Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It's amusing that certain Habs posters insist that Matheson is worth a huge return because he posted 60 points after playing 25 minutes a night and getting PP1 time (28 PP points). But those fans never quite consider whether Matheson would get the same ice time elsewhere. Ie, there's one Habs poster who I should block but it's almost amusing reading his "logic" who suggested Nashville ought to pay a big price for Matheson while not acknowledging they already had that Roman Josi guy. It was almost like Tyson Barrie didn't get to pad his numbers in Nashville due to a reduction in PP time.
I guess the argument would be that even with time and opportunity some defenders would be incapable of producing 60 points so Matheson is in a smaller pool of players. I agree though that absent a fit a team isn't going to empty the cupboard for him. Maybe a team that needs a PP2 guy would offer something similar to what Marino returned? Beyond that, it's funny how some posters see the discussion here as having anything to do with real life. Even if every fan of a given team showed up saying Matheson is great and will revolutionize our team and we would be happy to offer up an unprotected first and our second best prospect, who cares? it's not like a team is looking at the mess of a discussion here and acting on it.

Reactions: mdj12784

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Hello Devils fans!

Was wondering what was the general opinion on Mercer going forward! Do you guys think it was an off season and he'll bounce back? Didnt watch a lot of games but he definitely was different than last season on the scoresheet.
IMG_8931.gif

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
It's amusing that certain Habs posters insist that Matheson is worth a huge return because he posted 60 points after playing 25 minutes a night and getting PP1 time (28 PP points). But those fans never quite consider whether Matheson would get the same ice time elsewhere. Ie, there's one Habs poster who I should block but it's almost amusing reading his "logic" who suggested Nashville ought to pay a big price for Matheson while not acknowledging they already had that Roman Josi guy. It was almost like Tyson Barrie didn't get to pad his numbers in Nashville due to a reduction in PP time.
Mike Matheson over the last 2 years

-Ranks 125th/126 in dmen in terms of xGoal differential when on the PK (minimum 200 minutes)
-Ranks 40th/49 dman in terms of xGoal differential when on the PP (min 250 minutes)
-Ranks 130th/135th in terms of xGoal differential when on the ice even strength (minimum 2000 minutes)

He can truly do it all, as long as do it=suck ass

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Mike Matheson over the last 2 years

-Ranks 125th/126 in dmen in terms of xGoal differential when on the PK (minimum 200 minutes)
-Ranks 40th/49 dman in terms of xGoal differential when on the PP (min 250 minutes)
-Ranks 130th/135th in terms of xGoal differential when on the ice even strength (minimum 2000 minutes)

He can truly do it all, as long as do it=suck ass
I didn't realize he was THAT bad yet, but he's gotta be up there in age by now. I figure he's gotta be about 32 by now. Just taking a guess.

Only 30? I had it in my mind he was older than 23 during the 2017 expansion draft.

Reactions: My3Sons

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I didn't realize he was THAT bad yet, but he's gotta be up there in age by now. I figure he's gotta be about 32 by now. Just taking a guess.

Only 30? I had it in my mind he was older than 23 during the 2017 expansion draft.
He plays tough minutes 5v5, but I refuse to give credit for a guy for sucking in tough minutes, especially when he was in much easier minutes in pittsburgh and still was not good.

I don't think he's a guy I want running my PP, certainly not at the level MTL gives him control. Virtually every team anywhere near the playoffs has a guy who can QB a PP, or if not, a prospect. And if you still don't have one, you go grab a dirt cheap Barrie or Ghost or TDA.

I have no idea how he still gets PK minutes. They must REALLY not trust any of the kids on the PK.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Team for coming season looks great on paper, unlike the shaky defense team they tried last season.

Pesce, Tatar & the goalies make a huge difference. So does the fact that Luke & Mercer have some age & experience and probably won't be stacking sky high minus like last year.

1721491276609.png

Reactions: My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I think inviting Peter Repcik to camp would be a great idea. He's a center, after all. Decent skater, good size, can play physical situationally. I don't see the offensive tool kit as particularly impressive but I can see him developing into an NHL 4C in a best-case scenario and should at the very least be a capable AHL bottom 6 center.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Does any of our prospect gurus @Guadana @StevenToddIves or @evnted know anything about a Slovak center named Peter Repcik? He went undrafted as a 20 year old double overager, but seems to have decent numbers in the WJC and has been playing in the QMJHL. Worth a camp invite for a potential Utica spot?
ill never complain about giving kids a look. only really remember him from the world juniors fwiw

one of the things that stood out was how effective he was in front of the net. held his ground, always a threat to get a stick on the puck. other thing was, almost in contrast to that characterization, he was pretty good in transition, too. confident puck carrier, able to navigate space, plenty of controlled entries, turned strips and turnovers into counterattacks fairly regularly

ill echo STI in that i dont think theres a ton of upside there, its not like his skating/playmaking game is really anything great, but he was pretty effective for the slovaks and those two standout traits are quite valuable at the professional level

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We have hit the slowest point of the offseason....that means some interesting stuff should be coming up soon.
Hopefully....

It usually tends to stay quiet until just days before training camps open, but here and there there's some exciting stuff.

Does Columbus still not have a head coach? That's one thing that's definitely unresolved to this point. I heard Todd McLellan's name a month ago, but nothing else since.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Hopefully....

It usually tends to stay quiet until just days before training camps open, but here and there there's some exciting stuff.

Does Columbus still not have a head coach? That's one thing that's definitely unresolved to this point. I heard Todd McLellan's name a month ago, but nothing else since.

Gaudreau is going to be a player/coach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad