Disney pulls all channels from Spectrum/Charter cable

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Disneys losing money because the quality of product they keep putting out is subpar.

Star Wars for the most part for me has been a miss. Andor, Rogue one, and some mandalorian have been good. The rest of it has just been a slog to get through which resulted in me skipping it altogether.

Marvel, the other big cash cow hasn't found it's footing since Endgame imo. I have tried to get into this next MCU phase and it's just a complete miss for me as well.

If the two big money makers were putting out consistent quality I'm sure it would be different

Last edited:

IveGotToBeMe

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
RI
Personally I'm trying to avoid certain topics pertaining to Disney as I don't want to offend anyone or get banned. The above was a compilation from various reports concerning Disney. I use to love Disney, even had my honeymoon at Walt Disney World years ago; but I no longer give my money to Disney and have had nothing to do with Disney the past several years (seems I'm not alone). Let's just say, they are no longer the family safe/friendly institution of my youth, which is sad. Others may feel differently, and that's okay, but this has been my choice of late.
"I'm trying to avoid certain topics" but you said it anyway in five nondescript sentences. Let's keep the politics and personal opinions out of what is happening here.

This is a business transaction and both sides have dug in, as they should, to drive the best deal for their large, profitable companies. They can point fingers at one another but that's all it really is. They both would like to make more $, Disney by charging more and Spectrum/Charter by paying less. It's a game of chicken and the customer loses. That said, this happens across the country with different networks (Disney, CBS, NBC, Fox and other smaller entities) on a regular basis on a variety of cable platforms. It's how they do business. It's just more public in this social climate.

I agree it sucks but that's why I cut the cord.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
When was the last time Disney created an original IP? Everything they've done the last decade has been either an entry into an expanded universe of a pre-existing IP like Star Wars or Marvel (both of which they bought from their creators) or live action remakes of their classic animated films. The only thing close to unique they've done is some of their animated work like Encanto.

I guess it's the way it is nowadays in entertainment that everything is photocopies of photocopies, but nobody is creating anything new anymore. No wonder there's been consumer fatigue or resistance.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
"I'm trying to avoid certain topics" but you said it anyway in five nondescript sentences. Let's keep the politics and personal opinions out of what is happening here.

This is a business transaction and both sides have dug in, as they should, to drive the best deal for their large, profitable companies. They can point fingers at one another but that's all it really is. They both would like to make more $, Disney by charging more and Spectrum/Charter by paying less. It's a game of chicken and the customer loses. That said, this happens across the country with different networks (Disney, CBS, NBC, Fox and other smaller entities) on a regular basis on a variety of cable platforms. It's how they do business. It's just more public in this social climate.

I agree it sucks but that's why I cut the cord.
I get it, but it’s pretty hard - and outrageously incomplete - to talk about Disney’s financial performance without touching on the decisions they’ve made with their content.

Reactions: G Backup

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
The way in which the vast majority of mainstream audio-visual art and content have been brought under the ownership and control of just a handful of massive companies is awful. It stifles and limits creativity and individuality, leads to so many productions ending up looking and feeling very same-same, promotes conservatism, and allows company bosses to dictate terms to other providers and businesses often in a grossly unfair manner.

I don't know the rights and wrongs and who has the better arguments in this particular case, but the damage in general to our visual arts, and the near-dictatorial control these companies have over content distribution and the profits resulting therefrom, are a real shame. We see the current writers' strike as a symptom and an attempt to correct some of the issues, but I don't know if there's really much that can be done to fix the problems in the larger scheme of things. The creators, the middlemen and the consumers all suffer. There's my rant for the day.
You should see how it is in Canada with only 3 telecom's.
Own everything and charge you whatever the hell they want or increase prices just cuz. All while making I'm sure record profits year after year.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
With prices of everything constantly on the rise a lot of consumers are choosing to not spend money on luxuries like streaming services. Or in Disneys case family trips to their themeparks.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
When was the last time Disney created an original IP? Everything they've done the last decade has been either an entry into an expanded universe of a pre-existing IP like Star Wars or Marvel (both of which they bought from their creators) or live action remakes of their classic animated films. The only thing close to unique they've done is some of their animated work like Encanto.

I guess it's the way it is nowadays in entertainment that everything is photocopies of photocopies, but nobody is creating anything new anymore. No wonder there's been consumer fatigue or resistance.

Encanto was the last time they really created original IP where the goal was to develop a story rather than make a political statement. It is a great example that people have no problem watching and loving wonderful stories full of diverse character and strong women as long as you start by making them a great story

And Encanto has been huge for them in terms of Disney plus, merchandise sale. the characters are in the parks, and likely within 5 years there will be attractions based on the movie.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
With prices of everything constantly on the rise a lot of consumers are choosing to not spend money on luxuries like streaming services. Or in Disneys case family trips to their themeparks.
I was told that cutting the cable and go streaming was cheaper not a luxury

We have been enjoying a physical media free for awhile but it seems like stocking up again isn’t a bad idea

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
@Aussie Bruin

Ruppert blindsided CBS in 1994 when he 'overpaid' for the NFL/NFC rights but the truth is he knew getting the NFL would triple the value of his fledging FOX network. The one thing he was certain of was NFL owners would happily cash the check he wrote.

When he got the NHL rights in 1995 he wanted Dennis Cometti to call games but 7 Network would not allow it - but my goodness the production values FOX had for the NHL in 1995 were stunning.

Dennis Cometti was Australia's very finest sports commentator. Knowledgeable, suave, humorous, passionate, a smooth, deep voice of the 'old sort', he had it all. I'm not sure he knew anything about hockey though!

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
You should see how it is in Canada with only 3 telecom's.
Own everything and charge you whatever the hell they want or increase prices just cuz. All while making I'm sure record profits year after year.

Yeah Australia is the same - we only have 3 major telecom companies and 2 traditional cable providers. Gives them a lot of control over the market and pricing due to sheer lack of competition.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I was told that cutting the cable and go streaming was cheaper not a luxury

We have been enjoying a physical media free for awhile but it seems like stocking up again isn’t a bad idea

Just like anything ever sold a new alternative comes out cheaper, then eventually once the old thing dies off the new cheaper thing needs to raise its price for some arbitrary reason. Cable isn't dead yet but doesn't seem to be as dominant as it was at the turn of the century

Just like when internet was just a small add on from the cable company ( cost relative to cable tv) all of a sudden Internet costs me $100 a month by itself.

Bleached

Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate of shrimp
Oct 3, 2018
The only thing I watch on those channels is hockey and F1. I just hope my bill goes down by a commensurate amount.

I think Disney's biggest fear should be people realizing they don't miss those channels.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Yeah Australia is the same - we only have 3 major telecom companies and 2 traditional cable providers. Gives them a lot of control over the market and pricing due to sheer lack of competition.
My internet/cell phone bill is like $200+/month
It’s so much fun
Then I see ads in the states for wild phone deals for like $40/month

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Just like anything ever sold a new alternative comes out cheaper, then eventually once the old thing dies off the new cheaper thing needs to raise its price for some arbitrary reason. Cable isn't dead yet but doesn't seem to be as dominant as it was at the turn of the century

Just like when internet was just a small add on from the cable company ( cost relative to cable tv) all of a sudden Internet costs me $100 a month by itself.
Agreed.

Just like gas prices. Raise the shit out of it then celebrate that it is 25% lower

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
hopefully spectrum doesnt give in.
keep the cable prices lower without disney crap channels.
if people want their channels they can get the apps seperately

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So I assume Spectrum will be refunding money to their customers for every day these channels are not available?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad