Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Would anyone dare try to sign any of those guys lol...I mean in a league that drafted garbage like Malloux I can't completely rule out someone going off the reservation

I think this is a different level of PR nightmare that everyone steers clear of

Reactions: Bleedred

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Yeah I kind of assume there's a closed door gentlemen's agreement there since Bettman hasn't wanted to make any public announcement on their eligibility the way he even did with Quenneville.
I doubt it’s even a gentlemen’s agreement. I’m guessing the teams have all been told and know not to even consider trying.

Reactions: Bleedred

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I think it’s safe to say this will be the pairings to start the year. Nemec probably has improved enough to take over for Siegenthaller by mid season.

Siegenthaller - Hamilton
Hughes - Pesce
Nemec - Dillon
DiSimone. Hatakka

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
What are you on about? I didn’t latch onto anything or even make a point there.

I simply asked what you meant by that statement?
I made an argument as to why Siegenthaler should not be on the top pair, to which you commented about his contract which I also mentioned

Im just wondering why you'd put Siegenthaler on the top pair if he isnt fit for the top pair; Id put Dillon above him, if thats who we acquire - if not then Luke and Pesce become Top pair

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
lol Well I mean if Dillon's being called a big name then a guy like TT or Duclair definitely is to me even as lower end top 6ers
Yes, if you consider Dillon a big name, by all means consider those guys big names.

I don't consider Dillon a big name (hence my inclusion of "just" when referring to Dillon in previous post) and don't consider a lot of the likely forward targets for this team "big names".

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
yeah i don’t think Lazar should be our 4th line center. would be awesome to see someone like Bowers step up and snag that role but i would really love to bring someone in.

i hope this is how we see our bottom 6 right now

Palat-Haula-Lazar/Bastian
Cotter-Free Agent/Trade-Bastian/Lazar
I'm fine bringing Nosek back. He was good once he got healthy.

Also think they give Cotter that 3rd line chance before Lazar. And was seen in his highlight reel, it looks like he has played RW.

Palat Haula Cotter
Foote Nosek Lazar
Bastian Mac.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I made an argument as to why Siegenthaler should not be on the top pair, to which you commented about his contract which I also mentioned

Im just wondering why you'd put Siegenthaler on the top pair if he isnt fit for the top pair; Id put Dillon above him, if thats who we acquire - if not then Luke and Pesce become Top pair
You: Siegenthaler sucks, that’s why he’s paid what he is.

Me: What do you mean? He’s paid pretty well for the type of player he is.

You: Wow you’re evaluating him as a top pair defensemen just because of what he’s paid

I didn’t bring his contract up, you did and it didn’t make any sense at all. I don’t really care who is technically the top pair or not nor do so care what he’s paid.

I think Dougie and Siegenthaler and Dillon and Nemec are better fitting pairings.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
You: Siegenthaler sucks, that’s why he’s paid what he is.

Me: What do you mean? He’s paid pretty well for the type of player he is.

You: Wow you’re evaluating him as a top pair defensemen just because of what he’s paid

I didn’t bring his contract up, you did and it don’t make any sense at all. I don’t really care who is technically the top pair or not.

I think Dougie and Siegenthaler and Dillon and Nemec are better fitting pairings.

He also got paid this money when he was good lol. So that original poin wouldn't even make sense.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
I'm not sure Bastian skates well enough to be an effective 4th liner. Feels like most teams would prefer some speed/pest ability in that spot. He has decent goalscoring touch for a 4th liner but not sure he brings enough

Reactions: Darkauron

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I’m not going to be too surprised if both pesce and Dillion aren’t devils tomorrow. The reporters are making it seem like it’s already happened. They also said gaudreau to nj already happened and then it didn’t. I agree with the other poster that said we should go after Roy instead of pesce.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Fitz did put a top 6 forward on his list so I’m still waiting to see who that is.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
He also got paid this money when he was good lol. So that original poin wouldn't even make sense.
I think he was trying to say earlier that Siegenthaler was never good. Our system or something made him look better and that’s why they didn’t pay him more because they knew he wasn’t good is what it was sounding like originally.

Devils Army

Rebuild Over.
Feb 3, 2014
New Jersey
I’m not going to be too surprised if both pesce and Dillion aren’t devils tomorrow. The reporters are making it seem like it’s already happened. They also said gaudreau to nj already happened and then it didn’t. I agree with the other poster that said we should go after Roy instead of pesce.
I think we'll get one for sure. But Pesce might just have a fantastic agent who's gonna get him a bag.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I'm not sure Bastian skates well enough to be an effective 4th liner. Feels like most teams would prefer some speed/pest ability in that spot. He has decent goalscoring touch for a 4th liner but not sure he brings enough

I mean he never skated well and was a very effective 4th liner at at a time but the lifespan for 4th liners generally isn't that long and he's had 4 years. You've got such a small margin for error as a 4th liner. He's probably just declined a bit which means he belongs more as a 13F than regular 4th liner

Reactions: Devils Army

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think his entire aav can be buried in the AHL? There's no reason to not at least bring someone on board that can compete with him and potentially give a little something extra.

Given how much I do expect MacDermid to play, the idea of using two spots in the lineup for those two guys makes me queasy

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Pesce over Roy is still just baffling me. Roy blocks more shots, throws more hits, has better defensive numbers, likely a better contract. Like unless Pesce’s taking a sizable discount to be close to home it reeks of chasing the name
I think the Hurricanes let Pesce to negotiate his next contract with other teams freely, just like they did with Hamilton few years ago. The Devils didn't have the same opportunity with Roy. Of course, there is a lot of tampering going on, but it's not sure way to get a player. Sometimes it's not a sure thing, even if you trade negotiating rights for a player.

With Pesce the Devils made a move that helped them to upgrade the defence (yes, Pesce is a better player than Marino) and get couple draft picks. They can also use another of those 2nd rounders in a trade where they get Colton or some other middle 6 winger.

Of course, it's also possible, or even likely, the Devils prefer Pesce to Roy.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Is there anyway to not see any posts that contain a certain word?

If I have to see another person talking about re-signing Nosek I might delete my account and leave these boards permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad