Votes: 49 20.3%
  • No but I promise I’m unbiased

Votes: 108 44.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
How much you outscore your nearest teammate isn’t a very thorough measure of more valuable though. Pasta and Panarin both outscored their closest teammates by 43 points this year. I wouldn’t say they were more valuable to their teams than MacKinnon
Exactly and it's a fair argument but the problem is when people make it the argument and don't look at it from all angles.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I mean, Don Cherry was voted as one of the greatest Canadians of all time. Not greatest Canadian hockey people, but Canadians in general. Like a million people voted on that so it's not some small sample size.

Cherry's show was wildly popular and successful for decades. His nativism was obvious the entire time.

Many of us said so on this very forum (where Don Cherry was, for years, the ONLY hockey commentator to have his own permanent sticky thread). It's not as if he said something dumb/racist/nativist for the first time in 2022 or whenever it was. It wasn't some shocking reversal of sentiment. It was perfectly aligned with what he had been spewing for decades.

So yeah, there are many millions of Don Cherry fans in Canada.

To put it in perspective, there are worse things in the world than sports nativism - although sports nativism can possibly be a symptom of larger nativism, and larger nativism may also be a proxy for racism. So it's just an ugly path to go down. And it's arbitrary as well.
Well it's ironic that one is coming to these wild conclsuions about a guy who is popular.

But you live in Washington so if one sues your logic this all makes sense in this crazy world right?.

Cherry is (was) a popular shtick type of hockey personality doesn't mean people agreed with him 100% it's people with tin foiled hsts that see a conspiracy around every corner like the OP here.

Do you think Canada is like 40 million Don cherrys or something?
Obviously it's guilt by association right?

It's such a lazy narrative and doesn't stand up even to the smallest of scrutinies.

• Haha
Reactions: T REX

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
its described as the most valuable to HIS team not the most valuable player in the league which is the main argument for Kuch over Mac imo
"Most valuable to his team" is not the same as "Most points". Obviously, the Hart Trophy factors in other things than points, otherwise defensemen and goalies could never win it.

Unlike the Art Ross, the Hart isn't awarded based on arithmetic. "Most valuable to his team" is subjective. Of course production counts, but voters also look for other qualities that make a player valuable: What role does he have on his team? Is he a leader and a positive role model? Given that wider definition, it's easy to see why MacKinnon's role on the Avs makes him more valuable than Kucherov's role on Tampa.

• Haha
Reactions: T REX
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad