Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
This article reads good for the Devils goaltending and defense. I am looking forward to an exciting upcoming season for our NJ Devils.

Go Devils
Those 2 goaltenders who led the league in high danger shot percentages are both ex-Utica Comets. Vancouver did provide the Comets with outstanding developing goalies. I have a set of gloves from each of them.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

Screen Shot 2024-07-31 at 12.04.06 AM.png

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Dillon and Pesce have some experience from solid 60%+ lines playing with stats above their teammates, so I'm hopeful in fixing the d-lines. At least they have played winning hockey at some point.

Just looking at the goal% stats from last season, Siegenthaler needs more of a defensive partner or role change, since last year his moneypuck linestats show nothing but below 50% hockey.

View attachment 897750
Siegenthaler-Hamilton were very good together again they were just playing together during peak Shitek season (check their xGoals metrics)

Reactions: Aurinko

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
NHL.com got one wrong this AM. They predict the Devils will have the greatest increase in points from last year to this year exceeding 100 points and making the playoffs. They credit some of that to the secondary scoring form Tomas Tatar, Paul Cotter, and JACK ROSLOVIC.

Really? Roslovic signed a $2.8 Mil contract with Carolina on the 4th of July. LOL

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
NHL.com got one wrong this AM. They predict the Devils will have the greatest increase in points from last year to this year exceeding 100 points and making the playoffs. They credit some of that to the secondary scoring form Tomas Tatar, Paul Cotter, and JACK ROSLOVIC.

Really? Roslovic signed a $2.8 Mil contract with Carolina on the 4th of July. LOL
Roslovic is going to be pretty upset he’s been secretly traded so soon after signing his contract. Maybe that’s why it’s being kept a secret.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

2.8 from Roslovic is a good deal. He brings puck control and hussle. Would have been ok for Devils and should be a good fit for Canes as well. Their goalies don't look good on paper.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

Bad Goalie, the good news about the NHL reporting as you reported is that they are predicting the Devils making the playoffs with the greatest increase in points. I like the that part of the message, if they predicted that all the points were coming from Roskovic then I would be concerned.

Go Devils into the playoffs

BTW I have been saying with the changes that Fitz has brought to the Devils during this off season I expect the Devils to get into the PLAYOFFS and deep into the playoffs, my opinion.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Bad Goalie, the good news about the NHL reporting as you reported is that they are predicting the Devils making the playoffs with the greatest increase in points. I like the that part of the message, if they predicted that all the points were coming from Roskovic then I would be concerned.

Go Devils into the playoffs

BTW I have been saying with the changes that Fitz has brought to the Devils during this off season I expect the Devils to get into the PLAYOFFS and deep into the playoffs, my opinion.
I was only pointing out and joking about the gaffe made by the pros. I have a feeling the article meant to put Noesen and not Roslovic as the 3rd secondary scorer for the Devils. Noesen is the guy who left Carolina and Roslovic was the guy moving in. The author mixed them up. LOL

Mr Bojanglez

Aug 17, 2007
From Jersey w/ Love

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I know i'm late on this - and @Lou is God was correct. I heard this live - they were basing it on the whole season... not just free agency.

Hence why it was hard to argue too much against the Rangers as President's trophy winner. And us having failed overall expectations.

thats a horrible grade then if its based on last year it should be way worse. they shouldn't be lumping this summer/draft into that grade being that its for THIS year no?

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
shutouts will be harder and longer to break but i absolutely believe someone sooner then later will break the wins record

I really don't think so, at least not anytime soon. Goalies don't play more than like 60 games tops anymore. Marty played 70+ games like 12 times or something lol

not happening for the reasons ZBC mentioned...add in the butterfly style that all these clones now play and it's an even harder hill to climb.

not even OT and shootout (vomit) wins can make up the numbers to pass him.

there are only 3 goalies to break 500 wins. marty, roy and fleury. marty was 9 shy of 700.

it's untouchable

edit:

adding this article from 2015! ...nine years later and fleury just broke 1000 GP (1025) this last season

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The leader in wins last year was Georgiev with 38. It would take 18 seasons of 38 wins to get to 684, still short of Marty. If you up that to 40 wins it would take 17 seasons just to get to 680. There were only 9 goalies in the league that had 30 or more wins last season.

So unless a goalie plays for like 25 years or is on a team that wins 50+ games every year for well over a decade, they're not getting close to the wins record. It doesn't mean it'll never happen, but it's going to take a pretty massive shift in the way goaltending is trending for it to be a real possibility.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
no one thought waynes record would fall either esp after the lax period of goal scoring of the 80s ended.

i think fluery being as high as he is just proves that someone will make a run for martys record. now its not going to be easy its going to take perfect timing. like a really good goalie starting out the same time his teams window is legit opening. i really dont think we see anymore lost time for labor disputes and with no more ties i think it eventually happens sooner then later even with goalies playing less games. they will probably evolve into playing longer into their careers and goalies going to the open market if they are good enough can latch onto another team whos window is opening kinda like fluery did with the knights

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
no one thought waynes record would fall either esp after the lax period of goal scoring of the 80s ended.

i think fluery being as high as he is just proves that someone will make a run for martys record. now its not going to be easy its going to take perfect timing. like a really good goalie starting out the same time his teams window is legit opening. i really dont think we see anymore lost time for labor disputes and with no more ties i think it eventually happens sooner then later even with goalies playing less games. they will probably evolve into playing longer into their careers and goalies going to the open market if they are good enough can latch onto another team whos window is opening kinda like fluery did with the knights
Spencer Knight could have had a half decent shot if he had taken over for Bob like intended. add another 45 ish wins from 22-23/23-24 and he'd be at 95 heading into his age 23 season, which at this point is when most goalies are getting started.

Still would have been an incredible longshot but he would have had the age to get that runway.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

Fluery has basically followed the blueprint you’re suggesting and still 130 wins at his 39-40 year old season.

Fluery averaged 28 wins a season, so he would need about 4.5 more seasons to get to the record; and that’s assuming his pace isn’t way lower than average, which it is.

So in Fluery we have a goalie that came close to a perfect theoretical run and he’s going to fall seasons short of getting there. Seems very tough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad