Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostofKenKlee

There will be a Marty night. No one is passing up a chance to get as close to a guaranteed sell out while the team is rebuilding.

It's all about scheduling and getting everyone important in the same room.

What if Marty doesn't want to do it this year or doesn't make himself available?

The owners may need it and any cash grab. Perhaps they (the owners) give the paying the best product they can instead of relying on legends for legends night. We would close to emulating the Rangers post 1994 in their non playoff years if they need to rely on legends to sell tickets.

Lou Night
Re honor Stevens
Re honor Doc

They should have a Jimmy Dowd night as well as other nights to help sell a few more seats.

Last edited by a moderator:

GhostofKenKlee

so is TG the only one who you trust with Devils info? :laugh:

half the time hes wrong and/or late with his info

His response to a fan on his blog that asked him what were the odds of Kovalchuk being a Devil when the chatter started his response was: In your dreams to the fan.

He also use to post trade scenarios he heard on his blog. Funny stuff.

Who knows, the new owners and Shero may use him as a mouthpiece to spit out the party line going forward.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
His competition are the following:

Chere

Strang- Who covers all three team in the area.

Wow, two beat writers.

Plus a kid who lives in his mom's basement that lives in Toronto that blogs and abbreviated version's of his post.

Actually, TG is not that good he misses alot of big events and mocks the fans and HATES covering the Devils.

Yeah I never said his competition was great but his reporting is solid. What are these big events you claim that he misses?

I'll give you that he mocks fans, but he also gets asked a lot of dumb questions and many of them more than once. I think that would frustrate me too.

GhostofKenKlee

Yeah I never said his competition was great but his reporting is solid. What are these big events you claim that he misses?

I'll give you that he mocks fans, but he also gets asked a lot of dumb questions and many of them more than once. I think that would frustrate me too.

Mocking your readers/clients is not professional at all.

A beat writer worth his weight that covers a team would give you a bit more insight. He's not some wet behind the ears guy.

Kovalchuk/Ownership problems/new owners not happy with Lou/Lou leaving/Vendors not getting paid/player to speak otr about lou or any events are a few big ones. when was the last time he got any player to speak otr?

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Mocking your readers/clients is not professional at all.

A beat writer worth his weight that covers a team would give you a bit more insight. He's not some wet behind the ears guy.

Kovalchuk/Ownership problems/new owners not happy with Lou/Lou leaving/Vendors not getting paid/player to speak otr about lou or any events are a few big ones. when was the last time he got any player to speak otr?

You got a point, but I also think he's learned from that debacle. When he answers questions now, you can tell he's annoyed but it's still factual.

I also think the judgment about getting players to speak off the record is a bit unfair. We all knew that Lou ran a tight ship and he would have shipped anyone out that leaked information to the press. Lou era TG basically only got to report on press releases. In Shero's short time he's been quicker to get information out because his inside sources aren't as scared for their lives.

Who from this area would you claim is better though? Grossman? Stapleton? When I get information from TG, I know it's reliable and to me that's the most important thing.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I love TG, but then again I refuse to follow any beat writers that don't mock fans for asking dumb questions that they could have just googled.

So you think Boedker should be targeted and don't know what his value is? Or don't you understand when I posted that he is not likely to be traded until January unless OEL gets a pairing partner coming back? Or perhaps you don't understand what went on with his latest contract negotiations? Mikkel wanting term, while GMDM wanted to give him a 2 year and instead they settle on a 1 year prove it contract doesn't sound like Boedker wants out of Arizona! Isn't it surprising the number of players who left the Coyote Organization, keep coming back? But thank you for your condescending post, at least you replied.

Simmer down there. Pretty sure everyone here means that IF Boedker makes it to free agency next year, we should try to sign him. Nobody is saying that Arizona should trade him to us now for some scraps. Nobody here closely follows his contract negotiations. All anyone here knows is that he is a good young player set to become a UFA and we're in such desperate need for young forwards that all we can do is hope against all hope that players like Boedker hit free agency and we can throw enough money at them to get them here. The same thing happens with lots of players every year.

I used to be a Thrashers fan, I know how it feels to have everyone else assume your players are going to walk every year. But you have to understand that most other people have no idea how contract negotiations are working with players from other teams. Calmly explaining this to people may help, but coming onto other teams' boards and accusatory and aggressive about things isn't going to help.

GhostofKenKlee

You got a point, but I also think he's learned from that debacle. When he answers questions now, you can tell he's annoyed but it's still factual.

I also think the judgment about getting players to speak off the record is a bit unfair. We all knew that Lou ran a tight ship and he would have shipped anyone out that leaked information to the press. Lou era TG basically only got to report on press releases. In Shero's short time he's been quicker to get information out because his inside sources aren't as scared for their lives.

Who from this area would you claim is better though? Grossman? Stapleton? When I get information from TG, I know it's reliable and to me that's the most important thing.

Speaking off the record happens alot in jouranlism. It happens in every industry and press.

Unless the Devils make players sign non disclosures.

You don't find it interesting that a man that ran this team for 28 years is gone and NOT one player on or off the record has spoken about it. Only thing I heard was Squid on Toronto media state how great Lou is.

They all fear being shut out the building or players current and former must sign non disclosures.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Speaking off the record happens alot in jouranlism. It happens in every industry and press.

Unless the Devils make players sign non disclosures.

It does and I noticed it's been happening more often in the Shero era. Even when Lou announced that he hired Shero, he had a line where he said that the move was strongly pushed by management. Palmieri's trade also broke before it was officially announced. It has more to do with the administration I think.

GhostofKenKlee

It does and I noticed it's been happening more often in the Shero era. Even when Lou announced that he hired Shero, he had a line where he said that the move was strongly pushed by management. Palmieri's trade also broke before it was officially announced. It has more to do with the administration I think.

You are talking front office stuff and that was Lou On the record.

I'm talking anything sources state or things along that line.

So Lou treats beat writers like mushrooms and Shero just shovels the **** in daylight.

I'm not talking about reporting press releases and On the record stuff, i'm talking about actually journalism and if TG were better at it he would be on TV/Radio or national. He is what he is. That's why he's not on MSG/SNY as a regular. Print Journalist make nothing in terms of pay. The good ones transisition to news and sports networks or other media.

Last edited by a moderator:

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
You are talking front office stuff and that was Lou On the record.

I'm talking anything sources state or things along that line.

So Lou treats beat writers like mushrooms and Shero just shovels the **** in daylight.

I'm not talking about reporting press releases and On the record stuff, i'm talking about actually journalism and if TG were better at it he would be on TV/Radio or national. He is what he is. That's why he's not on MSG/SNY as a regular. Print Journalist make nothing in terms of pay. The good ones transisition to news and sports networks or other media.

I don't necessarily think that the barometer for how good a reporter is at their job is their platform, but if you believe that you're entitled to your opinion.

GhostofKenKlee

I don't necessarily think that the barometer for how good a reporter is at their job is their platform, but if you believe that you're entitled to your opinion.

If you think the best people in media are employed by the papers like the record and the star ledger you are entitled to that opinion. Ask any beat writer if they would take a talking head job and all would run. The very best print guys are also doing call in shows/satellite shows as the beat guy.

In a platform like print media (which is dying) the guys that paid their dues move on. Most or all great tv journalist in sports came from the print medium.

Now, a speciality niche sport which is underserved by regular media employs people who have good sources and articles. Look at Frank Servarelli just got hired by tsn.ca which is the gold standard of hockey coverage. He paid his dues with the Flyers beat.

You can continue to believe that he has great insight overall, when reality suggests he's been sleeping at the wheel for the most seismic events the last few years.

At least Chere takes a risk and provokes reactions/discussion.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I actually think maintaining a job as a print reporter is an indicator of being good. It's a pretty volatile job landscape.

GhostofKenKlee

I actually think maintaining a job as a print reporter is an indicator of being good. It's a pretty volatile job landscape.

I see it as being hacks if that's all they are doing. Chere pushes the clickbait more than anything.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
If you think the best people in media are employed by the papers like the record and the star ledger you are entitled to that opinion. Ask any beat writer if they would take a talking head job and all would run. The very best print guys are also doing call in shows/satellite shows as the beat guy.

In a platform like print media (which is dying) the guys that paid their dues move on. Most or all great tv journalist in sports came from the print medium.

Now, a speciality niche sport which is underserved by regular media employs people who have good sources and articles. Look at Frank Servarelli just got hired by tsn.ca which is the gold standard of hockey coverage. He paid his dues with the Flyers beat.

You can continue to believe that he has great insight overall, when reality suggests he's been sleeping at the wheel for the most seismic events the last few years.

Sorry, this is where I'm going to strongly disagree that anything Chere does is good. Chere is a clickbait reporter and many times has gotten stories wrong because he was too quick to report information. I really hate when his speculation is the headline in his articles. That guy is a hack.

You also aren't considering what TG wants to do. Maybe he was offered a tsn job but turned it down because he doesn't want to move, we don't know his business. Besides, I think we can agree that most of TG's traffic goes through his blog.

There's only one event that TG didn't report on, that's when Vanderbeek was going broke. Only the Post had that. I don't know if he had insight on that situation so it's hard to speculate. However, if he did, I can see why he didn't report it.

1. Reporting that information with out solid double confirmations is likely going to restrict his access even more than it already was during the Lou era. The New York Post didn't give care about what their relationship with the team would be like.

2. A story like that could very well get somebody fired. There are lots of people who's livelihood depend on the Devils and that's a responsibility you can't take lightly.

Other than that, what specific events has he been asleep at the wheel? Again, keeping in mind that Lou had the entire organization under lock and key?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

I read TG and Chere for the varied perspectives.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
Casual admirer of Elias over his career. Has he made any announcement whether or not this will be his final year?

GhostofKenKlee

Sorry, this is where I'm going to strongly disagree that anything Chere does is good. Chere is a clickbait reporter and many times has gotten stories wrong because he was too quick to report information. I really hate when his speculation is the headline in his articles. That guy is a hack.

You also aren't considering what TG wants to do. Maybe he was offered a tsn job but turned it down because he doesn't want to move, we don't know his business. Besides, I think we can agree that most of TG's traffic goes through his blog.

There's only one event that TG didn't report on, that's when Vanderbeek was going broke. Only the Post had that. I don't know if he had insight on that situation so it's hard to speculate. However, if he did, I can see why he didn't report it.

1. Reporting that information with out solid double confirmations is likely going to restrict his access even more than it already was during the Lou era. The New York Post didn't give care about what their relationship with the team would be like.

2. A story like that could very well get somebody fired. There are lots of people who's livelihood depend on the Devils and that's a responsibility you can't take lightly.

Other than that, what specific events has he been asleep at the wheel? Again, keeping in mind that Lou had the entire organization under lock and key?

Where did I say Chere does anything good?

There is such a thing as having sources and it's obvious that TG hardly has one if any at all. Again, i'm talking Off the Record pieces.

You state that he missed the Devils being broke or "protecting" their relationship whereas the Post doesn't care about relationship. If that's the case, TG should just be the in house writer.

He has missed alot of big events, I'm just shocked you choose to defend him on that matter.

Blame Lou for running a tight ship, He still has a job to do.

How do you explain the lack of chatter outside of what Shero tells him or press releases.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

There is such a thing as having sources and it's obvious that TG hardly has one if any at all. Again, i'm talking Off the Record pieces.

You state that he missed the Devils being broke or "protecting" their relationship whereas the Post doesn't care about relationship. If that's the case, TG should just be the in house writer.

He has missed alot of big events, I'm just shocked you choose to defend him on that matter.

How do you explain the lack of chatter outside of what Shero tells him or press releases.

But TG doesn't write for sources, he writes for the facts and he gives you the information transparently without trying to massively twist the words. He's not a rumor reporter; he's a fact guy. I would prefer that coverage versus someone like Chere who doesn't have source and instead twists stuff for hits.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah TG got Kovalchuk wrong, nobody saw that coming other than Denis Potvin apparently. Chere also got Paul MacLean wrong last year, are we gonna hold that against him forever?

Chere does have sources (the Scott Stevens leaving last year cause of differences with Pete was one he definitely nailed) but I don't like giving him credit or props cause he's a ****, not only has the Ledger gotten more Post-ish in its op-eds and clickbait but Chere's also spread some fallacies like when he said on Sirius there's usually 50% Ranger fans at the Rock, even during the 2012 playoffs.

But I'd trust either of them in terms of breaking news before I trust some random dude on Reddit. Reporters have to have real sources (whether the sources are playing them or not is another story), anyone on the internet can post anything and not face consequences for it - other than maybe not being allowed to post on a specific board.

GhostofKenKlee

But TG doesn't write for sources, he writes for the facts and he gives you the information transparently without trying to massively twist the words. He's not a rumor reporter; he's a fact guy. I would prefer that coverage versus someone like Chere who doesn't have source and instead twists stuff for hits.

Please don't confuse rumor mongering for journalism.

GhostofKenKlee

Yeah TG got Kovalchuk wrong, nobody saw that coming other than Denis Potvin apparently. Chere also got Paul MacLean wrong last year, are we gonna hold that against him forever?

Chere does have sources (the Scott Stevens leaving last year cause of differences with Pete was one he definitely nailed) but I don't like giving him credit or props cause he's a ****, not only has the Ledger gotten more Post-ish in its op-eds and clickbait but Chere's also spread some fallacies like when he said on Sirius there's usually 50% Ranger fans at the Rock, even during the 2012 playoffs.

But I'd trust either of them in terms of breaking news before I trust some random dude on Reddit. Reporters have to have real sources (whether the sources are playing them or not is another story), anyone on the internet can post anything and not face consequences for it - other than maybe not being allowed to post on a specific board.

I hear you on the reddit/twitter/other things. My buddy does twitter and someone faked being Zidlicky and he announced his retirement. His agent had to shoot it down immediately.

I think TG is the best of the two, but that's not saying much. By the time they break something, so has tsn/sportsnet or LeBrun on espn.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site

Ok, first of all, you have no evidence to back your claim that he has no sources with the Devils. Second, a journalist isn't obligated to give up his sources, it's actually the opposite.

Frankly, TG isn't asked to do intense investigative journalism. Nobody expects him to be Woodward and Bernstein so I'm not sure the type of standard you would like to hold him to. Just that he gets his facts and his reporting right, which he undeniably does.

Last edited:

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
We've actually devolved into two pages of TG-criticism now. The season REALLY needs to start soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad