Confirmed with Link: Devils trade Marino and 5th to Utah for #49 and ‘25 EDM 2nd

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Teams can’t talk to free agents early…yet teams often sign mega deals with guys after only 5 minutes of talking. Suggests the back channel talking is real.
I'm still surprised Carolina isn't complaining about tampering at this point, the way the Pens did when the Sullivan rumors were heating up. Even with the wink wink stuff this is a LOT of smoke pre-July 1. They must literally not give a **** since they aren't signing him anyway.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Are we 100% on Pesche. Aren't we unable to talk to him yet? Only way I understand this trade.

Every insider has linked Pesce to NJ for a week. It will be a massive coup if the Devils do not get him, either something will have gone really wrong or someone came in with an unanticipated offer.

Reactions: My3Sons

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Every insider has linked Pesce to NJ for a week. It will be a massive coup if the Devils do not get him, either something will have gone really wrong or someone came in with an unanticipated offer.

Depending if NYR can offload Trouba them coming in last second would be classic them but I think if they get him off the books, it'll go to Lindgren ASAP and a top 6 forward. But I agree, I can't see why Fitz would do this if he didn't know Pesce would be a Devil on 7/1

I do wonder if the Pesce thing goes on past two PM on Monday will there be mass panic the way there was with Dougie when it took all day to work out his deal after we were rumored on him lol

Wouldn't care unless Roy gets signed in the same time period lol

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Depending if NYR can offload Trouba them coming in last second would be classic them but I think if they get him off the books, it'll go to Lindgren ASAP and a top 6 forward. But I agree, I can't see why Fitz would do this if he didn't know Pesce would be a Devil on 7/1

Wouldn't care unless Roy gets signed in the same time period lol
The Rangers would try to splurge on Stamkos and Patrick Kane before they paid through the nose for Pesce lol

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I still hate trading a young Dman on a good contract when his value is at the lowest, on the basis of a rumor that we're getting an aging replacement on what's going to be a big contract. There's going to be lots of money tied up in D.
I'm reserving my judgement till I see the deal Pesce signs but I'm already preparing for an ugly 6-40 type of contract and Dillon to get like a 4-year deal lol

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
The offer for pesce is apparently 6.5x6.
It’s very real they’re aiming for him. He’s apparently interested as well. Devils will also apparently take a run at Dillon.

I’m just annoyed another good trade piece, like the first round pick we pissed away on a project when better players were there with less issues, was used for nothing picks.

Reactions: billingtons ghost

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The Rangers would try to splurge on Stamkos and Patrick Kane before they paid through the nose for Pesce lol

They still need a right side dman, I highly doubt they run it back with the same defense and give Schneider those Trouba minutes even though Schneider looked good with Trouba out in March. And they'd have a ton of cap space for Pesce who grew up as a Rags fan, he would spurn us if the Rags got money last second and they approached lol.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I'm still surprised Carolina isn't complaining about tampering at this point, the way the Pens did when the Sullivan rumors were heating up. Even with the wink wink stuff this is a LOT of smoke pre-July 1. They must literally not give a **** since they aren't signing him anyway.
Who knows, maybe Carolina gave him permission to seek a deal pre free agency so they could get a pick for his rights

Either that or Dougie is hammering the recruitment

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
We didn't trade him at 'low' value, we traded him at meh value. Were we supposed to trade him after last offseason? Or hope he bounced back just to trade him for marginally more next offseason? This is actually an improvement over 'Ty Smith and a third' that we traded for him two years ago.

Fitz clearly wants to remake the defense and goaltending at both NHL and prospect level.

Somehow the Ty Smith thing factors into this for people, so yeah I REALLY don't think people understand value.

You have a young Dman who was our best two years ago eating #1 minutes with a stable partner, then inherited a top role and a learning 22 year old partner and a forward group who thought they could play River hockey.

I dont think Marino was nearly as bad as people think he was and we really don't have ac replacement for Bahl yet...

So let's trade away another defenseman.

There's got to be more to the story, like people are just down on him as a person bc this isn't a smart trade.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
And a draft pick haul? I'm sorry when do we expect to compete for a cup? 2030? There's a five year window at least before yesterday's pick becomes Marino value if he ever does. Wyatt makes anyone think those second rounders will hit our window?

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I still hate trading a young Dman on a good contract when his value is at the lowest, on the basis of a rumor that we're getting an aging replacement on what's going to be a big contract. There's going to be lots of money tied up in D.
I think the clock is ticking for Dougie and Siege, neither will finish their contract here.

Dougie could be gone as early as next summer depending on how Nemec's development goes. Next summer his contract becomes much more moveable. His NMC becomes a M-NTC with a 10 team trade list, and after his 2025 signing bonus gets paid he'll only have about 15M in actual cash owed for his final 3 seasons.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

I'm with you. Just now hoping there is something substantial locked in plan because as of right now this D is massively missing core prices. We went from 2 years ago so deep that severson was 3rd pairing to currently massive holes.

Marino fit well, though he had a rough season last season, he was fantastic prior to that.

Giving him up on a promise seems risky as hell. Whomever we are trying to land (via trade or FA) better be worth it and whatever deal it is better not f***ing fall through!

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Somehow the Ty Smith thing factors into this for people, so yeah I REALLY don't think people understand value.

You have a young Dman who was our best two years ago eating #1 minutes with a stable partner, then inherited a top role and a learning 22 year old partner and a forward group who thought they could play River hockey.

I dont think Marino was nearly as bad as people think he was and we really don't have ac replacement for Bahl yet...

So let's trade away another defenseman.

There's got to be more to the story, like people are just down on him as a person bc this isn't a smart trade.
Marino wasn’t bad by all means

It could be a number of things from disturbing trend analytically they saw or something simple as keefe not preferring Marino. I don’t think we will ever really find out but they cashed out and are going to re roll

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I know it's a message board and people want to discuss the trade, and some folks are going to be upset about it. But I really don't see the issue here, they traded into the second round to get the top ranked goalie on the board.

I don't think two second round picks is terribly bad value? Didn't the Red wings just have to pay a second round pick to dump a defenseman?

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
IMG_7850.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes