Blue Jays Discussion: Dickey Wins Gold Glove.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Why do I get this feeling we're going to get Saltalamacchia ?

Because he'd get a cheaper contract than most of the free agent catchers this off season. There is a chance he's the guy if the jays go big elsewhere. They'll have to save some money somewhere.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
It absolutely does. Realistically, the most he should get is something similar to the Lackey deal (5 years, $82m) from a couple winters ago as the best starter in a week free agent class. And that's assuming he's the top guy available, which I don't believe he is.

Who do you think is?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Because he'd get a cheaper contract than most of the free agent catchers this off season. There is a chance he's the guy if the jays go big elsewhere. They'll have to save some money somewhere.

I hate to be that guy, but I'd almost rather keep Arencibia at his price tag than pay Salty, even at a discount. Chances are he'll cost about six million dollars more, while striking out just as much, and being close as mediocre defensively.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London

He'd be better then JPA. How is his pitch framing? I'd want to run with a Pierzynski/Ruiz and Thole combo.

With Pierzynski he'd be able to DH some games as well.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I hate to be that guy, but I'd almost rather keep Arencibia at his price tag than pay Salty, even at a discount. Chances are he'll cost about six million dollars more, while striking out just as much, and being close as mediocre defensively.

Completely agree, he's not much of an upgrade of JPA

The deficiencies Salty has are lesser but the same issues we have with JP. The fact that Ross was used in the playoffs late in games should be all we need to know.

We need in this order: Defense, Gamecalling, OBP, everythjng else out of the catcher spot

Lots of guys who can give is that on much smaller deals

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada

My guess is Salty gets a 3/36 type deal or 4/44. He won't come cheap.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
No he had a solid year actually. It was his previous two seasons with the red sox that wasn't very good (although still not bad).

Don't want. A close look at his stats no way hes worth $9-10M a season. Yikes. Funny how free agents tend to have good yrs when they need them. His highest average ever I believe was last year.

No thanks.

I know the Bosox were really high on him a few yrs back. It never worked out.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
No you don't :sarcasm:

You got me. I love it.

tumblr_mam7qgc2MU1r9spw1o1_250.gif

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I want no part of him. The idea is to upgrade not a lateral move.

Need someone much better if they go C route this winter.

I agree with you, if the options are JP, Salty or trade the farm for a real upgrade I would rather do option 3. I might be a bit biased since I tend to think our pitching woes are in some part to blame on JP but I really feel that catcher is a position we MUST upgrade if we are serious about contending.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I agree with you, if the options are JP, Salty or trade the farm for a real upgrade I would rather do option 3. I might be a bit biased since I tend to think our pitching woes are in some part to blame on JP but I really feel that catcher is a position we MUST upgrade if we are serious about contending.

Agreed! Baseballers always say YOU HAVE to be good up the middle of the diamond C/SS/2B and CF. Very key to any success imo.

AddMan3001

Don't poke the bear!
Sep 16, 2007
Cambridge, ON
Where are these Bautista rumors coming from? I'm a horrible fan and I haven't been keeping up with the news/rumors since the season ended. Why are we considering trading him?

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Where are these Bautista rumors coming from? I'm a horrible fan and I haven't been keeping up with the news/rumors since the season ended. Why are we considering trading him?

We have been considering trading him because he is on a great deal but appears headed towards a natural decline (due to his age and injuries).

If we could turn a Bautista into a good 2B and a good outfielder, why not listen? That being said, Dom Brown is not getting a Bautista straight up

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008

I don't know if AA is considering trading JB but inquiries have been made from other teams.

Given his injury concerns and age, it might be worthwhile to trade him while his value is high.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

They're fabricated and have no legs. Just a bunch of smoke out of Philly. As for why there's the possibility of a trade, well he's getting up there in age and he can yield a potential package that could fill multiple holes on the team, albeit by creating another one (big bat in RF).

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I don't know if AA is considering trading JB but inquiries have been made from other teams.

Given his injury concerns and age, it might be worthwhile to trade him while his value is high.
Basically this, This is the last opportunity to deal Bautista for a kings ransom.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
They're fabricated and have no legs. Just a bunch of smoke out of Philly. As for why there's the possibility of a trade, well he's getting up there in age and he can yield a potential package that could fill multiple holes on the team, albeit by creating another one (big bat in RF).

Damn :( personally I feel The Mets are a better trading partner. They are looking for power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad