problem in the comic book world, where some of my customers get upset that older characters/stories get reimagined to fit into the modern world and not be stuck in the 20th century. I always ask them, why get upset that your fake story isn't going to be the same fake story that today's kids will read? Some people just don't understand the things that they grew up with three generations ago can't always be catered to their sensibilities.
Again, that’s fine. But when those changes result in dramatically underperforming results from a financial perspective, and then subsequent other financial moves occur (as we’re talking about), is it not fair to question the decisions that led to poor financial results?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Again, that’s fine. But when those changes result in dramatically underperforming results from a financial perspective, and then subsequent other financial moves occur (as we’re talking about), is it not fair to question the decisions that led to poor financial results?

It's fair to question that, yes. With how prices are in the world, It's the adults who have the money and money, not good intentions, is what keeps any business afloat. But when they're dead and gone, it's today's kids that are going to be the buyers in the future. To build long term stability moving out of the last century, my industry can't keep depending on the same old tropes and heroes with the same stories - readers just don't have the same emotional attachments they find relatable in someone who was a WW2 veteran vs someone who went go fight after the 9/11 bombings.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

“In total, Disney posted a fiscal third-quarter net loss of $460 million, or 25 cents a share, compared with a year-earlier profit of $1.41 billion, or 77 cents a share. Revenue rose to $22.3 billion vs. $21.5 billion a year ago. Excluding one-time items, per-share earnings were $1.03 a share.”
Again, Charter has a history of fighting with content providers over carriage fees. As a long time Spectrum customer, I've seen multiple channels lost both temporarily and forever now. ESPN is pretty standard in that they get one of the highest fees from cable providers because it's one of the most in demand outlets. It's the price they have to pay if they want to have their users happy.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
First Take was bragging a about its ratings over undisputed this week. what gift for skip bayless now. Stephen A is done week 2. No ESPN spectrum will demolish them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad