Traded Linus Ullmark traded to OTT for 25th, Kastelic and Korpisalo(25% retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He's busy "building processes and a framework for decision making".
i.e., hiring people to talk to before making decisions?

$3.4 million...wow. Hard to believe there are homes in this city worth that much.

Damn...looking at realtor.ca, there's a good dozen homes in Westboro listed over $2.5 million. That's wild. I know Ottawa has always been fairly white collar with the fed jobs and all, but this definitely isn't the middle class town I remember.

But good for Ullmark and his family. Westboro is a beautiful area. Some of those old tree lined streets were absolutely spectacular before the '98 ice storm. You could walk 2-3 blocks and never have the sun hit you, the trees were so large and covered the whole road. Nice and quiet, good parks. (And lawn bowling is surprisingly fun.)
I like lawn bowling; never done it other than at the cottage on an undulating surface.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I think they should wait until January to extend him. They made the mistake of extending goalies with term multiple times before ensuring they are a fit in the system. It gives both sides clarify about the fit, and where the team is heading.

I can see him costing 8M, but not on an 8 year term.

8.XX over 5 years, or 6.XX over 7-8 years.

An 8 year contract for a goalie who will be 32 when it begins is risky, but you have to consider that even if they don't put him on LTIR and send him to MacArthur Cove, 6.XX for a goalie is going to be like veteran backup money 6+ years from now.

As far as the cost of the house, as creepy as it is for us to know all these specifics, I will point out that 5M CAD for a house when a player makes 13.5M CAD before escrow+taxes is like your average Canadian buying a house for 30k. Even if you if you assume half of that 13.5M doesn't go to the player, that's still less than a year's salary to buy a house.

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
Swayman admitted he was making a point to set the market for all goaltenders going forward - wouldn't be suprised to see Ullmark re-up with the Sens soon after Jeremy signs his very lucrative contract with the Bruins.

Maybe they'll have one last 'patented' goalie hug to close things out. Bros before hoes.

• Haha
Reactions: LiseL and bicboi64

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I must say, it's a bit odd having so many people in here who know where the players live. And 5 mil for Chabot's place...that's insane. Even with a great NHL salary, that's a big expense.
Not really....if your in the business of real estate or are in a circle of people who deal in real estate, the world becomes very very small. You hear about these as they are transpiring.....such as, Ullmark was dealing on the same home David Perron in Stittsville and then Ullmark did the pivot to westboro on the advice of Alfie.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
Not really....if your in the business of real estate or are in a circle of people who deal in real estate, the world becomes very very small. You hear about these as they are transpiring.....such as, Ullmark was dealing on the same home David Perron in Stittsville and then Ullmark did the pivot to westboro on the advice of Alfie.

Is it the crazy house that the crypto guy owned?

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
f*** outta here with this wannabe GoT bullshit. A Realestate license is next to a Smart-Serve certificate - both can cash out depending on how much bs they're willing to serve.

Pretending like it's some "illusive" club lmao. Realtor.ca - there's you're very, very small world.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Just an opinion, but unfortunately I think Ullmark and his agent hold the cards here. They likely don’t see any advantages in signing early and potentially see some advantages in maintaining their leverage and waiting to see how things unfold. As a fan, I’d like to hear that he’s signed, but that’s probably not how you’d play the game to negotiate the best deal. Just to be clear though, I really hope he signs and reasonable deal with the Senators.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Securing a house for like 60% of one year's salary sounds pretty good!

For sure.

But at the same time, a lot of these guys are only making bank for around a decade or so...not the 40 years most of us working stiffs do. Got to set things up to make sure that money lasts, and that you can still afford that lifestyle 30+ years after retirement.

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
aka Ullmark wants to wait
Which exactly what he already stated publicly he'd like to do a couple months ago when he was acquired, he doesn't want to talk contract extension this summer, he'd like to see how the season goes first. That's not super encouraging to the notion of an extension here, but he might not necessarily be dead set against it either.

Staios will definitely need to wine and dine him to get him to commit, and he'll have to really love the team and city, along with a fat contract to actually stay, since he knows he'll only be months away from many other suitors willing to match whatever Ottawa offers and more.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
For sure.

But at the same time, a lot of these guys are only making bank for around a decade or so...not the 40 years most of us working stiffs do. Got to set things up to make sure that money lasts, and that you can still afford that lifestyle 30+ years after retirement.
If these guys invest even a fraction of their earnings they can set themselves up to have an extremely comfortable lifestyle for life, buy the house with one year's salary, invest in dividend yeilding stocks the next, those dividends should mean a lifetime of not having to worry about the future. After that, the rest of your career earnings can be risked on whatever you want. That's not even a particularly savvy plan, they can brute force investment into lifetime comfort.

A decade of making bank... In one year they make as much as the average joe did over their lifetime.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
f*** outta here with this wannabe GoT bullshit. A Realestate license is next to a Smart-Serve certificate - both can cash out depending on how much bs they're willing to serve.

Pretending like it's some "illusive" club lmao. Realtor.ca - there's you're very, very small world.

Why are you so angry

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Made me laugh though. Realtors are a special bunch. Some good ones out there but it is an industry with a low entry requirement and is littered with incompetence, big egos, and lack of ethics.
Yeah but if you were a real estate agent. And know a lot of real estate agents you would likely know some things that non real estate agents would know.
Whether you think it’s low entry point or not they still have info that other people might not.

Which seems to be where that guy took exception.

Reactions: mysens

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yeah but if you were a real estate agent. And know a lot of real estate agents you would likely know some things that non real estate agents would know.
Whether you think it’s low entry point or not they still have info that other people might not.

Which seems to be where that guy took exception.
For sure. I just find it funny anytime I see Realtors being criticized because the industry as a whole has a quality control problem. I was a real estate conveyancer for years, so I have first hand experience with how much of a joke some can be and the unethical shit we'd see.

Reactions: ijif

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Real Estate "professionals"
Seriously.

A permit? Oh, we'll just jot this purchase down as "as is where is" don't you worry your little heart about it! I must have forgot to pull building file information... oops.

A lawyer for your side? Oh, don't worry, I've got a guy that'll do both sides and make sure no issues come up that might stop the deal from going through.

Feeling squeezed for funds after your down payment? Lets make an above asking price offer and throw in the difference as a "credit" for x,y or z so you can put less down.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Made me laugh though. Realtors are a special bunch. Some good ones out there but it is an industry with a low entry requirement and is littered with incompetence, big egos, and lack of ethics.
No doubt about it....and two, three years ago they were all riding on a high Covid market. My dog could have sold a house for god sakes....now, they are struggling and all the new Real Estate agents are working in restaurants and retail.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Ullmark is the type of goalie that teams will create capspace for. If Ullmark just cares about the $ amount, there's plenty of teams that need surefire goaltending that he'd be an upgrade on. Trading away Ullmark won't reduce his value considering Swayman is an elite goalie. Ullmark's sample size in the post season isn't he largest either.

Utah, Buffalo, Detroit, Calgary, CBJ, etc., and there's more teams that would shell out the money because we still have GMs in the league that are running teams in win now mode and won't have to worry about the ramifications of signing Ullmark to a mammoth contract.

Heck, if Ullmark puts up a Vezina calibre season, it's in Ottawa's best interests to sign him to that deal because he'd provide stability in a position we've been missing in several years. I really hope he signs for a deal less than $8 million in Ottawa, just saying I'm not surprised considering the cap is going up.
It's been reported he doesn't want to go out west or in a big market so your list is good except for Calgary (out west). I agree we'd have some competition for his services if he continues playing well. On the Boston boards, many fans said he actually outplayed Swayman during the regular season last year but Swayman was lights out in the playoffs. I think Ullmark was disappointed to not be given an opportunity to redeem himself this past year in the playoffs. I imagine he's just as hungry for playoffs as the rest of the team.

Reactions: bicboi64

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
For sure. I just find it funny anytime I see Realtors being criticized because the industry as a whole has a quality control problem. I was a real estate conveyancer for years, so I have first hand experience with how much of a joke some can be and the unethical shit we'd see.
My nephew really lucked out with his agent. He wanted to buy a mobile home and it was an all cash purchase. The asking price was $236,000. His agent told him to offer $210,000 as the previous offer fell through due to financing. It's harder to finance a mobile home because you lease the land. They accepted his offer so the agent received a smaller commission due to his recommendation. Those types of agents are rare unless you are related to one or they're a friend.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
No doubt about it....and two, three years ago they were all riding on a high Covid market. My dog could have sold a house for god sakes....now, they are struggling and all the new Real Estate agents are working in restaurants and retail.
Ya that was just absurd during Covid. Way too easy for them.

We've seen that on some commercial deals where the majority of the work is put on the Lawyers and bankers getting their volume based business relatively low fees while the listing agent is walking away with massive commissions for double ending a deal. Kind of infuriating tbh.
My nephew really lucked out with his agent. He wanted to buy a mobile home and it was an all cash purchase. The asking price was $236,000. His agent told him to offer $210,000 as the previous offer fell through due to financing. It's harder to finance a mobile home because you lease the land. They accepted his offer so the agent received a smaller commission due to his recommendation. Those types of agents are rare unless you are related to one or they're a friend.
Sounds like they actually put your nephew's needs first with their advice which is always good to hear and where the priorities should be. I live in a relatively small city and know who I'd use just through work and some past experience.

I think the problem is that its not the clients that is the focus. Beyond commission being their salaries, and the issue of buyers agents and who they really represent, but also so many ime are more concerned about their instagram and garnering a reputation from image over their quality of service. Some of them don't even know what a permit is and just urge clients to take things as is where is when they are unsure. Much of the issues they might create get passed on to the lawyers, so clients often walk away blaming the wrong party in the end anyways.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
We needed a 1G and we got one. Still kinda numb by it. When is last time we had one? 16/17?

8 years ago is nuts. And that was middle of the pack. Last tiime we had great goaltending was a decade ago.

Ullmark can change that. Really hope we give him the defensive support he needs, especially on that 3rd pairing because we know Chabot will go down and maybe even Zub for a stretch or two. Ugh.

Stone won us the off-season by this significant move. Getting an upper echelon number 1. Still kinda numb by it.

Last edited:

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Ullmark / Agent would have signed for 8x8 at the time of the trade apparently.

Sens are hoping the numbers can come down a little if he settles in and enjoys the city/team.

Might bite them in the ass as he gets closer to Free Agency, but hopefully things can be different under Andlauer and company.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Ullmark / Agent would have signed for 8x8 at the time of the trade apparently.

Sens are hoping the numbers can come down a little if he settles in and enjoys the city/team.

Might bite them in the ass as he gets closer to Free Agency, but hopefully things can be different under Andlauer and company.

8x8? That's like 20 Westboro mansions..

• Haha
Reactions: DrEasy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad