Tribute Dick Tärnström

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
But that EK was a -26 or whatever. He's also a career -99. Also a near decade since he played a full 82 games. The Pens should be shocked he put up a +4 in 82.
I know it's been covered to death already, but EK in that last season at SJ was actually a net 0 at even-strength play, which is quite the accomplishment considering how bad the team was. His minuses came from having the goalie pulled + some shorthanded goals.

The majority of his career he's played big minutes on meh teams, so his career +/- isn't that surprising, nor is his +4 this season despite the fact that we're a horrible finishing team and apparently had shit goaltending all year.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I know it's been covered to death already, but EK in that last season at SJ was actually a net 0 at even-strength play, which is quite the accomplishment considering how bad the team was. His minuses came from having the goalie pulled + some shorthanded goals.

The majority of his career he's played big minutes on meh teams, so his career +/- isn't that surprising, nor is his +4 this season despite the fact that we're a horrible finishing team and apparently had shit goaltending all year.
He also played on a couple of Sens teams that were quite good, where literally in one they were an OT away from going to the Stanley Cup Finals. And honestly, I think they would have also beaten the Nashville Predators that year for their first Stanley Cup, Kunitz decided to finally be useful and ruined it for them. Karlsson had 18pts in 19 games that playoffs, +13 as well.

That series, he had 5pts in 7 games and was +5.

I'm not going to join in on the Karlsson bashing, I don't think Quinn actually helped him as much as blokes think he did in SJ, that was Warsofsky, Quinn just got credit for it for some reason like he was some godsend to him yet has never done that for any f***ing player in his career. Acting like Quinn is some magician with defensemen is hilarious, I mean is he getting credit for Adam Fox? Lol no.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Dick was an extremely smart player with an extremely limited skillset. I think he would be a decent guy in today's NHL but the late 90's early 00's he needed a team, like the Penguins, who played the preliminary version of what is today "modern" NHL hockey - speed, skill, transition.

He was pretty good at the move Gonchar was great at, faking the pass to the high boards and moving to the high slot. Nothing about his shot was good except his selection (90% of his goals and points were based off a good low snapshot).

Even better, he could think the game high enough to work with a great player (ala rob brown, hrdina, Dupuis etc....). These are all guys who have limited toolbox but can absolutely succeed if someone great is around to open the box and carry the tools.

I think he was born a little too early to have a decent NHL career. A guy like goligoski reminded me of Dicky T.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ignatius

Utah Direwolf
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
I remember him more from playing EA NHL 2004 than anything else, same thing with Koltsov and the rest of the XGen Penguins.

In fact I recall reading an article from after the 2009 Cup win that reflected on just how bad some of the Penguins players had been in the decade previous. IIRC it was titled the "Not All Time List" and it was mainly XGen Penguins and some other players that just stunk for us like John Leclair.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Riikola, Pesonen and Plotnikov are definitely on my Mt Rushmore of overhyped European prospects. Who would you guys put up there with them?

I would put Rikko as an incomplete. He didn't get an opportunity here. Instead our brilliant HC decided Jack Johnson was better.

After that I believe he went back home.

Otherwise a solid list

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Dick Tärnström was an embarrassing joke of a player. Period.
An 11th round pick that had a 50pt season and even a 40pt season before that isn't an embarrassment by any standard. The mere fact he played 300+ games and had 140pts in the NHL given he was literally drafted in the 11th round in a league that doesn't draft past 7 anymore is impressive as f***.

Reactions: GilbertSeinfeld

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Riikola, Pesonen and Plotnikov are definitely on my Mt Rushmore of overhyped European prospects. Who would you guys put up there with them?
Riikola was actually decent, had he been given even half the love a shit bird like Ruhwedel got, who knows what could have been. Pesonen got the 4th line treatment by DIsco that Sullivan these days uses as foreplay before he goes to town on his Boston themed fleshlight and Plotnikov was literally someone Crosby was impressed by and likely spurred the signing for and then wasn't really used properly and also probably wasn't scouted as much as he should have been for what his game was and how it'd work on the Penguins. Because if you recall, Crosby was impressed by him and there were rumors about how the Penguins will sign him to play with Sid or Malkin, lol...more like 3rd line. Or had they bothered to even watch past the hype and did some scouting, they'd realize his skating wasn't good enough and it'd be a problem, oops lets blame the players instead.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
One of the GOATs

Should be in the HOF

I do love that he led a team in points. And not only was it a team, it was my (and your) favorite team. What the f***.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad