Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
One of the dumber moves last summer letting him go

Yeah other moves you could at least put forth a justifiable reason. We let Boqvist walk so he could go sign a f***ing minimum. It 100% had to be Fitz just going “tOo sMaLl”. He should’ve been retained and it also should’ve been Suter over Nosek.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Except the team he went to just let him go too. He gets so overrated here

And Bruins fans are pissed about him leaving and Fitz overcorrecting in the bottom 6 is proof he misses Boqvist here. No one thinks he's a savior but he's the type of player that made the 22-23 Devils good. Was he the reason we sucked last year? Heck no, but the emphasis on slower/heavier players definitely played a role in the bottom 6 being garbage when it was the obvious of our calling card in 22-23 where we caved teams into the ground skating wise.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Faster? How about someone who doesn’t have stone hands too, or is more physical, or has a half decent shot and can score every now and then.

Nosek is overall one of the worst players skill wise I’ve seen. He virtually sucked at everything. Shouldn’t even be an NHL player and he may not be anymore. Very much doubt Fitz goes back to him.
Nosek is a defense first (or even only) 4th line center. Good faceoff guy, good giveaway takeaway ratio, can play PK.

It's the 4th line, and maybe we can bring in a faster guy with more offensive skill, but I can guarantee it comes at the expense of defense.

Fans are just going to hate on 4th lines though. Heck wasn't too long ago people wanted to move on from McLeod.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Idk what there is to 'holy crap man' for - Siegenthaler will not be playing the same minutes as Luke Hughes. Not even close. Therefore it does matter who the top pair is

You can keep saying fit but that 'fit' had a single season of sample size under a different coach in our greatest regular season ever - the odds of that replicating are slim to none

I see absolutely no reason why Nemec and Siegenthaler cant play together
The holy crap man is you not really reading/comprehending remotely what I’ve saying. Even if Siegenthaler is playing with Dougie on what is listed as the top pair, he won’t playing as many minutes as Luke. That’s literally my whole point. Therefore it doesn’t matter in the slightest who’s listed as the top pair.

He already played 2 minutes less per game than Luke this year despite being listed on the top pair most of the time. That will likely be an even bigger difference if he still sucks and we bring in someone better than Bahl and Smith such as Dillon.

The fit wasn’t just about that one season. I don’t want Nemec with Siegenthaler. When they’ve played together, Siegenthaler is either not giving Nemec the puck and just throwing it up the wall or he’s sending him tougher to deal with and rimmed D2D’s. Nemec isn’t that great at dealing with those and Siegenthaler doesn’t really help get him the puck in good spots and play to his strengths. I think a better, more experienced D partner who hopefully doesn’t do that as much will be better for Nemec.
And I think Dougie is very good at playing with Siegenthaler. Even when Siegs has been bad, Dougie plays a pretty simple game himself and seems pretty adept and comfortable at taking any shitty rims or passes he might be getting from him and dealing with them. He’s much better at doing so than Nemec and I want Nemec to have a partner than can help him flourish not potentially drag him down.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I mean we already had Hatakka and DeSimone as depth D. We needed a 3LD and Kovacevic is a RD. This doesn’t feel like a move they’re making to forgo Pesce or 3LD
Looks like a decent depth D playing for peanuts. Played over 60 games last year and was a +11 on Montreal. That’s a good start to the research for me.

And 6’5”. Good lord.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Nosek is a defense first (or even only) 4th line center. Good faceoff guy, good giveaway takeaway ratio, can play PK.

It's the 4th line, and maybe we can bring in a faster guy with more offensive skill, but I can guarantee it comes at the expense of defense.

Fans are just going to hate on 4th lines though. Heck wasn't too long ago people wanted to move on from McLeod.
I wasn’t one of these guys. I promise you we can do better than a decent defensive guy who can’t skate, hit, stickhandle, or shoot.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Fine add, he's probably gonna be a 7D. We had Brendan Smith as a f***ing regular last year and this guy is way better than him. Fitz and company are probably scared shitless of injuries destroying their season again.

Hopefully he starts focusing that attention up front soon. We have 7 NHL D now without the Pesce and 3LD stuff. We barely have more than 7 quality forwards right now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad