Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostofKenKlee

Ok, first of all, you have no evidence to back your claim that he has no sources with the Devils. Second, a journalist isn't obligated to give up his sources, it's actually the opposite. Third, I keep asking you what big events he's missed and you haven't cited any examples. The only one I can think of is the Vanderbeek example.

Frankly, TG isn't asked to do intense investigative journalism. Nobody expects him to be Woodward and Bernstein so I'm not sure the type of standard you would like to hold him to. Just that he gets his facts and his reporting right, which he undeniably does.

Intense Journalism, you are right he seems to do the bare minimum if that.

I listed them, you must of missed them.

I gave the big "events":

Kovalchuk
Lou stepping down as GM
Lou leaving the organization
Vanderbeek
Financial Woes
Team for sale
New Owners.

Those are actually big events. That's not investigative journalism...:shakehead

How about other stuff that other writers in other markets get?

Yeah, if a beat writer misses those and or is choosing to sit on the story, you make up your own mind. Oh, Lou didn't let anything leak out that must be it. If that's you r stance, why bother with beat writers? Just get the in house media guy to spoon feed you what they want you know.

Woodward and Bernstein, interesting. It seems you making excuses for the lack or justifying the lack of coverage. It's ok, you should try and read coverage of other teams in other sports once in awhile (if you don't already). Better yet, go read what the Flyers/Rangers and other market teams writers cover. Go see what the Hab writers or Leafs writer come up with.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Intense Journalism, you are right he seems to do the bare minimum if that.

I listed them, you must of missed them.

I gave the big "events":

Kovalchuk
Lou stepping down as GM
Lou leaving the organization
Vanderbeek
Financial Woes
Team for sale
New Owners.

Those are actually big events. That's not investigative journalism...:shakehead

How about other stuff that other writers in other markets get?

Yeah, if a beat writer misses those and or is choosing to sit on the story, you make up your own mind. Oh, Lou didn't let anything leak out that must be it. If that's you r stance, why bother with beat writers? Just get the in house media guy to spoon feed you what they want you know.

Woodward and Bernstein, interesting. It seems you making excuses for the lack or justifying the lack of coverage. It's ok, you should try and read coverage of other teams in other sports once in awhile (if you don't already). Better yet, go read what the Flyers/Rangers and other market teams writers cover. Go see what the Hab writers or Leafs writer come up with.

I know I missed that part of your argument in your earlier posts, that's why I deleted that part. However, Lou's administration being extremely secretive isn't just a myth. James Duthie said during a Q&A once the Lou was a vault and it was damn near impossible to get information from him. Do you think it's coincidence that trades are suddenly being leaked to the press when they weren't before?

Hey man, you don't like the guy, you're entitled to your opinion, but he is with out a doubt the most reliable reporter for the Devils and maybe out of all three NY areas teams. You can't tell me that he isn't the most accurate and I'd rather have a guy miss out on being 1st than report bad information, but those are the journalistic values that I appreciate. You may think otherwise and that's fine.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean it's not like TG's losing scoops to Randy Miller. If McKenzie scoops him on something is that really TG's fault...a lot of people like and trust McKenzie, he's the NHL equivalent of an older Adam Schefter. Some of the other big Canadian writers are pretty well respected too and usually get scoops before the beat guys.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't care for Chere, though sometimes he'll provide a nice piece like the Chico Q&A recently.

I think TG is more in depth. Chere hasn't always been this troll, it's just something he seems to have acquired in his old age.

I'm still laughing over his "Devils players believe Paul MacLean is their next coach" and there was another one he was way off on pretty recently too. I can't remember what it was.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Please don't confuse rumor mongering for journalism.

To me, I appreciate what TG does. He reports everything as is without trying to twist the words. He doesn't have sources nor does he pretend to have sources.

I hate how Chere takes stuff and just misinterprets a phrase to get hits. That's not journalism that's just trying to get hits. You can complain that TG doesn't do that or doesn't have sources but that's not his thing. He will report on something once someone he trusts says something about it -- like McKenzie, Dreger, etc -- but not some random blogger that doesn't have much sources.

I don't think people really appreciate what we have with TG with respect to other beat reporters for other teams.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
To me, I appreciate what TG does. He reports everything as is without trying to twist the words. He doesn't have sources nor does he pretend to have sources.

I hate how Chere takes stuff and just misinterprets a phrase to get hits. That's not journalism that's just trying to get hits. You can complain that TG doesn't do that or doesn't have sources but that's not his thing. He will report on something once someone he trusts says something about it -- like McKenzie, Dreger, etc -- but not some random blogger that doesn't have much sources.

I don't think people really appreciate what we have with TG with respect to other beat reporters for other teams.

Well it's not like we follow beat writers for other teams either, who really knows how many of them are good and whether they let their agendas come into play the way Chere did when he op-eded Lou should be fired.

Plus it's not like the financial/business stuff is really TG's domain, that's why you get guys like Kosman (who rumor mongers himself to a degree...like saying the Yotes were moving a while back was a whopper of jumping the gun) digging into the team being for sale before the beat guys, he's a financial guy not a hockey reporter.

GhostofKenKlee

Well it's not like we follow beat writers for other teams either, who really knows how many of them are good and whether they let their agendas come into play the way Chere did when he op-eded Lou should be fired.

Plus it's not like the financial/business stuff is really TG's domain, that's why you get guys like Kosman (who rumor mongers himself to a degree...like saying the Yotes were moving a while back was a whopper of jumping the gun) digging into the team being for sale before the beat guys, he's a financial guy not a hockey reporter.

Kosman got alot of his work from the forbes sports financial beat writer.

Is there any major event that has happened to the team that TG has nailed?

If the standard is what people are pointing to, you don't need beat writers. TG should take a job with the front office and just continue to report the official line/thought they are putting out.

GhostofKenKlee

So the issue with TG is that he isn't the first to break stories?

Which stories has he broken? major events have happened in Devils land that he has either dismissed (prior to Kovalchuk trade) or reported after the Devils made it public info.

GhostofKenKlee

Complain? What good are "sources" if you don't report on what they say? That's silly to state, if you are a journalist sources are one of your most important tools and it what makes you who you are.

Than you are just a blogger like Cordell who reports on what reporters state and cite them and offer their opinion.

You can report on something after McKenzie confirms it, i mean really everyone has access to twitter and breaking news feeds.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

It might just be me, but to me, a beat reporter should do exactly what TG does. Report what he's told, maybe if TG would have sources if the Devils weren't notoriously secret about what they do. I've seen plenty of fans who follow multiple teams say they wish their beat reporters were like TG.

Complain? What good are "sources" if you don't report on what they say? That's silly to state, if you are a journalist sources are one of your most important tools and it what makes you who you are.

Than you are just a blogger like Cordell who reports on what reporters state and cite them and offer their opinion.

You can report on something after McKenzie confirms it, i mean really everyone has access to twitter and breaking news feeds.

The Devils have never been a team that leaks information -- it's kind of the nature of Lou running a tight ship with very few employees. The owners say they've doubled the people working for the Devils, which just shows you how few people they had. The difference between Cordell and TG is TG is actively around the team, at games, and therefore he gets more information from pressers, the dressing room, practices, etc.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Which stories has he broken? major events have happened in Devils land that he has either dismissed (prior to Kovalchuk trade) or reported after the Devils made it public info.

So that is your issue? That he isn't the first guy to break stories? That's something that may not even be in his control.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Gulitti is an excellent, reliable reporter. He does things the right way and gets us the information we need. This board has been unbearable lately.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
It's already a known fact that the new management just sends out a mass email when events happen. At least we saw this with the Larsson signing. Whoever is the first person to post it on Twitter "Breaks" the story... who gives a damn who posts it first??

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Now I know I didn't go to any games last year but when did section 229 seats jump to $62 a pop? Just looked at the Kids Day game to bring my daughter and for 3 tickets the total was like $232 or something.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
I like TG and he puts out alot of content to keep us informed. He reports the facts and will usually confirm something before reporting it as fact instead of partaking in rumor mongering. He can be grumpy but aI don;t blame him - he gets some of the same questions over and over and some of these are pretty stupid..It would be hard not to snap back at someone being an idiot.

As for Chere, he used to write some decent stuff but has gone downhill. I tweeted him and asked why the change and that I hated the new click bait headline and style to his stories and he directed me to write a letter complaining about it to his editor. He wasn;t being arrogant but rather, I think it's that his editor wants him to get high hit counts and to use a certain style to do it. I get the sense he doesn;t quite like it either...

Hands down, TG is the best in the area...Zipay is OK for the Rags too...

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
Now I know I didn't go to any games last year but when did section 229 seats jump to $62 a pop? Just looked at the Kids Day game to bring my daughter and for 3 tickets the total was like $232 or something.

Assuming you're looking at face value and with the variable pricing, I suspect the "kids game" is probably one of the premium games (excluding the Ranger games) mainly because it's a weekend matinee game...

Don;t agree with the philosophy but this is the trend, especially with the raping of NJ fans on ticket prices...

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Assuming you're looking at face value and with the variable pricing, I suspect the "kids game" is probably one of the premium games (excluding the Ranger games) mainly because it's a weekend matinee game...

Don;t agree with the philosophy but this is the trend, especially with the raping of NJ fans on ticket prices...

Well that's unfortunate. I forgot about the variable pricing and I'm sure fans will be put through the ringer for the matinees. That's just a lot of coin for a ticket that for most games is like $40 a piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad