TSN: Dion almost signed? Mod warning post #277

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Really doubt that Dion declines at the age of 33-35. People seem to forget Dion is only 28 years old. Most defensemen peak at around the age of 30, especially defensively.

Hopefully your are right.

So, according to your post, at 35 he would be around 5 years past his peak then? Would he have the same speed and acceleration, and how would that impact his game? Is he a fast skater now so a drop off wouldn't effect his game much?

wulfio*

But he's not.. If he can get along with Phil Kessel, then I think everyone on the team doesn't mind him. :laugh:

Kessel is an awkward ham that has a team first mentality, and scores the most points. I'm pretty sure he's one of the most liked guys on the team that ruffles the least feathers.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Hopefully your are right.

So, according to your post, at 35 he would be around 5 years past his peak then? Would he have the same speed and acceleration, and how would that impact his game? Is he a fast skater now so a drop off wouldn't effect his game much?

Doubtful that he would have the same speed and acceleration, but he'll be pinching a lot less and be more positionally sound, due to the fact that he's not as quick as he use to be.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Kessel is an awkward ham that has a team first mentality. I'm pretty sure he's one of the most liked guys on the team that ruffles the least feathers.

So you're just assuming Dion ruffles feathers in the locker room? I have yet to hear of any problems with the Leafs locker room since getting rid of Luke Schenn.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
It was 2 polls but 'constantly' should not have been used.

Still shows he isn't necessarily the most likeable guy as you seem to think he is. All speculation but that doesn't happen for no reason. Maybe they're all jelly of Elisha :p

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Doubtful that he would have the same speed and acceleration, but he'll be pinching a lot less and be more positionally sound, due to the fact that he's not as quick as he use to be.

And hence, would his contract look good at that point?

How do you get multiple quotes in the same post? I know you click "muliti", but what are the steps after that?

wulfio*

So you're just assuming Dion ruffles feathers in the locker room? I have yet to hear of any problems with the Leafs locker room since getting rid of Luke Schenn.

I'm saying your statement about getting along with kessel means he can get along with anyone is dumb, like it's an insinuation that kessel is tough to like. The reality is he's probably among the most liked guys in the room based on personality, disposition, and skill. ie you'd have to be a total pariah to not get along with Kessel.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
It was 2 polls but 'constantly' should not have been used.

Still shows he isn't necessarily the most likeable guy as you seem to think he is. All speculation but that doesn't happen for no reason. Maybe they're all jelly of Elisha :p

Or maybe it's because he's so hard to play against. And people just dislike the way he plays. Like Hartnell. Or maybe there's just blind hate for him like there is here?

Why wouldn't you approach his contract the same?!!!

Because that's not how the signing process works. Plus, he's been amazing in terms of playing for the Leafs over his career. It's just in comparison, playing for Team Canada is a bit different then getting a new contract.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Phanuef is so disliked by his teammates that I'd bet none of them attended his wedding this summer.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

How do you get multiple quotes in the same post? I know you click "muliti", but what are the steps after that?

Click multi for all but one, that one you click quote.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He is not a strong Norris candidate at all.....he is a long shot at best to be a 8th d man on team Canada..

Picking Norris trophy candidates and picking d-men for Team Canada are two very different things. Do I really need to explain why?

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010

You click multi. And possibly. If the cap is 90 million and he's the captain who is positionally sound, with physical and a decent shot.

I'm saying your statement about getting along with kessel means he can get along with anyone is dumb, like it's an insinuation that kessel is tough to like. The reality is he's probably among the most liked guys in the room based on personality, disposition, and skill. ie you'd have to be a total pariah to not get along with Kessel.

No. Kessel is not the easiest guy to get along with. He's a quiet, keep to himself kind of guy. Skill has nothing to do with who you are either. Dion is the complete opposite of Phil Kessel and they get along. That is what I'm trying to say. These are the two centre pieces in the dressing room. If he's getting along with Phil, and everyone gets along with Phil like you said, then Dion has zero problems.

wulfio*

Or maybe it's because he's so hard to play against. And people just dislike the way he plays. Like Hartnell. Or maybe there's just blind hate for him like there is here?

These are hockey players not soccer players. You can be tough to play against and be respected.

I don't see why it's so hard for people to fathom. The guy has the personality of a door knob. From everything we see of him in the media, he's a bit of a dick. You can say we just assume he's always like that, but when other players corroborate this, it becomes less of an assumption. People like this exist, have you never played with a good hockey player who just doesn't fit in with the boys before?

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
These are hockey players not soccer players. You can be tough to play against and be respected.

I don't see why it's so hard for people to fathom. The guy has the personality of a door knob. From everything we see of him in the media, he's a bit of a dick. You can say we just assume he's always like that, but when other players corroborate this, it becomes less of an assumption. People like this exist, have you never played with a good hockey player who just doesn't fit in with the boys before?

What player came out and said he was a dick? Seriously.. You're reaching here.

Even from watching the first episode of 24/7, he gets along with the guys. He's always with the guys, doing stuff with the guys. So I'm not sure where you get this from. I really don't care what people on the other team think of him.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I think that's due to his previous years, not so much this year.

He is having a good year 5 on 5, but not on the PK or PP and his offense is severely lacking.

He has the same amount of points on the PP as Rielly who plays considerable less time on the PP. He is also on the ice for far to many PK goals against.....so I do not believe he is anywhere near a candidate for the Norris.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I would think that after the way the media jumped all over the first "most overrated result", it almost ensures that he will get picked in that category again by some players, simply because it can be fun to see the Leafs media (and Leafs fans as an extension of that) overreact.

I honestly suspect that most posters here put more thought into a two or three line quick comment than most players ever put into surveys like this. Jeff Blair (of the Globe and Mail and FAN590) has commented on this. He used to work in PR for the Expos and would often be the guy who had to hand out and collect such surveys. He said there would be a few players who would seriously think about their answers, but many would just scribble in some answers and hand it back. Blair has certainly indicated that he's not sure that such surveys mean much at all.

wulfio*

You click multi. And possibly. If the cap is 90 million and he's the captain who is positionally sound, with physical and a decent shot.

No. Kessel is not the easiest guy to get along with. He's a quiet, keep to himself kind of guy. Skill has nothing to do with who you are either. Dion is the complete opposite of Phil Kessel and they get along. That is what I'm trying to say. These are the two centre pieces in the dressing room. If he's getting along with Phil, and everyone gets along with Phil like you said, then Dion has zero problems.

So you've never been on a hockey team before. Skill has a lot to do with how you are perceived in the room. And this is starting to feel like a TMZ argument so I'll stop. But you can be quiet and still be likeable. It also doesn't mean you're a mute if you have a quiet disposition. And being a team first guy goes a long way, especially on a team...

Anyhow, I give up, you don't know what you're talking about.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
He is having a good year 5 on 5, but not on the PK or PP and his offense is severely lacking.

He has the same amount of points on the PP as Rielly who plays considerable less time on the PP. He is also on the ice for far to many PK goals against.....so I do not believe he is anywhere near a candidate for the Norris.

Even if he doesn't have PPP, the powerplay is third in the league.. Our team is really good at moving the puck.

His work on the PK would help with our forwards playing better on the PK, as well as a better partner on the PK. Can't rely solely on Dion to do everything, but you can't blame him for everything as well.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013

Because that's not how the signing process works. Plus, he's been amazing in terms of playing for the Leafs over his career. It's just in comparison, playing for Team Canada is a bit different then getting a new contract.

Prior to this year, his time as a Leaf has been his worst career stats. He had better numbers in Calgary.

He plays the toughest minutes in the league shutting down the top players according to you guys yet the Olympic brass doesn't want him (still speculation but he's not gonna bump Subban)

I don't understand what insight you seem to have that Canada Hockey operations doesn't.

wulfio*

What player came out and said he was a dick? Seriously.. You're reaching here.

Even from watching the first episode of 24/7, he gets along with the guys. He's always with the guys, doing stuff with the guys. So I'm not sure where you get this from. I really don't care what people on the other team think of him.

There must have been extra content I missed. The only human interactions I saw Dion have was with his wife, or getting mad at the HBO camera man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad