Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I’m confused, we’re still on Mercer? I thought this week we were supposed to rehash the circular Kovalchuk debate?

We must be running further behind on our offseason topics than I thought.

Reactions: My3Sons

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Luke's deal is probably already worked out in principle and waiting to be announced sometime early in 2025.

To get to that Mercer has to be signed on the cheap. Tatar is a placeholder of 1.8, Haula walks at 3.2, 3 million in savings from not signing Mercer to a long term contract and there's 8 million of Luke's ~9 million 2026 contract and Bastian is probably the rest.

Down year my ass, this shit was planned.
img_1025.jpg

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
here's the national games count, tho I guess that's not the actual schedule NOR does it say anything about NHLnetwork
Yep - Sucks that NHL Network has exclusive games and the only place to get it, and everything else streaming, is DirectTV Stream combined with ESPN+.

DTV Stream is crazy expensive (and fighting with Disney/ESPN/ABC now).

Would love to just go back to YouTube TV but I assume the Devils will play 78 games on NHL Network and everyone out of market, like me, will be screwed.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If Mercer told NJ he’d sign long term for 5.5 per I imagine the team would create the space. I’m guessing his agent is asking for at least 6 mil per on a long term deal if not more and NJ probably wants him at 5.
I don't disagree with the numbers ...just the timing. I don't believe for a second Fitz and the organization ever had any intention on signing Dawson long term...the timing of the numbers don't work and can't work with an up coming Luke contract. Do the math and pencil Dawson in at 6....you can't get Luke a decent contract with Dawson at 6 or 6+ for next year it's impossible...then Nemec is next... it's critical that Dawson is short changed for two years ...so start talking about down years and betting on himself.

They don't even have 5 to offer him this year. They're not going into the season without some cushion and they only have 4.9 in space...so if the intention is a 1$ million dollar cushion how the hell were they ever going get Dawson a long term contract with 3.9? They never had any intention of a long term deal, that's how.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I don't disagree with the numbers ...just the timing. I don't believe for a second Fitz and the organization ever had any intention on signing Dawson long term...the timing of the numbers don't work and can't work with an up coming Luke contract. Do the math and pencil Dawson in at 6....you can't get Luke a decent contract with Dawson at 6 or 6+ for next year it's impossible...then Nemec is next... it's critical that Dawson is short changed for two years ...so start talking about down years and betting on himself.

They don't even have 5 to offer him this year. They're not going into the season without some cushion and they only have 4.9 in space...so if the intention is a 1$ million dollar cushion how the hell were they ever going get Dawson a long term contract with 3.9? They never had any intention of a long term deal, that's how.
Maybe. But my guess is at the end of last season they chatted multiple times previously and knew that the gulf was too wide. I’m skeptical they signed Pesce Dillon MacDermid and Tatar without already speaking with Mercer’s agent on more than one occasion but we likely will never know.

Reactions: MasterofGrond

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Maybe. But my guess is at the end of last season they chatted multiple times previously and knew that the gulf was too wide. I’m skeptical they signed Pesce Dillon MacDermid and Tatar without already speaking with Mercer’s agent on more than one occasion but we likely will never know.

I sure they spoke... but Amanda Stein reported that "Tom Fitzgerald said he will start soon on the negotiations with Dawson Mercer on his new contract."

That was July 3rd. They signed Tatar on July 2nd. After Tatar was signed there was/is 4.9M in space. So at least according to Amanda the negotiations hadn't begun until after UFA

There is no freaking way anyone could reasonably believe 4.9 was enough to sign Dawson to long term contract.....add any cushion and the notion that a long term deal was a viable option is pure absurdity.

And there is no doubt in my mind this was done intentionally to insure Luke's next contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I sure they spoke... but Amanda Stein reported that "Tom Fitzgerald said he will start soon on the negotiations with Dawson Mercer on his new contract."

That was July 3rd. They signed Tatar on July 2nd. After Tatar was signed there was/is 4.9M in space. So at least according to Amanda the negotiations hadn't begun until after UFA

There is no freaking anyone could reasonably believe 4.9 was enough to sign Dawson to long term contract.....add any cushion and the notion that a long term deal was a viable option is pure absurdity.

And there no doubt in my mind this was done intentionally to insure Luke's next contract.

I'm sorry but this is absolutely insane and baseless. Not even sure why conspiracy theory stuff like this is allowed here tbh lol

again, Mercer should have played better if he wanted a bigger contract. He has sucked for going on 100 games now.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If I were Dawson's agent right now, I'm asking 1 year 3M.

That'll force Fitz to show his cards

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

There is no freaking way anyone could reasonably believe 4.9 was enough to sign Dawson to long term contract.....add any cushion and the notion that a long term deal was a viable option is pure absurdity.

And there is no doubt in my mind this was done intentionally to insure Luke's next contract.
I’m just skeptical they wouldn’t have signed Mercer if he wanted a long term deal at a price they knew was a deal. Maybe you are right but I doubt they said they wouldn’t pay Mercer just to save money for Luke. I’d have skipped Dillon and Tatar if that was an issue. If they wanted a short term deal my guess is they don’t see Mercer as a core player yet but it’s all just guessing. Hopefully Dawson has a great season and leaves no doubt about his position with the team. I think most fans want him around long term.

Reactions: Guadana

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I think it’s fair to say Mercer might not be in the long term plans. Just the nature of the way this team is built and where the money should go.

Sign him to a 2-3 year bridge deal around 3-4 million per. Take advantage of him likely far outperforming his cap hit during this window. Reevaluate where he fits on this team cap-wise as he approaches RFA.

For all you know, Devils may be in a position to give Mercer his big deal by then. If not, you trade him and recuperate assets like so many other teams have done with their mid-20s RFA/UFA forwards.

Reactions: Nubmer6

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think it’s fair to say Mercer might not be in the long term plans. Just the nature of the way this team is built and where the money should go.

Sign him to a 2-3 year bridge deal around 3-4 million per. Take advantage of him likely far outperforming his cap hit during this window. Reevaluate where he fits on this team cap-wise as he approaches RFA.

For all you know, Devils may be in a position to give Mercer his big deal by then. If not, you trade him and recuperate assets like so many other teams have done with their mid-20s RFA/UFA forwards.
I'm sure the first two paragraphs are exactly what the organization is thinking. That's why we are where we are.

But the facade that Mercer needs to bounce back or bet on himself is nonsense...we are where we are at to make sure there is ample room to sign Luke...3 years gets Nemec covered too before Dawson gets paid. The Dawson camp should not accommodate this to be potentially cast aside at a later date.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Palat will be gone by the time its time to pay Nemec. I don't know why we're even worrying about these things tbh. The team will look a lot different by then anyways.

Plus the cap is going to continue to rise.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think there's a pretty good chance this is Palat's last year here.

There's an extremely high chance that it will be next year if it isn't this year.

I don't see him still here for year 5, unless it's as an LTIR'd player. He'll either be a cap dump to someone or bought out.

And with that.....I think I just started the Palat debate back up again lol.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think there's a pretty good chance this is Palat's last year here.

There's an extremely high chance that it will be next year if it isn't this year.

I don't see him still here for year 5, unless it's as an LTIR'd player. He'll either be a cap dump to someone or bought out.

And with that.....I think I just started the Palat debate back up again lol.
He has a No Movement...do you have any idea what his buyout number would be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad