Datsyuk - Bergeron - Hossa vs Kariya - Kopitar - Guy Lafleur

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who wins in a best of 7 ? (Bottom 3 forward lines and rest of the roster is the current Flames)

• Pavel Datsyuk - Patrice Bergeron - Marian Hossa

• Paul Kariya - Anže Kopitar- Guy Lafleur

Results are only viewable after voting.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Is this generally the way it works out in matchups against two-way beasts with a ton of offensive ability though? Players like Dastyuk and Bergeron generally outplay the opposition even if they have better offensive ability.

Bergeron outplayed Kopitar in just about every matchup they've had on the ice too and I would say Kopitar is a little better at producing points.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
This thread is starting to show just how underrated Lafleur is on these boards. No one in this poll is even close to him. He is the X factor in a list of players who all rank in and around the same level, as a top 20 player of all time, while no one else has a firm case for top 100. His prime is amongst the best ever and he was clutch AF. As Scotty Bowman said "When he was on his game, there was no one better.".

This whole "no one on line 2 would touch the puck" nonsense is just laughable parody. Line 1 would touch the puck plenty of times but a lot of it would be fishing the puck out of their own net.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Is this generally the way it works out in matchups against two-way beasts with a ton of offensive ability though? Players like Dastyuk and Bergeron generally outplay the opposition even if they have better offensive ability.

You know a hockey game - and a series, and an overall playoff run - is played by more than just 3 players vs 3 right?

It's true the first line are generally good in head to heads at limiting chances, but the second line's offense is a gigantic amount stronger. It'll still score a ton against line 1, but it'll also score a ton in other easier matchups throughout the game & series.

Put it this way - can Bergeron shut down McDavid 1 on 1? I don't think so - but even if you think the answer is yes, you still take McDavid first because he'll still find lots of shifts against players other than Bergeron, where he'll dominate.

Also - for playoff success, Lafleur is again by far the absolute best playoff performer here. And I probably have Kopitar #2.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
line 1 is redundant with itself. Bergeron was great later in his career because he played with a great goal scorer and another high end offensive talent.

Line 2 is much more balanced and overall far more talented. Defense is great and all but Lafleur mops the floor with line 1 offensively.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
That's your opinion but it doesn't matter because Lafleur is way above anyone else anyway
If you could draft either of these guys to your team, or have one of them at their primes on your team for a Cup run you’d honestly rather have Kariya?

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
If you could draft either of these guys to your team, or have one of them at their primes on your team for a Cup run you’d honestly rather have Kariya?

Datsyuk might have more value in a vacuum as a center who was good both ways, but if you’re drafting the best player I think that is Kariya.

Unfortunately we never got to see how good he would really have been thanks to Suter/Stevens etc. but the guy was the real deal for a while even as it played out.

Reactions: HabsQC

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I’d take Kariya. He was one of the best players in the league and if not for getting those concussions would’ve had an even better career. Super fast, great shot. He was awesome.

Datsyuk had the better career and was a more well rounded player but Kariya was so dynamic and fast.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I’d take Kariya. He was one of the best players in the league and if not for getting those concussions would’ve had an even better career. Super fast, great shot. He was awesome.

Datsyuk had the better career and was a more well rounded player but Kariya was so dynamic and fast.
Datsyuk was in discussions as being more or as valuable as prime Crosby in 07 and 08. Nearly 100pt player winning Selke’s. To each their own and admittedly I didn’t watch a ton of Kariya but Datsyuk’s impact was as clear as day.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
There’s 5 stars and one superstar.

I’ll take the team with Lafleur.

Datsyuk was in discussions as being more or as valuable as prime Crosby in 07 and 08. Nearly 100pt player winning Selke’s. To each their own and admittedly I didn’t watch a ton of Kariya but Datsyuk’s impact was as clear as day.
There was also discussions that Datayuk was the third best player on his team.

I loved Datsyuk, like 99% of hockey fans, but his peak was top 5 player in the world. He was never the best.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It’s not tearing down Datsyuk to praise Kariya. They are very different players. I think Datsyuk was awesome.

But Kariya was blazing fast, smart and had a terrific shot. He was so fun to watch.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Kariya had injury issues. So who to draft with that is a bit harder to assess.

But at equal health - yes I would prefer Kariya. Maybe not by a huge gap, but I'd pick Kariya. I guess the one slight blemish on his resume is he doesn't have a lot of playoff experience. I do think he'd do well there, but he didn't get to play a ton of playoffs.

But - it's not like Datsyuk was great in the playoffs either.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
That wasn’t the question dawg

It depends of the team

On the Habs, I'd pick Datsyuk because our center depth is suspect, but on a team like Edmonton, I'd go Kariya I think

Kariya, in his prime, was incredible

But as for the poll, Lafleur is so far ahead everyone else that it doesn't matter in the end

Reactions: um

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm glad and a little surprised to see the relevance for Kariya

what i came to say its going to look like a hot take now, I was going to say i feel like Kariya stylistically is a poor fit for this matchup which is an issue for team 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad