Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
For better or worse it’s a small sample size. Hopefully the team gets healthy and improves. As disappointing as the Canes and last Caps games were the team was one shot in each game from adding a point. If a probably under the weather Bratt hits that empty net and NJ gets to OT and they win either that game or if Nico doesn’t go for the change do they beat the Caps is the narrative different? Like most pro sports it’s typically a close game and a bit of luck often separates the winner from loser.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised, borderline shocked that we're 5-2-1 at this point.

We've had a brutal schedule to start the year. Shortened preseason due to the start in Europe, then come home for a 6 games in 10 night stretch. And all 6 games were against teams that are likely playoff teams, or should at least contend for a spot (Washington x2, Toronto, Utah, Carolina, Ottawa).

And we've got another 3 in 4 / 4 in 6 stretch coming up (Tampa, Detroit, NYI, Anaheim). Luckily there are some weaker opponents there, but that'll be 10 games in 18 days since returning from Europe. With 12gp by the 27th, we'll be 15% done with the season before it's even 3 weeks old...

For comparison's sake, last year no team had played more than 9 games through the 29th. I guess that's what happens with a condensed schedule due to the four nations. Still, we're gonna average nearly 4 games per week through the first 12 games, but that number will be like 2.7 for the rest of the year.

If we can get out of this stretch at something like 7-3-2 I think that would be pretty impressive, especially considering we're missing an entire top pairing of defenders under a brand new system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad