TSN: Dion almost signed? Mod warning post #277

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Prior to this year, his time as a Leaf has been his worst career stats. He had better numbers in Calgary.

He plays the toughest minutes in the league shutting down the top players according to you guys yet the Olympic brass doesn't want him (still speculation but he's not gonna bump Subban)

I don't understand what insight you seem to have that Canada Hockey operations doesn't.

Because there's more to picking Team Canada then just shutting down opposing teams top players when Canada is as good as it is.

Canada already has shut down guys, and physical guys. They'd be looking at Subban for his offense and his skating. There's no denying that him and Subban bring completely different games.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
He is having a good year 5 on 5, but not on the PK or PP and his offense is severely lacking.

He has ZERO PP points. It infuriates me that Carlyle puts him out on the first unit each and every time after 30 games of nada

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Even if he doesn't have PPP, the powerplay is third in the league.. Our team is really good at moving the puck.

His work on the PK would help with our forwards playing better on the PK, as well as a better partner on the PK. Can't rely solely on Dion to do everything, but you can't blame him for everything as well.

I never blamed him for anything....I gave you the data based on his stats. He is not having anything close to a Norris type year currently.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Because there's more to picking Team Canada then just shutting down opposing teams top players when Canada is as good as it is.

Canada already has shut down guys, and physical guys. They'd be looking at Subban for his offense and his skating. There's no denying that him and Subban bring completely different games.

Fair enough. But this just goes to show that the Leafs are willing to sign 'The best they have' to big money.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
But he has been great. I don't understand what people expect from him.

Nobody is saying he's a Norris trophy candidate. He's a solid #1 defenseman with little support.

I think he's carried most of our defenseman through some ****** inconsistent play. Some people here think he cannot do mistakes defensively or offensively, which is bullsh**.

I don't know what fans expect out of him. They think he should be a flawless defenseman that can put up 20 goals to justify an extension of his contract.

Mind boggling stuff from a lot of people.

I've seen a lot of crappy defensive plays from supposed top franchise defenseman this year. I guess I can only suggest to watch other teams to realize that it happens to the best of them.

is he really though? i mentioned earlier in this thread about Phaneuf's lack of production this year. shouldn't all #1 D's be able to produce consistently?

Phaneuf isn't even in the top 50 in points by defensemen, and not even in the top 10 in the Atlantic division.

Karlsson 34 pts
Subban 26 pts
Kronwall 24 pts
Markov 20 pts
Krug 18 pts
Franson 17 pts
Campbell 16 pts
Hedman 16 pts
Chara 15 pts
Gilbert 13 pts
Carle 13 pts
Wiercioch 13 pts
Ehrhoff 12 pts
Phaneuf 12 pts

is that acceptable? especially for a guy who wants 7m/year? Leaf management should be telling him, you want that much money? then start scoring. you can get a nice stay a home D for 3-4m. players that get 6+ have to produce offense too.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Phanuef is so disliked by his teammates that I'd bet none of them attended his wedding this summer.

I suspect you're being sarcastic here, but just in case anyone is wondering about this:

The guests were already assembled, expectantly, inside St. James Catholic Church, sticky and wilting in their pretty finery, no air conditioning on a blistering hot Saturday afternoon. And what a sports glitterati crowd it was: More than a dozen of Phaneuf’s teammates, Leaf executives, a slimmed down Brian Burke — the kind of celebrity-studded roster this island has never before witnessed.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/07/06/dion_phaneuf_and_elisha_cuthbert_tie_knot_in_pei_dimanno.html

And you have to wonder if the guy is such a dick in the locker room, why none of his teammates (and I suspect there were a few more who knew about it even though they weren't invited or couldn't make it) blabbed about to the press, but instead honored his wishes to keep it quiet.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
is he really though? i mentioned earlier in this thread about Phaneuf's lack of production this year. shouldn't all #1 D's be able to produce consistently?

Phaneuf isn't even in the top 50 in points by defensemen, and not even in the top 10 in the Atlantic division.

Karlsson 34 pts
Subban 26 pts
Kronwall 24 pts
Markov 20 pts
Krug 18 pts
Franson 17 pts
Campbell 16 pts
Hedman 16 pts
Chara 15 pts
Gilbert 13 pts
Carle 13 pts
Wiercioch 13 pts
Ehrhoff 12 pts
Phaneuf 12 pts

is that acceptable? especially for a guy who wants 7m/year? Leaf management should be telling him, you want that much money? then start scoring. you can get a nice stay a home D for 3-4m. players that get 6+ have to produce offense too.

Another "expert" on stats. You guys should start a club or something.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I think the Leafs have like the least goals / points from defensemen in the league.

I think this has to do more so with the way the team is playing then the defensemen.

jmart21

MISC!!!
Nov 16, 2009
All Over The Place
These are hockey players not soccer players. You can be tough to play against and be respected.

I don't see why it's so hard for people to fathom. The guy has the personality of a door knob. From everything we see of him in the media, he's a bit of a dick. You can say we just assume he's always like that, but when other players corroborate this, it becomes less of an assumption. People like this exist, have you never played with a good hockey player who just doesn't fit in with the boys before?

It's been reported (ie: Mirtle, Jonas) many times how Dion is actually one of the "goofs" in the room and really turns on the "serious" when around camera.

It's funny. Dion acts this way and he's a "doorknob" that every player in the league apparently hates.

Toews acts this way and he gets the title "captain serious" and tales told of his "intangibles" around the league.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The stats have already been posted which show how much better the team performs when Dion is on the ice. But that's not enough for some of you, you think mgmnt should tell him he's gotta score more points himself. Just incredible.

But OK, I'm open to hearing why I'm wrong. Please explain to me why goals and assists numbers are more important to assessing Dion's value then the overall performance numbers which show him to be having an awesome season.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Over 30 minutes more of PP minutes and on the first unit and he has the same points as Rielly and you are laughing. You should be crying.

I'm not going to be crying when I'm a Leafs fan first.. The more weapons we have the better. Like I've said countless times, Dion and the Leafs need the help. The best thing that could happen is Dion is able to play less. It's better for the team. Doesn't mean he's not worth the money he'll get.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
The stats have already been posted which show how much better the team performs when Dion is on the ice. But that's not enough for some of you, you think mgmnt should tell him he's gotta score more points himself. Just incredible.

But OK, I'm open to hearing why I'm wrong. Please explain to me why goals and assists numbers are more important to assessing Dion's value then the overall performance numbers which show him to be having an awesome season.

Because when evaluating Phaneuf for a new contract. You don't only look at the most recent season, you look at the body of work. He has not been a Norris level defenceman his whole time here, even though he is having an excellent season. Half a year or quality hockey does not lock you up for 8 yrs 7 million a piece especially due to the fact his best year is a contract one. If you want to talk stats don't talk 1 season.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Rielly-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson

please make this our PP pairings!!!!

last time i checked defence was suppose to play defence? id rather play D than have a rover that gets walked around by every player in the league (Karlson)

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Rielly-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Franson

please make this our PP pairings!!!!

Big shot with a skater on both pairings. Not a bad idea. It's just hard to move Franson and Dion around because our PP has been doing so well.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
It's been reported (ie: Mirtle, Jonas) many times how Dion is actually one of the "goofs" in the room and really turns on the "serious" when around camera.

It's funny. Dion acts this way and he's a "doorknob" that every player in the league apparently hates.

Toews acts this way and he gets the title "captain serious" and tales told of his "intangibles" around the league.

I've never heard this mention of the "goofy" side of Phaneuf personality before...will try to listen for it. It's true that we fans are only exposed to glimpses of our Leafs' personalities so most things should be taken with a grain of salt. Nor should we care as the main thing is what they do for the team. Still, perceptions are what they are and Phaneuf comes across to me a basically a dick...not that it is correct or ultimately matters. But he needs better PR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad