Devils Team Discussion (team/player news and notes) ‎2015 offseason IX

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I personally don't care about promos/bobble heads but it would definitely be a cool promo to give out old player bobble heads of guys like Chico, Dano, Stevens, Nieds, etc

Now a Chico bobble head is something that would actually intrigue me :laugh:

Crazy that we're a mere 2 weeks away from training camp

Happy dance!

tumblr_nd91voSZ8Z1sjbr2bo1_400.gif

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I personally don't care about promos/bobble heads but it would definitely be a cool promo to give out old player bobble heads of guys like Chico, Dano, Stevens, Nieds, etc

Does it come with removable toupe?

Like I said - the Dano one I have could be just about anyone. The Stevens one is a monstrostity. Honestly - I'm glad they are nowhere near my bedroom else I simply wouldn't sleep.

and dude -
The parade route sucks already. I can just see it. Lou using his mind control would force it through East Rutherford and would have Dr. Gardi, their dentist from the 80s ride in the first car. It's all bad.

And finally - my parents and their friends *****ed about the upstairs cupholders for months and months. I think they lost some STHs because of that. Hilarious.

Last edited:

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I have a great idea for a GDT already. Well, I'll probably be the only one that laughs at it but that's okay.

So close to the season! Really hoping Shero can land someone ala Leddy/Boychuk last year, but those deals are hard to come by.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
For those wondering about third jerseys:

@ScottONeil: Teams make very little off jerseys only reason to do is if fans want them...they have in other markets. We will ask https://t.co/7BkPC22FWk

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

We NEED a chico bobble head night. Like NEED it.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Does it come with removable toupe?

I feel terrible for laughing at this, I really got a good one out of it though.:laugh:

Just because Chico is such a sweetheart of a person. He's also got a great sense of humor too, so if he was reading this (as a few people have said Chico, as well as others read this board from time to time), I'm sure he had a little chuckle too.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Speaking of Chico, I did get a chance to read his Q&A with Chere. Didn't get a chance to comment on it last week due to being on vacation.

I was sorry to hear of his sister in law's passing.

I loved what he had to say. I loved how he still refers to this team as ''We'' need this or that, instead of ''They''.

This man LOVES the Devils and he's possibly one of the biggest Devils fans there is. I know this just from talking to him. I would love for us to give Chico some kind of role, like he said he'd be open to doing. I don't think it would be right to Dano to kick him out and put Chico back in his old job though. Just bringing back Chico in segments like they'd have the Maven come on, would be nice. I'm talking about Stan's more current role, where we only see him every 2 or 3 home games if even that. I know Stan also does Islanders/Rangers stuff on other nights too, but I'd love to have Chico in that role with us. Just doing the intermission or post game/pre game stuff would be awesome.

I would actually be sad if Chico took a job with another team as a color commentator or on air personality, just because of how much he LOVES the Devils. If he did one of those jobs though, it wouldn't be because he didn't wanna work for the Devils or even because he got more money somewhere else. I could guarantee that. It would be because the Devils didn't want him.

One of the more fascinating things about Chico and his Devils allegiance is that he wasn't even on any of the championship teams and all in all, he wasn't even a player here for 5 years. He spent over 3 times longer in the broadcast booth than he did for us on the ice. He was part of the inaugural Devils team after moving to Jersey though. Chico was always very blunt and wasn't afraid to critique a player or something they did (or coaches or management) even if he did like them and no matter who that player or coach/management person was. Obviously not on air he wouldn't, though he would if you talked to him off air. Out of privacy and respect for him, I won't share some of the more honest and blunt things he's shared.

He and Dano are like the biggest Devils fans there are.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Speaking of Chico, I did get a chance to read his Q&A with Chere. Didn't get a chance to comment on it last week due to being on vacation.

I was sorry to hear of his sister in law's passing.

I loved what he had to say. I loved how he still refers to this team as ''We'' need this or that, instead of ''They''.

This man LOVES the Devils and he's possibly one of the biggest Devils fans there is. I know this just from talking to him. I would love for us to give Chico some kind of role, like he said he'd be open to doing. I don't think it would be right to Dano to kick him out and put Chico back in his old job though. Just bringing back Chico in segments like they'd have the Maven come on, would be nice. I'm talking about Stan's more current role, where we only see him every 2 or 3 home games if even that. I know Stan also does Islanders/Rangers stuff on other nights too, but I'd love to have Chico in that role with us. Just doing the intermission or post game/pre game stuff would be awesome.

I would actually be sad if Chico took a job with another team as a color commentator or on air personality, just because of how much he LOVES the Devils. If he did one of those jobs though, it wouldn't be because he didn't wanna work for the Devils or even because he got more money somewhere else. I could guarantee that. It would be because the Devils didn't want him.

One of the more fascinating things about Chico and his Devils allegiance is that he wasn't even on any of the championship teams and all in all, he wasn't even a player here for 5 years. He spent over 3 times longer in the broadcast booth than he did for us on the ice. He was part of the inaugural Devils team after moving to Jersey though. Chico was always very blunt and wasn't afraid to critique a player or something they did (or coaches or management) even if he did like them and no matter who that player or coach/management person was. Obviously not on air he wouldn't, though he would if you talked to him off air. Out of privacy and respect for him, I won't share some of the more honest and blunt things he's shared.

He and Dano are like the biggest Devils fans there are.

Amen, bro. He's one of the nicest guys out there and it would be great to have him in Stan's role, if he wants it.

Awww Bleed, now you made me feel bad.

I've met the guy a couple of times and shared a couple of elevators with him and Doc. He's one of the good ones.

Edit - and btw, did anyone conspicuously notice no 'Marty jersey retirement night' ? 'Lou night' ?

I'm guessing the Lou thing is stinging a bit - and I guess they did wait 2 years for Stevens and 3 for Dano...

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Amen, bro. He's one of the nicest guys out there and it would be great to have him in Stan's role, if he wants it.

I've met the guy a couple of times and shared a couple of elevators with him and Doc. He's one of the good ones.

Edit - and btw, did anyone conspicuously notice no 'Marty jersey retirement night' ? 'Lou night' ?

I'm guessing the Lou thing is stinging a bit - and I guess they did wait 2 years for Stevens and 3 for Dano...

I'm hoping we get a Marty night, we actually really NEED to have one this year. At least I think so.

Fans are already bashing ownership (and some of them Shero) to no end, I haven't been one of them though. If they don't do a Marty night this year, I think that's something that will piss people off even more and make them even more dissatisfied with this new regime.

There should be a Marty night this year though, absolutely no question. I said I wouldn't think they wouldn't have one this year, until we were in late August and there was no announcement yet. Now there hasn't been an official announcement yet, but I believe Shero did say there'd be a Marty night this year or that they were working on it, as well as a Lou night.

I don't think we should have a Lou night yet, at least not until he's retired. Though I absolutely do think they should do something to acknowledge him during the first game Toronto plays in New Jersey, which is coincidentally our season finale. A video package and showing of him on the tron, let fans take a few minutes to give him a standing ovation. If they do wanna give him a short ceremony on the ice before the game, I'm alright with that too. Though I think he should be retired before we have a huge night for him, like a night that has the equivalent of a jersey retirement does for a player.

If he's continuing to work after his 3 year contract in Toronto is up, I'd be fine with having the night then. Just because he'll be in his mid about 76 and as sad as this is to say, it might get to a point where you just don't know how much longer he'll be around.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Well technically Stevens retired just after the lockout ended and didn't play the second half of '03-04 so even though it was two years after his last game it wasn't as if they waited all that time. Dano they definitely waited on him so Stevens would be the first, as he should have been.

With Marty and Lou if there aren't nights for them it's impossible to say whether it's cause there's bad blood or because it's just hard to figure out a time to do it when they're both not working/traveling (they both have to be at each other's night). They still have time to do it although you'd think if they could do it this season they'd want to get it done before tickets go on sale next week.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well technically Stevens retired just after the lockout ended and didn't play the second half of '03-04 so even though it was two years after his last game it wasn't as if they waited all that time. Dano they definitely waited on him so Stevens would be the first, as he should have been.

With Marty and Lou if there aren't nights for them it's impossible to say whether it's cause there's bad blood or because it's just hard to figure out a time to do it when they're both not working/traveling (they both have to be at each other's night). They still have time to do it although you'd think if they could do it this season they'd want to get it done before tickets go on sale next week.

Well for Marty Shero already admitted plans were started for that before he was hired. I doubt Shero just axed those plans as it just makes zero sense to do that. If for some reason its not this year it will surely be next year. Most likely just a scheduling thing as I doubt they want to do it the night the Blues are in town (I don't think we played the Ducks on Neids night unless I am misremembering that). Also ya they most likely want Lou there at Marty night which makes scheduling even harder.

Lou is trickier because he is still working full time in the role we would celebrate him. I definitely think he will be acknowledged at that last home game against the Leafs, but I honestly think they wait until he retires (or steps back at least) before they do something BIG.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I can't imagine there wouldn't be a Marty night if you'll pardon the double negative. Even from a pure business perspective, it makes no sense to turn down the sellout crowd that would basically be guaranteed to be.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There better be a Marty night or I will be one unhappy camper, bleed.
I really don't think it would be a good PR move for the guys upstairs if they don't do it. If for some reason they can't do it, I think they should publicly announce why they were unable to do it. A lot of people already seem to be rallying against the new regime and while I'm not one of them, I definitely could see the gripe if they didn't retire Marty's number this year. Or at least if they didn't explain why.
I can't imagine there wouldn't be a Marty night if you'll pardon the double negative. Even from a pure business perspective, it makes no sense to turn down the sellout crowd that would basically be guaranteed to be.

Yeah and they'd probably do it against a team that probably wouldn't otherwise draw very well. Like some random western conference team like the Oilers. Although I'm pretty sure everyone will wanna see the Oilers anyway this year, since they have McDavid and hired a Jack Adams caliber coach and acquired a stud netminder. Too bad the Jets are opening night and will sell out anyway. We could have already sold out a Jets game at another date, since everyone wants to see that incredible team.

Back on topic, Nieds night was against the Stars I think. Nieds wasn't a full time coach for the Ducks yet though. I don't even know if he was a coach at all, or maybe just a special assignment coach. Last I heard, he still doesn't go on road trips and only attends home games and home practices. Back then his time was probably a little more free.

With Marty maybe having a more steady role than Nieds did at the time, they might have to be less picky about what night it's on and who the opponent is.

Stevens was against Carolina, which made perfect sense since he was really hated by them for the 01 playoffs. Dano's was against Boston I believe.

NHL Fanatik*

I think Boedker would be a nice fit here in NJ. He should be someone we target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad