Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - season begins!

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
A well coached Devils team?

witchcraft-hunchback-of-notre-dame.gif

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
You're right - the thing to draw conclusions from was watching him last season struggle with very basic things on the power play. That was 8 months ago, so no one but me remembers that. Now we just have the numbers.

The power play was not good without him, it was certainly worse having him on there. Remember, I went through every Devils power play since 2007-08, and it's not like the Devils have had great 2nd PP units in the last decade+. It's just impossible for him to be improving the Devils' PP relative to just a basic defenseman.

It's a small HORRIBLE sample. It's like a goaltender having a .750 save percentage in 4 games. Yeah, it's 4 games, but it's a .750 save percentage - the goaltender is probably getting unlucky, but he also must be failing to make some basic stops. Mike Matheson had a 2.57 xGA/60 in 2018-19 - that's the most recent time anyone had something like that, most years no one is going above 2. The Devils bled chances with Nemec on the ice, and the reason why xGA is Nemec's fault more than anyone else's on the unit is that he is the player most responsible for the breakout and keeping the blueline on the PP.

If Nemec plays like he did today in future games, I'll feel better about him on the PP.
Looks like 20yo defenseman can learn how to survive in some role. Im not telling to pit him above Hamilton or Luke but he definitely has actual skill to protect blue line. Without practicing he will not sustain it and will not balance it. Because in this game he looks like he can learn something.
And even third pair PK role is still a role for Nemec too when Pesce will return.

It works well for Casey too. Until he can play in the limited role, I don't see any reason to not give him more opportunity to learn how to play against breakaways, patrol behind the net, learn how to control D zone against cycling and work on other aspects of actual defending where he isn't perfect now. Because for limited role he is good enough. Yeah we will se some games against Panthers or Leafs or even Caps where he wil be loaded by physical players, forecheck, fast moving of the puck or will work against players who can shoot in different situations- but again, smaller role, less amount of teams who can really make the life really miserable for third pairs.
Until Casey can - he should learn how to play NHL games. Until Nemec can, he can learn how to play a role in pp. Btw even with Luke returning, I don't see 8 better forwards to play in PP. I would even think about 7 better forwards to play above Dougie, Luke, Nemec and Casey, but its hard to imagine all four in the roster inthe same time when everybody are healthy.

Last edited:

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Can someone explain why the NHL doesn’t use the AHL conditioning stints more?

Multiple teams have gotten in trouble over the handling of players with medical issues.

Having Jack and Timo play through injury last was terrible for all parties.

With Casey playing well, they can ease Luke back, but it’s the NHL, so he will get PP1 and 20+ minuets a game (while he plays like butt from injury).

Casey reminds me of the best version of Rafalski. His shot is deceptive and accurate.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Realistically, someone will get injured or their play will dip and the decision will likely be much easier…BUT, having this depth on D right now makes me feel things that positional depth elsewhere does not do.

High octane offense is cool and all, but sound positioning and a team buying in on a system wins championships.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Multiple teams have gotten in trouble over the handling of players with medical issues.

With Casey playing well, they can ease Luke back, but it’s the NHL, so he will get PP1 and 20+ minuets a game (while he plays like butt from injury).

Casey reminds me of the best version of Rafalski. His shot is deceptive and accurate.

Players do not want to go to the AHL - a player needs to consent - and it takes up a roster spot to use a conditioning stint unless the player has been injured for a long time, so you don't get an extra body by doing it.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003

Casey's play gives the team the option of not rushing Luke back. I could see them sending Luke to Utica for conditioning.

Reactions: HBK27 and glenwo2

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
lol you can’t be serious

What are you talking about? Bratt is playing on the halfwall

Okay...I went back and watched every PP the Devils took and Bratt was in front of the Goaltender on just this PowerPlay and for some reason that stuck in my mind :

Screenshot 2024-10-15 at 09-43-07 NHL66 NHL Streams.png

I'm guessing Keefe was trying new things and concluded, as I did, that Bratt would be wasted there so he had him go back to the Halfwall.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Looks like 20yo defenseman can learn how to survive in some role. Im not telling to pit him above Hamilton or Luke but he definitely has actual skill to protect blue line. Without practicing he will not sustain it and will not balance it. Because in this game he looks like he can learn something.
And even third pair PK role is still a role for Nemec too when Pesce will return.

It works well for Casey too. Until he can play in the limited role, I don't see any reason to not give him more opportunity to learn how to play against breakaways, patrol behind the net, learn how to control D zone against cycling and work on other aspects of actual defending where he isn't perfect now. Because for limited role he is good enough. Yeah we will se some games against Panthers or Leafs or even Caps where he wil be loaded by physical players, forecheck, fast moving of the puck or will work against players who can shoot in different situations- but again, smaller role, less amount of teams who can really make the life really miserable for third pairs.
Until Casey can - he should learn how to play NHL games. Until Nemec can, he can learn how to play a role in pp. Btw even with Luke returning, I don't see 8 better forwards to play in PP. I would even think about 7 better forwards to play above Dougie, Luke, Nemec and Casey, but its hard to imagine all four in the roster inthe same time when everybody are healthy.
Wow, did you ever think we'd be discussing the problem of having too many quality and highly talented NHL defensemen to fit on the roster?

Makes me smile, I've got to admit.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
I've seen a lot of posts critical of Hamilton and discussing how it's time to move on (this offseason). Is the Dillon/Hamilton pair not working, the PP looking anemic, or is it the eye test (cause he does look slow)?

5v5 Metrics look very good:
I think it’s just people wanting to get out from the contract coupled with the crazy depth we now have on D.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I think it’s just people wanting to get out from the contract coupled with the crazy depth we now have on D.
Yea, I'm not on the trade Dougie train because you know half the D corp will get injured a week after that happening, we have a good problem right now.

But I think where it's coming from is people wanting to see all of Casey/Luke/Nemac play and the new "depth" guys are playing well enough to not be considered depth at all, but full time. Just a massive contract on a cap without much space playing a position where there is less than very little space when everyone is healthy.

I don't think anyone is reallllly ragging on his play and using that as a case for trading him.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
When Pesce comes back, I think it's a pretty easy choice to swap Nemec out, as Casey is already playing on the left side and is better on PP2, while Pesce naturally fills in Nemec's role on the PK.

I posted this in his prospect thread, but when Luke comes back, assuming we're still healthy, I'd run 7 D and cycle Casey in at F and D and let him run PP2 with Hamilton.

It's also a nice option to have to be able to insert Casey in at either side on the backend if we are trailing late and need to create offense. Like, if we're down 2 goals heading into the third, it would be a great option to have to be able to shorten up the bench up and roll with:

Casey - Hamilton (40%)
Hughes - Pesce (40%)
Siegs - Kovacevic (20%)
Dillon (PK only)

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
When Pesce comes back, I think it's a pretty easy choice to swap Nemec out, as Casey is already playing on the left side and is better on PP2, while Pesce naturally fills in Nemec's role on the PK.

I posted this in his prospect thread, but when Luke comes back, assuming we're still healthy, I'd run 7 D and cycle Casey in at F and D and let him run PP2 with Hamilton.

It's also a nice option to have to be able to insert Casey in at either side on the backend if we are trailing late and need to create offense. Like, if we're down 2 goals heading into the third, it would be a great option to have to be able to shorten up the bench up and roll with:

Casey - Hamilton (40%)
Hughes - Pesce (40%)
Siegs - Kovacevic (20%)
Dillon (PK only)
As good as Casey looks, when Luke comes back, he’s not going to have the same opportunities he has right now with both Luke and Dougie.

For both him and the Devils long term, send him down and let him play first pairing all situations in the AHL. Call him up if you need a jolt or injuries strike Luke/Dougie.

You can reevaluate whether the team is best running 11x7 or Casey/Luke playing a rover role come the end of the year and playoffs. It’s not worth doing that for 80% of the regular season.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Wow, did you ever think we'd be discussing the problem of having too many quality and highly talented NHL defensemen to fit on the roster?

Makes me smile, I've got to admit.
If I remember Fitz made some moves on different planes that could create some situation with oversupply of high quality defensemen. So yeah, I had couple of thoughts about it before.
What makes me smile is that we have now some kind of Nemec haters and Nemec disbelievers in our fan base. When he was absolutely great for his age and his role.

Situation where we should think about sending 2OA and 2nd rounder with 1 level rounder talent to the Utica squad... is quite interesting.
Would be great to have this kind of logjam of talent for top-6 roles.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
As great as Casey has looked at times, I don’t see a way he doesn’t hit a wall and could benefit from some time down. He for sure looks dynamic offensively, but he’s also shooting at 75%. Him and Nemec have also gotten pinned in their own zone more than a handful of times.

Casey has looked better than Nemec, but Nemec deserves a little more benefit of the doubt. There is a good chance he started training camp less than 100%, and still might not be. That said, with the depth this team has, two guys need to come out when Luke and Pesce get back. Nemec and Casey are the obvious choices.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

Casey - Hamilton (40%)
Hughes - Pesce (40%)
Siegs - Kovacevic (20%)
Dillon (PK only)
Personally, I put Pesce on the left and rotate Casey and Nemec on the bottom pair.

When everyone is back, I think it may be worth sending both Casey and Nemec down. Hatakka or DeSimone can sit in the press box. Rolling 7 D is terrible. I don't know any D that likes a situation with uneven numbers.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
If the Utah Hockey Team Players Group whatever-the-f*** offered you a 2nd round pick for Jonas Siegenthaler and a 4th, do you take it?

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
If the Utah Hockey Team Players Group whatever-the-f*** offered you a 2nd round pick for Jonas Siegenthaler and a 4th, do you take it?

No. It’s early but Siegs looks like he’s bouncing back. He’s put up legit shutdown numbers and we need a reliable guy like that if we want to make the playoffs and potentially do some damage.

If you trade Siegs you have Dillon, Hughes, Casey or a call up on the left. Really hurts our LHD depth and I trust Siegs more than any of those guys to consistently defend well in big minutes against opposing top lines.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
No, what we have right now are an abundance of D man who seem to be extremely gifted offensively. Siegs is a rock you are always going to want to have, if he sits for some reason, fine, but I'd rather have him in the press box waiting to go than a couple pics come playoff time.

Reactions: DerekDevils30

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad