Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
For better or worse it’s a small sample size. Hopefully the team gets healthy and improves. As disappointing as the Canes and last Caps games were the team was one shot in each game from adding a point. If a probably under the weather Bratt hits that empty net and NJ gets to OT and they win either that game or if Nico doesn’t go for the change do they beat the Caps is the narrative different? Like most pro sports it’s typically a close game and a bit of luck often separates the winner from loser.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised, borderline shocked that we're 5-2-1 at this point.

We've had a brutal schedule to start the year. Shortened preseason due to the start in Europe, then come home for a 6 games in 10 night stretch. And all 6 games were against teams that are likely playoff teams, or should at least contend for a spot (Washington x2, Toronto, Utah, Carolina, Ottawa).

And we've got another 3 in 4 / 4 in 6 stretch coming up (Tampa, Detroit, NYI, Anaheim). Luckily there are some weaker opponents there, but that'll be 10 games in 18 days since returning from Europe. With 12gp by the 27th, we'll be 15% done with the season before it's even 3 weeks old...

For comparison's sake, last year no team had played more than 9 games through the 29th. I guess that's what happens with a condensed schedule due to the four nations. Still, we're gonna average nearly 4 games per week through the first 12 games, but that number will be like 2.7 for the rest of the year.

If we can get out of this stretch at something like 7-3-2 I think that would be pretty impressive, especially considering we're missing an entire top pairing of defenders under a brand new system.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
No its really not. HE doesn't do anything well. AT ALL. He's even found a way to make his skating not as good as it was. Is that because of his shoulder? or his effort level?

He has to be that player or his contract and his political/marketing equity on this team is a liability. He will drag this entire's franchise's cup window down with him if he is not that player.
You really don't understand the implications and the domino effect it will have?

Why? I've never picked him game apart until after he returned from injury last year and looked like we were back in his rookie year. Except he was making even more mistakes and costing the team even more than that year because he is given so much ice time.
I just vehemently stated I hope to god I'm wrong and I will be nothing but absolutely thrilled if he picks it up again.

Also, there's no game to give away. This isn't a game. I watch, I observe and I tell it like it is.
Others are here saying the same thing, stop acting like we're all just making this up and thats not what's really happening on the ice.

Everybody knows Jack has to do better than he's doing, what separates you is that you think he has purely selfish motives for playing the way he does. And yeah, that's the trick of team sports, especially a sport like hockey - Jack has to be selfish, he is the team's top offensive player, he has to want the puck in critical situations, and think that he is going to make the best plays with it. That means when he's struggling, as he is now, it's hard to watch because he's making bad plays with the puck, he's not quite processing the game right - he's actually often making worse plays than a regular player would make.

I'm not concerned about him being this way long-term because he's too smart and too driven to stay like this - he will either figure out how to play as his current 85% self or become what he was before. The team is good enough to stay afloat while this happens. He's showing signs of coming out of it.

We Devils fans are not used to a player who has to play the game a different way by necessity - the only player the Devils have had like this in my memory was Ilya Kovalchuk, and he was only here a little over 3 years.

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
Am now sick for the longest I can remember in my lifetime; man it sucks lol

Excited for Devils hockey tomorrow and hoping they give me a good game to keep my mind off things

Also why is the start time 6:45? Is there a ceremony of some sort?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Am now sick for the longest I can remember in my lifetime; man it sucks lol
i've been sick for well over a month. someone suggested it might be 'long covid' (never heard of that before) because i haven't been able to smell or taste in forever. curious to know if you have something similar.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised, borderline shocked that we're 5-2-1 at this point.

We've had a brutal schedule to start the year. Shortened preseason due to the start in Europe, then come home for a 6 games in 10 night stretch. And all 6 games were against teams that are likely playoff teams, or should at least contend for a spot (Washington x2, Toronto, Utah, Carolina, Ottawa).

And we've got another 3 in 4 / 4 in 6 stretch coming up (Tampa, Detroit, NYI, Anaheim). Luckily there are some weaker opponents there, but that'll be 10 games in 18 days since returning from Europe. With 12gp by the 27th, we'll be 15% done with the season before it's even 3 weeks old...

For comparison's sake, last year no team had played more than 9 games through the 29th. I guess that's what happens with a condensed schedule due to the four nations. Still, we're gonna average nearly 4 games per week through the first 12 games, but that number will be like 2.7 for the rest of the year.

If we can get out of this stretch at something like 7-3-2 I think that would be pretty impressive, especially considering we're missing an entire top pairing of defenders under a brand new system.
And ultimately, their performance is not particularly fluky, Missing Luke and Pesce, the team has had good on-ice results. They're 11th in xGA per game and 9th in xG per game at 5v5, 6th overall in xG%. The powerplay is middle of the pack. The goaltending has been slightly above average, overall. The only thing that the team has been overperforming on, really, is the penalty kill, where 90% is pretty high, but not wildly so (61 teams in the past 20 years have had a mark above 85% for a full season).

The team is already good! And with the return of a very good defensive pairing, they're about to be a good bit better, too.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Also why is the start time 6:45? Is there a ceremony of some sort?

I think they're doing the one day where every team plays so they scatter the start times for every single game.

Tampa is playing in the only game tonight at 7:30, so here's hoping we can jump on them early tomorrow with a shorter than 24 hour turnaround time for them.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY
And ultimately, their performance is not particularly fluky, Missing Luke and Pesce, the team has had good on-ice results. They're 11th in xGA per game and 9th in xG per game at 5v5, 6th overall in xG%. The powerplay is middle of the pack. The goaltending has been slightly above average, overall. The only thing that the team has been overperforming on, really, is the penalty kill, where 90% is pretty high, but not wildly so (61 teams in the past 20 years have had a mark above 85% for a full season).

The team is already good! And with the return of a very good defensive pairing, they're about to be a good bit better, too.

I agree with what you are saying. I think the team has been good/fine.

Where did you see 6th overall in xGF%? Natstat is showing us at 15th.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
Everybody knows Jack has to do better than he's doing, what separates you is that you think he has purely selfish motives for playing the way he does. And yeah, that's the trick of team sports, especially a sport like hockey - Jack has to be selfish, he is the team's top offensive player, he has to want the puck in critical situations, and think that he is going to make the best plays with it. That means when he's struggling, as he is now, it's hard to watch because he's making bad plays with the puck, he's not quite processing the game right - he's actually often making worse plays than a regular player would make.

I'm not concerned about him being this way long-term because he's too smart and too driven to stay like this - he will either figure out how to play as his current 85% self or become what he was before. The team is good enough to stay afloat while this happens. He's showing signs of coming out of it.

We Devils fans are not used to a player who has to play the game a different way by necessity - the only player the Devils have had like this in my memory was Ilya Kovalchuk, and he was only here a little over 3 years.
What else am i supposed to think? He doesn’t HAVE to play this way. It just has to be balanced. Just make some simple passes tape to tape. Get the puck up the ice. Stop trying to dangle the other team to knife into the OZone. Its just about playing a team game first and then your skills can shine in the right moments.

I have serious doubts about the team holding steady while Jack figures out whatever needs to be figured out. I can only say for sure we are a tick better than last year and the coaching has seemed to improve. Now some slightly alarming trends are rearing their head.

But I’ll say it again, this season is all on the players. If they fail to make the playoffs and show they’re a legit good team. I’m looking straight to your boy Jack. You want to be a superstar? You want people to pay to see you play? Put the damn team on your back and be the star you claim to be.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

I see us 4th in all situations xG% on natural stat trick, so I imagine he's referring to all situations?

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
i've been sick for well over a month. someone suggested it might be 'long covid' (never heard of that before) because i haven't been able to smell or taste in forever. curious to know if you have something similar.
Ugh, I hope you don't have that, long COVID sucks, and even seems to be a near permanent thing for some people. That said, this time of year is brutal for just annoying head colds and sinus infections, and I know from experience that it's easy to end up with a cough, phlegm, or stuffiness for like a month at a stretch, so hopefully it's just that, instead.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think the "missing a top pairing D" might be getting overblown here. Pesce is legit but Luke is still very green and makes a ton of defensive mistakes. I don't think he is top pair on a good team. At least not yet.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY

TopDownHockey's numbers via JFresh. With enough different sources kicking around I think I should specify moving forward. Obviously the various models can be a little pick and choosey if you're interested in cherrypicking, but that's life and I just reeled off the first ones I had in front of me

Reactions: Mgd31

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I think the "missing a top pairing D" might be getting overblown here. Pesce is legit but Luke is still very green and makes a ton of defensive mistakes. I don't think he is top pair on a good team. At least not yet.
Most models have Luke contributing more last year than Pesce did. Obviously not the be all end all, but Luke's defensive issues are way overblown given how well he drives transition and possession (when not with Brendan Smith).

Is that a top pairing on a cup team? Probably not today. But would it be one of the best 2nd pairings in the league? Yeah.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Luke and Pesce should at least offer some improvement over Casey and Nemec who have struggled a bit with the tough schedule. Luke has his iffy moments defensively but is always a threat to go end to end. We will have to see what Pesce looks like when he plays. I’m a bit concerned with lingering pain and discomfort for him coming off a leg injury.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Is that a top pairing on a cup team? Probably not today. But would it be one of the best 2nd pairings in the league? Yeah.
It will be interesting for Luke to play in a more structured system. We don’t know yet if it will help him defensively…but honestly I don’t think there is anyone it doesn’t help.

We will see what freedoms he has to skate the puck up ice but I doubt Keefe is going to tell the sports car it has to stay in only first or second gear.

I’m comfortable saying Luke is already a solid second pairing defenders and I think by seasons end we will be comfortable saying he’s a strong second pairing borderline solid first pairing guy.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Missed Saturdays game and haven’t been on here all weekend. What I miss fam?

IMG_4003.jpeg

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
What else am i supposed to think? He doesn’t HAVE to play this way. It just has to be balanced. Just make some simple passes tape to tape. Get the puck up the ice. Stop trying to dangle the other team to knife into the OZone. Its just about playing a team game first and then your skills can shine in the right moments.

I have serious doubts about the team holding steady while Jack figures out whatever needs to be figured out. I can only say for sure we are a tick better than last year and the coaching has seemed to improve. Now some slightly alarming trends are rearing their head.

But I’ll say it again, this season is all on the players. If they fail to make the playoffs and show they’re a legit good team. I’m looking straight to your boy Jack. You want to be a superstar? You want people to pay to see you play? Put the damn team on your back and be the star you claim to be.

Again, you're having it both ways here. Jack isn't going to put the team on his back by making simple passes and playing a team game first. He can do those things, theoretically, but then he'll just be another player - he'll be slightly better, because he can skate better, but that's about it. Jack is a superstar because he can do those things but he can also make complicated plays, he can make D men look foolish 1 on 1, and all of the things that most other players can only dream about. When he's on his game, he is a masterful manipulator of space and time, drawing defenders to him to find the open man, or using a defender's momentary indecision against him.

Jack doesn't have to put the team on his back for this team to make the playoffs.

Reactions: My3Sons

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
I dont believe I had covid, no; was just prescribed antibiotics for a sinus and bacterial infection that stemmed from a heavy cold. Technically I could have though as I chose not to test for it since I am home not bothering anyone (looking back a dumb decision)

And all of this was compounded by my immune system being off from quitting weed (temporarily, for health diagnostics) and nicotine (permanently)

Believe all of these have added to my now two weeks of misery lol. Hopefully for you it gets better and you dont have lasting effects

Reactions: MartyOwns

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad