Speculation: Trade and Free Agency - 2024-25

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
This isn’t to say that I think he should’ve completed avoided extending anyone. I think Hartman had a place on this roster & I could even tolerate Middleton’s extension. What I can’t tolerate is giving Gaudreau, Trenin, & Foligno $10M to play on the fourth line.
Guerin's definitely been struggling to pick his shots these last two years. "¿Por qué no los cinco?"

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
There are honestly some great FA's potentially available when the buyouts are done. Its not incredibly likely - but maybe this is all part of the plan?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
There are honestly some great FA's potentially available when the buyouts are done. It’s not incredibly likely - but maybe this is all part of the plan?
Hard to find room for them after you make the RFA/ELC signings.

Faber - 8 X $9M
Rossi - 2 X $4.5M
Wallstedt - 2 X $2M
Khusnutdinov- 2 X $1.5M
Chisholm - 2 X $1.5M
Yurov - ELC ($975K)

Kap - Yurov - Zucc
Rossi - Ek - Boldy
Ohgren - Khusnutdinov - Hartman
Foligno - Gaudreau - Trenin

Brodin - Faber
Middleton - Spurgeon
Chisholm - Bogosian

Gus
Wall

$8.6M in cap space & could be less than that based on the RFA estimates.

You remove Middleton & Foligno, then you’ve got $17M and a lot more flexibility on where you can improve the lineup. Very unlikely we’ll ever see either of them moved, but maybe Guerin finds a way to move Gaudreau.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN

Faber - 8 X $9M
Rossi - 2 X $4.5M
Wallstedt - 2 X $2M
Khusnutdinov- 2 X $1.5M
Chisholm - 2 X $1.5M
Yurov - ELC ($975K)

Kap - Yurov - Zucc
Rossi - Ek - Boldy

Brodin - Faber
Middleton - Spurgeon
Chisholm - Bogosian

Gus
Wall

You remove Middleton & Foligno, then you’ve got $17M and a lot more flexibility on where you can improve the lineup. Very unlikely we’ll ever see either of them moved, but maybe Guerin finds a way to move Gaudreau.
Are you including the projected cap increases in this? It’s expected to see $4-5MM bumps for the next two seasons.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota

Faber - 8 X $9M
Rossi - 2 X $4.5M
Wallstedt - 2 X $2M
Khusnutdinov- 2 X $1.5M
Chisholm - 2 X $1.5M
Yurov - ELC ($975K)

Kap - Yurov - Zucc
Rossi - Ek - Boldy

Brodin - Faber
Middleton - Spurgeon
Chisholm - Bogosian

Gus
Wall

I see no reason to go 9 million on Faber this early. I think a lot of those projections are premature. He is a defense first RD - and although the kid is really good - he isn't Cale Makar....lets calm down a bit. 6 - 7.5 mil is much more realistic IMO.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I see no reason to go 9 million on Faber this early. I think a lot of those projections are premature. He is a defense first RD - and although the kid is really good - he isn't Cale Makar....lets calm down a bit. 6 - 7.5 mil is much more realistic IMO.
Sanderson and Power reset the market for young defensemen coming off the ELC. If they want 8 years, it's ~$9M per year or more unless Faber is feeling generous.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Looking forward to Yurov, Buium, and Wallstedt all being Calder finalist in Kaprizov’s last year here.

Reactions: AKL

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
What sort of term do you think he’d agree to at $6-$7.5M? Cause I can guarantee it isn’t an 8 year extension at that number. He’d be leaving millions on the table.

If you want him at $6-$7.5M, you might get 4 years of term for that but when he’s 26 and needing another extension, you’re looking $10M+. Sign him now for $9M for 8 years, the deal looks incredible in 2-3 years and takes us well through this prime and as the cap goes up, it looks even better. Same idea as Boldy. Dude isn’t worth $7M now, but they’re gambling that he’s worth man that by year 3 of the deal.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
It's so backwards. Guys like Faber should be getting the extra term and money. The higher end guys will probably get short changed and haggled, while the GM's "guys" get offered the moon and stars. Not to beat a dead horse, but we saw it with Fiala. Contract negotiations were a chore, and then its easy street with Freddy, Foligno, and others. Faber, Boldy, Kap, Wally.....those are guys you give a little extra if necessary.

I don't mind Middleton staying, but it's a similar situation to Foligno. The contract is too much.

Reactions: BagHead

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
What sort of term do you think he’d agree to at $6-$7.5M? Cause I can guarantee it isn’t an 8 year extension at that number. He’d be leaving millions on the table.

If you want him at $6-$7.5M, you might get 4 years of term for that but when he’s 26 and needing another extension, you’re looking $10M+. Sign him now for $9M for 8 years, the deal looks incredible in 2-3 years and takes us well through this prime and as the cap goes up, it looks even better. Same idea as Boldy. Dude isn’t worth $7M now, but they’re gambling that he’s worth man that by year 3 of the deal.

Then run him through his ELC and RFA years without big money. Lets see what he really is first.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Maybe we should see how Faber does in year 2 before dishing out a massive contract.
I don't disagree, but based on trends, GMBG will lock him up before he's an RFA.
Then run him through his ELC and RFA years without big money. Lets see what he really is first.
Wild how anyone thinks they will be willing to bridge Faber when they didn't Boldy.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't disagree, but based on trends, GMBG will lock him up before he's an RFA.

Wild how anyone thinks they will be willing to bridge Faber when they didn't Boldy.

I thought Boldy should have been a bridge.

I'd rather wait until next offseason before extending Faber. Having Spurgeon back should eat into Faber's ToI and points totals.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Agreed, need to see if the offense holds up, is elite or is just kind of great to good.

Well it's not elite; that would Maker, Hughes, and prime EK in my book.

Faber seems more of the Suter 40-50p a year that somehow just always happen offense to me.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

The original plan was to bridge Boldy before they managed to agree on 7x7. I believe Russo reported as such.

A similar situation would be planning to bridge Faber and then they find out 8x8 is acceptable for both sides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad