Tribute Dick Tärnström

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
He wasn't as bad as some seem to remember but wasn't as good as people thought he was at the time.

He wasn't an amazing defender but he wasn't a liability. He wasn't a push over but wasn't knocking anyone around either.

He read the play well from the point, had a quick accurate shit, could throw the puck up ice pretty well and onto someone's stick pretty reliability while in the offensive zone.

Tarnstrom was the reason I recently joked that the karlsson power play until this season should be basically O'Connor, Hayes, and puusy up front forcing EK to do it all himself like he did in SJ.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
He wasn't as bad as some seem to remember but wasn't as good as people thought he was at the time.

He wasn't an amazing defender but he wasn't a liability. He wasn't a push over but wasn't knocking anyone around either.

He read the play well from the point, had a quick accurate shit, could throw the puck up ice pretty well and onto someone's stick pretty reliability while in the offensive zone.

Tarnstrom was the reason I recently joked that the karlsson power play until this season should be basically O'Connor, Hayes, and puusy up front forcing EK to do it all himself like he did in SJ.

But that EK was a -26 or whatever. He's also a career -99. Also a near decade since he played a full 82 games. The Pens should be shocked he put up a +4 in 82.

RussianRifle27

Dec 3, 2007
I like how the Penguins fan’s revisionist history of Mikael Granlund still persists as if having only scored a few points on a crappy team means he always sucked and will always suck.

RussianRifle27

Dec 3, 2007
That he was never good. You’d think they’d be less harsh given the Sullivan hate since he was buried on the 3rd line and didn’t get a chance with Malkin and former teammate - Zucker. The guy has been a productive top six scorer before and after his time in Pittsburgh but people have delusions about him being garbage.

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
That he was never good. You’d think they’d be less harsh given the Sullivan hate since he was buried on the 3rd line and didn’t get a chance with Malkin and former teammate - Zucker. The guy has been a productive top six scorer before and after his time in Pittsburgh but people have delusions about him being garbage.
I mean, both right.

He WAS garbage here.

But you won't find too many HFPens who would say it wasn't because of Sullivan. Sullivan has ruined everyones last five years here.

It was super important to get Granlund out of here, to save us from his pricetag and being misused. That contract being put in defensive 3rd situations was a total nightmare.

You're ranting about one side comment on granlund in a tarnstrom joke thread. You would need to visit here a lot more to know a majority hate Sullivan and his stupid lines.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

RussianRifle27

Dec 3, 2007
He wasn’t put in a position to succeed, so I can’t blame the player much. Maybe the angst comes from losing a 2nd round pick for him but it just seems odd that HF Pens fans have such a hang up about the guy and invented a backstory about him always being bad. I visit here pretty often but don’t bother to post much.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
He wasn’t put in a position to succeed, so I can’t blame the player much. Maybe the angst comes from losing a 2nd round pick for him but it just seems odd that HF Pens fans have such a hang up about the guy and invented a backstory about him always being bad. I visit here pretty often but don’t bother to post much.

People will always be hyperbolic. Granlund doesn't suck, he's a vanilla Euro player who does a bunch of things ok, but nothing prolific.

Sully used him like a defensive stalwart and Granlund looked worse than he was. But let's also not pretend Granlund was this offensive dynamo who just needed to get Sully's handcuffs off

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
He was one of the better players on the powerplay, none of whom would have seen much time on our current one...which isn't much better...somehow...

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
He put up a lot of points in the dead puck era. He was a good powerplay qb but he lost that role when Sergei Gonchar was signed. He came over to NA well into his career so maybe never fully adjusted to the style of play. Anyone that has a 20+ year career in hockey must have done something well.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
The Pens PP was actually pretty good even with those terrible teams. In 03/04, 12 of his 16 goals were on the PP and his ES pts were 14 to 38 power play points.

He was to sniping shin pads as Tyler Kennedy is to sniping goalie’s logos.
I play NHL online and everytime I mess up my shot and it hits the chest I call it a TK, still :laugh:

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
For 2 seasons, Dicky Tarns was goated. 103pts in 174 games, the team was an absolute shit show that year (well that entire "X-Gen" bs). They had what, 23 wins that year? Lol. It's funny to think that the Pens were bad that year, but they still had more wins than Crosby's 1st season.

This is what happens when you let cronyism dictate your f***ing hires, good ole Mario.

You want a job old teammate??
giphy.gif

The only good to come out of that year he had 52pts and lead the team was that Aleksey Morozov was finally used correctly for 3 seasons straight and he then promptly said go f*** yourselves and left for good.

It was weird, I have read some things but I mean was he secretly told he wasn't in their plans? Was his contract demands astronomical? Did he really just like being back home during the lockout and said nah fam I'm good? He was one that I really wished would come back in Sid's first few years, even just to play with Geno.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
For 2 seasons, Dicky Tarns was goated. 103pts in 174 games, the team was an absolute shit show that year (well that entire "X-Gen" bs). They had what, 23 wins that year? Lol. It's funny to think that the Pens were bad that year, but they still had more wins than Crosby's 1st season.

This is what happens when you let cronyism dictate your f***ing hires, good ole Mario.

You want a job old teammate??
giphy.gif

The only good to come out of that year he had 52pts and lead the team was that Aleksey Morozov was finally used correctly for 3 seasons straight and he then promptly said go f*** yourselves and left for good.

It was weird, I have read some things but I mean was he secretly told he wasn't in their plans? Was his contract demands astronomical? Did he really just like being back home during the lockout and said nah fam I'm good? He was one that I really wished would come back in Sid's first few years, even just to play with Geno.
Morozov went back to the KHL to become a national legend, not fighting for NHL table scraps.
Weigh those two options.

Tristan Jarry should weigh his country fat ass vs Sullivan's demands.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Morozov went back to the KHL to become a national legend, not fighting for NHL table scraps.
Weigh those two options.

Tristan Jarry should weigh his country fat ass vs Sullivan's demands.
You started well and then turned tard.

Never go full tard.

Bowski

That's not how we do things in Pittsburgh
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
You started well and then turned tard.

Never go full tard.
Sorry, Mrs. Jarry. Let me try again:

"Sullivan has ruined Tristan Jarry with his Macho head games, that injured fatso is tired from playing all of those games and cannot take it anymore!"

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It's the kind of dumb f*** replies blokes here have just to hate a goalie that likely needs a new goalie coach but whatever let's just devolve into shit like "country fat ass."
Hey one of the best goalies of all time had the moniker of fatso (Marty B). If TJ decides to start pounding some nachos between starts it wouldn't be the worst thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad