Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Clearly the league and teams don't have an issue, but how is the contract info / destination known already? Is there a soft talking period or something?
I don't think there's supposed to be but there seems to be a mutual agreement to ignore that.

Reactions: Oneiro

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
That's not how any of this works. The players union would never agree to let something like that occur.

Each contract a player signs through their agent is its own legal agreement with the team and their lawyers. You don't change the terms after the contract is signed. It's a legal agreement.
Yeah A-Rod's trade to the Red Sox in 2003 got nixed cause the union wouldn't let him defer money from an already signed deal. The guy who ran the MLB Union then, is running the NHL Union now, or at least was as of recently.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He's just a dude.

If he's good enough to beat out competition, good for him. But I'm not hesitating to put in competition and upgrade on him

His contract is also able to be buried, so in zbc's example, if he's the 13th / 14th forward, I'm absolutely putting that money in the ahl

I love Bastian but he had a rough year, partly due to injury. Hopefully he’s healthy and can have a productive off-season.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
Yeah A-Rod's trade to the Red Sox in 2003 got nixed cause the union wouldn't let him defer money from an already signed deal. The guy who ran the MLB Union then, is running the NHL Union now, or at least was as of recently.
Didn't know that. Funny enough now MLB is all about deferrals now which I personally think is stupid considering time value of money and god forbid something tragic happens. Secure the bag as soon as possible, you're worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

I think what this poster is suggesting is something like what the NFL does where players take pay cuts to sign another player. The NHL and NHLPA does not have that written in the CBA.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I love Bastian but he had a rough year, partly due to injury. Hopefully he’s healthy and can have a productive off-season.

He said in his exit interview he is really looking forward to this offseason because he can get back to training hard (unlike previous off season due to injury healing)

Jondre91

Jul 1, 2017
do people think Fitz is trying to purposely ruin the team. that is the way it seems. maybe he is trying to do good. he might not doing it the way we like but he is trying

HersheyBob27

Apr 5, 2014
Canada
Problem with Bastian is he is too often not available.

He's a prototype 4th liner otherwise.
I think you can pencil in Nate to start season at 4RW. Having a full off season to work out after rehabbing last summer is huge. I think he has a career year this winter.
As an aside I hope people are prepared for jack to not feel comfortable until after the new year. Shoulder surgery can mess with your head

Reactions: devilsblood

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Hasn’t nothing to do with this. No one wanted Holtz because he isn’t very good
Don't confuse me with someone that thought Holtz was good. But how many times have we read about how someone's value is decreased because we know they want out? Same situation here. I don't think Holtz should have returned a great player, but we didn't help ourselves by making it so obvious.
“LMAO”

Marino for two 2nds isn’t good value?

Schmid and Holtz who have little value for a 3rd and a depth forward isn’t good value?

Do tell me what he should have gotten for them and from where. Do tell
Not sure if this was replying to me or someone else. I said a couple of times the Marino trade is fine from a value standpoint. I also like Cotter, I think he can fill some of the void left by Myles Wood. It's just disappointing that that's the type of return Holtz can get at this point. I'm happier with the result there than the Marino trade. Maybe we end up trading the 2025 pick for help now in the next few days, why I said I'd reserve judgement. I just would have preferred a roster player is all.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Don't confuse me with someone that thought Holtz was good. But how many times have we read about how someone's value is decreased because we know they want out? Same situation here. I don't think Holtz should have returned a great player, but we didn't help ourselves by making it so obvious.

Not sure if this was replying to me or someone else. I said a couple of times the Marino trade is fine from a value standpoint. I also like Cotter, I think he can fill some of the void left by Myles Wood. It's just disappointing that that's the type of return Holtz can get at this point. I'm happier with the result there than the Marino trade. Maybe we end up trading the 2025 pick for help now in the next few days, why I said I'd reserve judgement. I just would have preferred a roster player is all.
Was replying to KJ

Tonight’s Doordasher wasn’t ready for my sticker reply

Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 10.35.47 PM.jpeg

Last edited:

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I made a joke about Palat giving Stamkos some of his money to come here. I see it caused a debate about the legality of it. I understand this is my fault and I promise, in the future, I will make the same types of stupid jokes and not clarify that they are in fact, just stupid jokes. If you take them seriously going forward, this is on you.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I made a joke about Palat giving Stamkos some of his money to come here. I see it caused a debate about the legality of it. I understand this is my fault and I promise, in the future, I will make the same types of stupid jokes and not clarify that they are in fact, just stupid jokes. If you take them seriously going forward, this is on you.
We talking Andre Palot?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad