Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
If you're not using Seamus Casey in 3v3 OT you may as well not have him at all. Very glad to see at least a temporary end to the hated R-R pairings.

Keefe did mention that he was going to be used for OT, but that they didn't get the chance to put him out there for what it's worth.

The lack of updates on Pesce is weird. Feels like he's had some sort of complication / set back in his recovery.

He skated at the last practice. I'm sure he's going to be available soon.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Keefe did mention that he was going to be used for OT, but that they didn't get the chance to put him out there for what it's worth.

It's not worth a lot because Wilson scored with a minute left in OT. Obviously it's nice that they're saying they were going to use him, but they didn't.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It's not worth a lot because Wilson scored with a minute left in OT. Obviously it's nice that they're saying they were going to use him, but they didn't.

I didn't watch the full OT, so I have no idea besides the goal against as to who was deployed, but could he have meant that they didn't have the puck enough to allow them to get him on?

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I didn't watch the full OT, so I have no idea besides the goal against as to who was deployed, but could he have meant that they didn't have the puck enough to allow them to get him on?
They did put Siegenthaler out with Jack and Bratt(I think) on the second shift…which felt overly defensive and that none of the more offensive guys were trusted on that night.

I’m not going to kill putting Siegs out in OT since he can skate fine enough but it was weird to put him out with the unit you’re hoping will finish the game right then.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
They did put Siegenthaler out with Jack and Bratt(I think) on the second shift…which felt overly defensive and that none of the more offensive guys were trusted on that night.

I’m not going to kill putting Siegs out in OT since he can skate fine enough but it was weird to put him out with the unit you’re hoping will finish the game right then.

Yeah, that is a bit of a weirder choice for 3-on-3. I assume Dougie was on for the first shift?

Oh this won't go well :laugh:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

No Misyul today for Utica and no word or anything out there suggesting he’s injured.

Jumping the gun here but wonder if it’s possible he’s been called up to get a quick shot after Casey only got 7:34 in ice time yesterday and Keefe seems to think he’s struggling? Also gives us 3LD until Pesce’s back.

Good call.

Was good for Casey to get some NHL experience and see what else he needs to work on in the AHL now, but he played 10:03 and 7:35 the past two games and has only averaged 11:58 TOI this season - not really sustainable to keep around a defenseman that's playing that little.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Casey was good in D zone. He was not in D zone and was the worst in D situations, opponents used his side to attack the ice. He looks interesting potential as future NHL defenseman. he needs more polishing and ice time. Its for good. He owned his feedback on NHL level and will study something against pros with more ice time and bigger role. Utica still istn very good team ...forwardly, so he will have enough job to serve.

SansaStark

Apr 11, 2013
Again, you're having it both ways here. Jack isn't going to put the team on his back by making simple passes and playing a team game first. He can do those things, theoretically, but then he'll just be another player - he'll be slightly better, because he can skate better, but that's about it. Jack is a superstar because he can do those things but he can also make complicated plays, he can make D men look foolish 1 on 1, and all of the things that most other players can only dream about. When he's on his game, he is a masterful manipulator of space and time, drawing defenders to him to find the open man, or using a defender's momentary indecision against him.

Jack doesn't have to put the team on his back for this team to make the playoffs.
Yes he can. Mackinnon does, McDavid does, Pastranak does.

Can Jack do those things? Sure. But does he? No, not really.

Jack isn’t a superstar. He’s not even close right now. He’s not even a good player. He’s a below average player right now.

He hasn’t made a Dman look foolish in a long time.

Making the playoffs and get ousted in the first round isn’t anything to me. This team is built to be a perennial contender. Which they cannot achieve without Jack at his highest level.

Jack can put the team on his back by playing the game with balance and blend. Simple passes and conservative puck management the majority of the time, then picking your spots when the moment calls for it (the good ones know when that is and when that isn’t) and executing a high level play or occasionally knifing through defenders.

He can’t do any of the above right now. There is no defending this player, you have to twist and stretch and constantly look to the past to make any legitimate defense of his play since he returned from injury last year. It’s the injury, it’s “look at 22-23”, “look at the beginning of 23-24”,
tired of it.

Reactions: Patrik26

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Yeah, that is a bit of a weirder choice for 3-on-3. I assume Dougie was on for the first shift?

Oh this won't go well :laugh:
Oh thank god, I was really worried they wouldn't try Palat with Hughes and Bratt again just because they looked absolutely terrible together last game.

Jokes aside, I'm all for keep the solid 3rd line and figuring out what works for the top 6. Something else has to work....just has to.

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
Oh thank god, I was really worried they wouldn't try Palat with Hughes and Bratt again just because they looked absolutely terrible together last game.

Jokes aside, I'm all for keep the solid 3rd line and figuring out what works for the top 6. Something else has to work....just has to.
In the interest of having even a slight chance of Palat finding some old form, its probably best he get some top-6 time. Especially while our bottom-6 and defense are playing well offensively

If it doesnt work we know we can just bury him on the fourth line

Reactions: MasterofGrond

Deviled

Oct 10, 2024
They have to try and get Palat going somehow and the Meier Mercer and Hischier line has been too good last couple games to break up.

I am good with these changes.
Jinx, I said it first

Jinx_0.jpg

Reactions: Mgd31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad