Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yikes 3 unless they are really cheap could be really hard to pull off if we are adding Pesce and Dillon.

lol I mean yeah that's part of why I didn't want to add the extra money moving from Marino to Pesce. I think the forwards need a lot of work. Guys like Boqvist or Steel would be really good cheap bottom 6 adds but neither of them are hulking forces so I doubt they register on Fitz radar. At a minimum I think we need a guy who can be a top 6 wing, a 3rd line wing, and a 4C.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Keefe with this projected defense is going to do wonders, add in Markstrom and Allen to backstop them

I am excited fam

@Devs3cups
IMG_4580.jpeg

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
It needs 3 guys and 3 regulars at that. We shouldn't be going in with Foote or Bastian pencilled in on a healthy lineup. That's asking for another year of a disaster bottom 6
There’s 2 open forward spots right now. One of Foote or Bastian will be in.

I do think our bottom 6 or middle 6 is gonna be pretty meh to start the season. We’ll have our big 4 still and a much improved D group and goaltending hopefully. And then hopefully a deadline forward addition.

Foote, Bastian, and MacDermid taking up 3 roster spots is such a waste though. Signing MacDermid was stupid. Wish you could combine Bastian and MacDermid somehow.

Wonder why a guy like Bastian doesn’t just decide and start training to be a fighter. Would probably get him more job security and money as a bruiser that can actually keep up and play on the 4th line. May not last much longer in the league as he currently is. Seattle already waived him pretty quickly and we saved him to reunite him with McLeod.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

I do think our bottom 6 or middle 6 is gonna be pretty meh to start the season. We’ll have our big 4 still and a much improved D group and goaltending hopefully. And then hopefully a deadline forward addition.

Foote, Bastian, and MacDermid taking up 3 roster spots is such a waste though. Signing MacDermid was stupid. Wish you could combine Bastian and MacDermid somehow.

Wonder why a guy like Bastian doesn’t just decide and start training to be a fighter. Would probably get him more job security and money as a bruiser that can actually keep up and play on the 4th line. May not last much longer in the league as he currently is. Seattle already waived him pretty quickly and we saved him to reunite him with McLeod.

I do agree they see it as 2 spots rather than 3. A TDL forward and Gritsyuk will be massive much needed boosts to the forwards

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
It needs 3 guys and 3 regulars at that. We shouldn't be going in with Foote or Bastian pencilled in on a healthy lineup. That's asking for another year of a disaster bottom 6
Why? Do contending teams all have third liners on their fourth line? What was special about the fourth liners on all the recent Cup winners?

Were just starting to contend - we dont need to be replacing Bastain and Foote with assets or overpayments for 4th liners because we think they suck; theyre plenty fine for the roles and cheap+young as well

If theyre upgraded on via better players ahead of them - thats one thing, but something Im not overspending for

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
cheap+young as well
I wouldn’t call Bastian cheap for what he is. But you’re right to an extent that they aren’t terrible depth/4th line guys to have around.

I do think having all of Bastian, Foote, and MacDermid is a waste. 1 or 2 I’d be fine with and you could probably find a 4th line player or two that brings a little more.

Not the end of the world though if the rest of our roster is solid.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I wouldn’t call Bastian cheap for what he is. But you’re right to an extent that they aren’t terrible depth/4th line guys to have around.

I do think having all of Bastian, Foote, and MacDermid is a waste. 1 or 2 I’d be fine with and you could probably find a 4th line player or two that brings a little more.

Not the end of the world though if the rest of our roster is solid.

Yeah if Bastian was cheaper or what he was a couple years as a really quality 4th liner I’d have no issues pencilling him in as a regular but he’s ideally a 13F now and we also have literally no clue what Foote actually is. Foote as an extra is fine but I’d like to move on from Bastian at this point and get someone cheaper to save a few hundred thousand

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

I think if the Devils see an option to move Bastian's 1.3 to another player they will either waive or find a trade partner. Im sure some team will take the 13th forward 4th line winger for nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00