Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Dillon and Pesce have some experience from solid 60%+ lines playing with stats above their teammates, so I'm hopeful in fixing the d-lines. At least they have played winning hockey at some point.

Just looking at the goal% stats from last season, Siegenthaler needs more of a defensive partner or role change, since last year his moneypuck linestats show nothing but below 50% hockey.

1722273791134.png

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Oh okay, he only played 5 games, I though you had to play 9 for the first year to take affect.
If both team and player decide not to slide the ELC year then the slide doesn’t happen despite lacking 10 games. So you can play no games and still have the contract not slide. This is true for junior and foreign players as well, I think it’s unusual for a team not to want a junior or foreign player to slide because the team has such control. College players have some leverage here as teams want to get them under control ASAP once they’re good.

Also, I couldn’t find the verbiage right now, but US College players are unique. I found some language when researching some another college player that once they sign their contract then the year they accept their signing bonus starts their ELC.

I’m guessing it has something to do with Juniors and Foreign players being able to return to where they were drafted and College players can not; so the college player is a pro forever once they sign the contract. This guess does conflict with the fact a player can have their first year of an ELC not slide but still can slide their second year if they end up in the minors, so who knows what the reasoning is.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
nice. i should do the same....although it would take quite a while to get through 17' feet of vinyl
I have only got 10 feet left. I turned a lot of my stuff:
- LPs with only 1 or 2 good cuts
- borrowed LPs from friends
- old mint 8-tracks
- CDs
- A zillion Napster downloads, that took forever to sort out the good ones from the okay to bad. It also allowed me to add stuff I never owned from the 50's and early 60's.

into a multi backed up large music file which enabled me to cull out some of the LPs that were really bad off from early years of ignorant record playing: teen years (this cost me the butcher album at 16), poor record players, and the horrible habit, encouraged by the stereo manufacturers of repeatedly stacking a bunch of albums and playing them for a lengthy period with them falling onto each other and harming each other from the weight and rubbing against one another a few hundred times.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Prague is a BEAUTIFUL city, and very affordable, and there are a lot of Americans there because the cost of university is so low even for people from outside the country. I recall the first time I was there standing the main square until my brain fuzzed and alerted me that it is NOT in fact normal for the guy next to me to be speaking American English (albeit of the Minnesota variety). I asked and he was guiding a tour - he went to uni there and loved it and stayed. A lot do.

Cost of beer is cheaper than bottled water, and it's GOOD beer - lagers of all strengths and colors mostly, and some craft ales but the lager is the draw. Food is good and hearty.

If you can swing it - and ticket prices may still be in the 500 or so range for those of you blessed with Newark Airport as your local - go.

I've been twice - second time with wife and kids - and would go again. Great place for a semi mature stag do as well.

Yeah I had a Czech GF at one point and she would out drink me whenever we got pints sometimes, so that beer thing is not surprising :laugh: I'm trying to do the El Clasico at the Bernabeu too later that month with my cousins who live in Spain so my October is looking super busy passport wise lol

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Oh okay, he only played 5 games, I though you had to play 9 for the first year to take affect.
The 9 games only applies to players eligible for their entry level contract to slide.

Holtz is a good example of this, as his contract slid twice because he joined the AHL team, but didn’t play more than nine NHL games his second year.

Luke was over that age limit when he signed his contract, so once he was on the NHL roster, he burned a contract year off his ELC.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
The 9 games only applies to players eligible for their entry level contract to slide.

Holtz is a good example of this, as his contract slid twice because he joined the AHL team, but didn’t play more than nine NHL games his second year.

Luke was over that age limit when he signed his contract, so once he was on the NHL roster, he burned a contract year off his ELC.
I believe we'll get an extra RFA year on luke to make up for it.

If we sign him to a 4 year deal he'll still be an RFA at the end of it, since he will only have 6 accrued years and will be under 27

Most guys who play their full 3 elc years, if you sign them to a 4 year deal, are UFAs at the end of it

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Can someone tell me how the Devils burned the 1st year of Luke Hughes ELC off.

The slide rule (the 10+ NHL games thing) only applies to teenagers. And then the CBA defines age as the player's age at September 15th of the calendar year when he signs his contract.

So even though Luke was still technically 19 when he signed in April 2023, he turned 20 on September 9th so he was "20" in the eyes of the CBA. So he didn't need to play 10+ games to burn his first year.

Bit of a quirky thing, but one example I point to is Jordan Harris (July 7, 2000) signed his entry level deal in March 2022. A week earlier, Vegas signed Isaiah Saville (September 21, 2000) to his entry level deal. But since the CBA counted Harris as 22 years old, he was required to sign a two year ELC. Whereas Saville still counted as 21, so he signed a three year ELC.

Similar thing happened with say Miles Wood back in the day. Wood signed his 3 year ELC in April 2016. First year (2015-16) was burned and then he was RFA in the summer of 2018.

When Nikita Gusev signed with Vegas, his first year got burned without ever suiting up in a game. Same thing happened when Minnesota signed Kirill Kaprizov in 2019. Ideally teams would have wanted the ELC to start the following year, but sometimes it's just the price of luring somebody to sign.

Maybe a closer example was the Devils signing Joey Anderson in April 2018. Anderson got to burn the first year (2017-18) and never played in a game. He counted as 20 despite not turning 20 until a couple months later. Anderson became RFA in the 2020 offseason and eventually signed a three year deal with Toronto after being traded for Andreas Johnsson.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
What's the record you are happiest you own? At the time I didn't really appreciate it, but back in the day (maybe 1982-1983?) I picked up the Beatles Star Club record. It sounded ok. Not great but you could at least hear what was being played so a step up from most bootlegs. I think it was from 1962? Not sure if it was pre-Ringo. My records ended up going to my brother when my parents moved and I had long since moved on to CDs and did not miss them. I remember being happy when I got some sort of import remaster of Dark Side of the Moon from Japan which was allegedly a better mix. My youngest brother and I drove over to Central Avenue in Hartsdale (that will resonate with some of the fanbase) to an import record shop. We paid a relative fortune for it (maybe twice what a normal CD went for?) and ran home to put it on the stereo to listen. It definitely upped the sax on Money but it wasn't life changing. Lesson learned.
Man that's an impossible question to answer.
- Beatles
I have all the commercial Beatles releases and I'm partial to Abbey Road, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, The double White Album, and Rubber Soul. I love them all. Sometimes I'll line 'em up and play them one after another in order of their release dates while I'm painting or doing other work on the house or working on hockey stuff, bills, and other paper work, or when I'm ill. They didn't write a song I don't like and can apply to so many things and times in my life.

- Rolling Stones
I'm very partial to their early stuff: Goats Head Soup, Aftermath, December's Children, Out of Our Heads , and Their Majesties Satanic Request. This was the Stones at their simple rockingest best with a little psychedelia thrown in.

- I am a huge Neil Young fan and have a shitload of his stuff mixed in with his Crosby, Stills , Nash and Young stuff.
Favorite songs:
"(When You're On) The Losing End", "Like A Hurricane", Cinnamon Girl", "Cowgirl In The Sand", "Powder Finger", "Pocahontas", "Southern Man", "The Needle And The Damage Done".

Late 60's early 70's are where my heart lies:
- Bob Dylan from the whining acoustic stuff to his electric conversion. My favorites are "Just Like A Woman" and "I Want You", and "Like A Rolling Stone".

-The Who
- Cream
- Derek and the Dominos
- Jefferson Airplane
- Pink Floyd
- The Byrds
- The Yardbirds
- The Blues Project
- The Bee Gees (before disco) Great makeout music. The girls loved these guys.
- The Young Rascals/The Rascals
- Janis Joplin with Big Brother And The Holding Company
- The Electric Prunes
- The Doors
-The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown
- Uriah Heep
- King Crimson
- The Turtles
- The Guess Who
- The Band
- Styx
- The Electric Light Orchestra
- Thunderclap Newman
- Three Dog Night
- Donovan
- Blue Oyster Cult
- Ten Years After
- Cat Stevens
- Linda Ronstadt
- Cactus
- Rod Stewart
- Canned Heat
- Steve Miller Band
- Steppenwolf
- The Spencer Davis Group
- Buffalo Springfield
- The Moody Blues
- Grand Funk Railroad
- Chicago Transit Authority
- Traffic
- Simon and Garfunkel
- Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Santana
- Led Zeppelin
- Jimmy Hendrix
- Rare Earth
- Moby Grape
- It's A Beautiful Day
- Quicksilver Messenger Service
- Pure Prairie League
- Procol Harum
- Bad Finger
- Mountain
- Joan Baez
- The Blues Magoos
- Iron Butterfly
- Joe Cocker
- The James Gang
- Deep Purple
- Roy Orbison
- Mamas & The Papas
- The Lovin' Spoonful
- Arlo Guthrie
- McKrendie Spring
- Jethro Tull
Many more.

The Soul music of my high school days. My school was half black. I was a team captain on an almost all black team, the only honkey on the defense, and 1 of 2 on the offense. Soul music was a part of my existence.
- The Temptations
- Sam Cooke
- Al Greene
- Gladys Knight And The Pips
- The Supremes
- Solomon Burke
- The Drifters
- Martha And The Vandellas
- Aretha Franklin
- Otis Redding
- Percy Sledge
- The Four Tops
- Sam And Dave
- Smokey Robinson and The Miracles
- Marvin Gaye
- Wilson Pickett
- Booker T. & The M.G.s
- Fats Domino
Many More. A lot from the late 50's and early 60's that were still played often during my high school days and were played at the high school and the Friday night Y-dances (at the YMCA up the street from the school).

At the same time the British Invasion took place. That other half of the high school population was comprised of a large Jewish percentage and then the rest of us. The English music was the main focus of that group.
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who
The Zombies
The Yardbirds
Herman's Hermits
Jerry and The Pacemakers
The Troggs
The Impressions
Them
The Kinks
The Searchers
The Animals
The Dave Clarke Five
Manfred Mann
Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas
Wayne Fontana And The Mindbenders
Freddie And The Dreamers
The Hollies
Many More

My High School career was a true learning experience. I was immersed in a microcosm of the nation at the time: black/white, Christian, Jewish, Asian, others; rich, poor, and in between; The Civil Rights Movement and MLK's death; the Vietnam War - guys in my neighborhood, guys I played ball with from that neighborhood, guys I played ball with and went to school with, extended family members, and local guys from other neighborhoods were shot, dismembered, POWs, and in body bags. City championship football teammates rioted after MLK's murder and turned on white folks like myself as if we had something to do with it. I dated a Jewish girl for most of my Jr and Sr years and went to see a Rabbi to see what I would have to do to become Jewish. He told me to go to college and if after I graduated, I still wanted to become Jewish come and see him. Her parents made life so horrible for her that the only thing we could do was break up.

S_________E_________E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TOLD YOU!
I told you what I was going to do today and you had to ask me a simple question and this is where my inactive doldrum state took me. I love so many of my albums that I can't single out any particular one.

I have navigated a whole in depth music march during the most crucial years of my life when the music helped me along on my chosen path.

Playing college hockey and forming life long relationships with the guys I played with was also a major factor. We became our own band of brothers.

Finally in the summer before I went off to college I reignited a relationship with the girl of my first puppy love teen romance back at age 14. She followed along the next year and those next 4 years saw us graduate and marry at the end of that summer before we moved to the Mohawk Valley for jobs we secured. We are still here, retired, and looking forward to our upcoming 52nd wedding anniversary at the end of August. It's a path I would gladly follow every step of again if I could go back and do it over.

To the posters who find this post to be off the wall for a hockey site, I apologize.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Man that's an impossible question to answer.
- Beatles
I have all the commercial Beatles releases and I'm partial to Abbey Road, Revolver, Sgt Pepper, The double White Album, and Rubber Soul. I love them all. Sometimes I'll line 'em up and play them one after another in order of their release dates while I'm painting or doing other work on the house or working on hockey stuff, bills, and other paper work, or when I'm ill. They didn't write a song I don't like and can apply to so many things and times in my life.

- Rolling Stones
I'm very partial to their early stuff: Goats Head Soup, Aftermath, December's Children, Out of Our Heads , and Their Majesties Satanic Request. This was the Stones at their simple rockingest best with a little psychedelia thrown in.

- I am a huge Neil Young fan and have a shitload of his stuff mixed in with his Crosby, Stills , Nash and Young stuff.
Favorite songs:
"(When You're On The Losing End", "Like A Hurricane", Cinnamon Girl", "Cowgirl In The Sand", "Powder Finger", "Pocahontas", "Southern Man", "The Needle And The Damage Done",

Late 60's early 70's are where my heart lies:
- Bob Dylan from the whining acoustic stuff to his electric conversion. My favorites are "Just Like A Woman" and "I Want You", and "Like A Rolling Stone".

-The Who
- Cream
- Derek and the Dominos
- Jefferson Airplane
- Pink Floyd
- The Byrds
- The Yardbirds
- The Blues Project
- The Bee Gees (before disco) Great makeout music. The girls loves these guys.
- The Young Rascals/The Rascals
- Janis Joplin with Big Brother And The Holding Company
- The Electric Prunes
- The Doors
-The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown
- Uriah Heep
- King Crimson
- The Turtles
- The Gues Who
- The Band
- Styx
- The Electric Light Orchestra
- Thunderclap Newman
- Three Dog Night
- Donovan
- Blue Oyster Cult`
- Ten Years After
- Cat Stevens
- Linda Rondstat
- Cactus
- Rod Stewart
- Canned Heat
- Steve Miller Band
- Steppenwolf
- The Spencer Davis Group
- Buffalo Springfield
- The Moody Blues
- Grand Funk Railroad
- Chicago Transit Authority
- Traffic
- Simon and Garfunkel
- Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Santana
- Led Zeppelin
- Jimmy Hendrix
- Rare Earth
- Moby Grape
- Quicksilver Messenger Service
- Pure Prairie League
- Procol Harum
- Bad Finger
- Mountain
- Joan Baez
- The Blues Magoos
- Iron Butterfly
- Joe Cocker
- The James Gang
- Deep Purple
- Roy Orbison
- Mamas & The Papas
- The Lovin' Spoonful
- Arlo Guthrie
- McKrendie Spring
- Jethro Tull

The Soul music of my high school days. My school was half black. I was a team captain on an almost all black team, the only honkey on the defense, and on1 of 2 on the offense. Sould music was a part of my existence.
- The Temptations
- Sam Cooke
- Al Greene
- Gladys Knight And The Pips
- The Supremes
- Solomon Burke
- The Drifters
- Martha And The Vandellas
- Aretha Franklin
- Otis Redding
- Percy Sledge
- The Four Tops
- Sam And Dave
- Smokey Robinson and The Miracles
- Marvin Gaye
- Wilson Pickett
- Booker T. & The M.G.s
- Fats Domino
Many More

At the same time the English Invasion took place. That other half of the high school population was comprised of a large Jewish percentage and then the rest of us. The English music was the main focus of that group.

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Who
The Zombies
The Yardbirds
Herman's Hermits
Jerry and The Pacemakers
The Troggs
The Impressions
Them
The Kinks
The Searchers
The Animals
The Dave Clarke Five
Manfred Mann
Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas
Wayne Fontana And The Mindbenders
Freddie And The Dreamers
The Hollies
Many More

My High School career was true learning experience. I was immersed in microcosm of the nation at the time: black white, Christian, Jewish, Asian, other; rich, poor, and in between; The Civil Rights Movement, MLK's death, the Vietnam War - guys in my neighborhood, guys I played ball with from that neighborhood, guys I played ball with and went to school with, extended family members, and local guys from other neighborhoods were shot, dismembered, POWs, and in body bags. City championship football teammates rioted after MLK's murder and turned on white folks like myself as if we had something to do with it. I dated a Jewish girl for most of my Jr and Sr years and went to see a Rabbi to see what I would have to do to become Jewish. He told me to go to college and after I graduated and I still wanted to become Jewish come and see him. Her parents made life so horrible for her that the only thing we could do ws break up.

S_________E_________E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TOLD YOU!
I told you what i was going to do today and you had to ask me a simple question and this is where my inactive doldrum state took me. I love so many of my albums that I can't single out any particular one.

I have navigated whole in depth music march during the most crucial years of my life when the music helped me along on my chosen path.

Playing college hockey and forming life long relationships with the guys I played with was also a major factor. We became our own band of brothers.

Finally in the summer before I went off to college I reignited a relationship with the girl of my first puppy love teen romance back at age 14. She followed along the next year and those next 4 years saw us graduate marry at the end of that summer before we moved to the Mohawk Valley for jobs we secured. We are still here, retired, and looking to our upcoming 52nd wedding anniversary at the end of August. It's a path I would gladly follow every step of again if Icould go back and do it again.

To the posters who find this post to be off the wall for a hockey site I apologize.
That’s a great retrospective that we can all learn from. You’ve had quite the roller coaster ride. I’m from the next generation that had the benefit of all that your group had done. We were post Watergate and grew up with early SNL and the knowledge that we didn’t have to blindly believe the grownups. I never dropped the “because I say so” on my kids. I always explained why I was restricting them when I had to. Thanks for sharing those reminiscences

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
That’s a great retrospective that we can all learn from. You’ve had quite the roller coaster ride. I’m from the next generation that had the benefit of all that your group had done. We were post Watergate and grew up with early SNL and the knowledge that we didn’t have to blindly believe the grownups. I never dropped the “because I say so” on my kids. I always explained why I was restricting them when I had to. Thanks for sharing those reminiscences
Thanks for the kind words and appreciation for my post.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
This article reads good for the Devils goaltending and defense. I am looking forward to an exciting upcoming season for our NJ Devils.

Go Devils

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I know it was brought up when Erika was let go, and not sure if it’s been discussed since, but my money is still on Anna Dua being Erika’s replacement.

This is in response to a Bill tweet.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This article reads good for the Devils goaltending and defense. I am looking forward to an exciting upcoming season for our NJ Devils.

Go Devils
Hopefully with the new coach NJ will play a better defensive system that does not break down as often or as completely so Markstrom has it a bit easier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad