Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
A lot more likely he is playing in Sweden next year

Oh definitely. Fitz isn't signing the 6 foot 180 pound guy.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his entire aav can be buried in the AHL? There's no reason to not at least bring someone on board that can compete with him and potentially give a little something extra.

Given how much I do expect MacDermid to play, the idea of using two spots in the lineup for those two guys makes me queasy

I think it's 1.15. So MacDermid the whole thing but Bastian 200k still on books

Reactions: Forge

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Kind of bummed we haven't signed Nosek yet!:sarcasm:
I mention it above, but I would be OK with it. He was pretty good late in the season.

Can we get a faster better option for that 4th line? Color me skeptical.

I also think we see a lot less of our 4th line next year, especially if Mac is in the lineup.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Fitz did put a top 6 forward on his list so I’m still waiting to see who that is.

1719782673100.png

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It’s not draft but I’m incredibly disappointed we didn’t move heaven and earth to get into the Sergachev sweepstakes. Never thought of him as available. But without a doubt the most impactful single player who’s moved last week. Would have transformed our back line and put us on another level.

I mean Sergachev is really good but he needs to be a PP guy to really be worth his contract. We already have Luke, Dougie, Nemec

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I mention it above, but I would be OK with it. He was pretty good late in the season.

I also think we see a lot less of our 4th line next year, especially if Mac is in the lineup.
I would definitely sign Nosek again. What other cheap center depth is out there? Not sure why anyone would strongly oppose it. Chris Tierney fans maybe?

Reactions: devilsblood

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
You: Siegenthaler sucks, that’s why he’s paid what he is.

Me: What do you mean? He’s paid pretty well for the type of player he is.

You: Wow you’re evaluating him as a top pair defensemen just because of what he’s paid

I didn’t bring his contract up, you did and it didn’t make any sense at all. I don’t really care who is technically the top pair or not nor do so care what he’s paid.

I think Dougie and Siegenthaler and Dillon and Nemec are better fitting pairings.
Yes, Siegenthaler does suck if you plan on playing him 20+ minutes a night - and that is why he is paid what he is, aka paid a salary not to play the top pair

The Siegenthaler-Hamilton pairing has a single season together which ran a system we dont play and once the league caught on was easily shut down; we are never again keeping teams to below 20 shots a game for over half a season

Siegenthaler is not a top pair defenseman nor is he a good defenseman to play your top pair, if youre trying to contend. Dillon would be better served in that spot or Luke-Pesce as the top pair

Defaulting to Siegenthaler on the top pair in our biggest season yet under Fitzgerald would be pretty poor decision making on his part - and I doubt that happens

And it was a terrible look last year when Siegenthaler couldnt defend a beach ball - poor coaching, system planned for, he went from a great defensive defenseman to a terrible defensive defenseman

Siegenthaler shouldnt be playing above Luke or Dillon (if thats who we get)

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

Faster? How about someone who doesn’t have stone hands too, or is more physical, or has a half decent shot and can score every now and then.

Nosek is overall one of the worst players skill wise I’ve seen. He virtually sucked at everything. Shouldn’t even be an NHL player and he may not be anymore. Very much doubt Fitz goes back to him.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
It’s not draft but I’m incredibly disappointed we didn’t move heaven and earth to get into the Sergachev sweepstakes. Never thought of him as available. But without a doubt the most impactful single player who’s moved last week. Would have transformed our back line and put us on another level.
He's not worth his cap hit and he just had a major injury. Probably a brutal contract in the back half, if it isn't by next season.

You have two young d-men who will probably extend at a hit similar to his as well.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I would definitely sign Nosek again. What other cheap center depth is out there? Not sure why anyone would strongly oppose it. Chris Tierney fans maybe?
I strongly oppose it and I’m not a tierney fan. I just posted about it above but in summary he sucks and shouldn’t be an NHL player IMO

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

The Devils didn't really have the pieces to get this done. Tampa got back a useful LD and a 20 year old who has 3 years left on his ELC. I don't think Tampa's trading for #10 and Siegenthaler or #10 and Bahl.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
They already replaced Siegenthalar in the lineup with the Silayev pick, they also think that Dougie can get him back to 22-23 levels. Clearly Dougie carried that pair unlike what most of us thought with Siegs being the defensive rock. I also doubt Siegs is that BAD again and if he is then it's an issue we get to next offseason. Also chances are if they sign a guy like Dillon, Keefe will mix and match pairs unlike the prior staff. It was either him or Marino this summer and they chose the latter which is fine

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I’m not going to be too surprised if both pesce and Dillion aren’t devils tomorrow. The reporters are making it seem like it’s already happened. They also said gaudreau to nj already happened and then it didn’t. I agree with the other poster that said we should go after Roy instead of pesce.

Nobody had Gaudreau as definitively signing in NJ as we've seen with Pesce.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Yes, Siegenthaler does suck if you plan on playing him 20+ minutes a night - and that is why he is paid what he is, aka paid a salary not to play the top pair

The Siegenthaler-Hamilton pairing has a single season together which ran a system we dont play and once the league caught on was easily shut down; we are never again keeping teams to below 20 shots a game for over half a season

Siegenthaler is not a top pair defenseman nor is he a good defenseman to play your top pair, if youre trying to contend. Dillon would be better served in that spot or Luke-Pesce as the top pair

Defaulting to Siegenthaler on the top pair in our biggest season yet under Fitzgerald would be pretty poor decision making on his part - and I doubt that happens

And it was a terrible look last year when Siegenthaler couldnt defend a beach ball - poor coaching, system planned for, he went from a great defensive defenseman to a terrible defensive defenseman

Siegenthaler shouldnt be playing above Luke or Dillon (if thats who we get)
Holy crap man. Who cares who’s technically listed as the top pair on the lineup sheet. With our D group I expect the minutes to be fairly spread out and situation based.

Fit is very important and as I said the pairings suggested are better fits in my opinion.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Holy crap man. Who cares who’s technically listed as the top pair on the lineup sheet. With our D group I expect the minutes to be fairly spread out and situation based.

Fit is very important and as I said the pairings suggested are better fits in my opinion.
Idk what there is to 'holy crap man' for - Siegenthaler will not be playing the same minutes as Luke Hughes. Not even close. Therefore it does matter who the top pair is

You can keep saying fit but that 'fit' had a single season of sample size under a different coach in our greatest regular season ever - the odds of that replicating are slim to none

I see absolutely no reason why Nemec and Siegenthaler cant play together (edit: nor why Dillon or Schmidt couldnt play with Dougie and do just as well or better)

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Going to harp on this train again, but would love to bring Boqvist back for cheap after he wasn’t qualified.

Doubt he has any interest after not being qualified and all his Swedish buddies being dealt, but he could be a good depth forward. Replaces the speed and transition game we lost with McLeod too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 8
    Staked: $30,350.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00