Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Refuse to?
He didn't really get a chance to rebuild. Not saying he would have...but there really was no window there.

2012 finals....2013 a scramble to replace Parise... 2013 Kovalchuck gets freaky and his Mom starts tweeting...

2014 is really the first real opportunity to begin a rebuild in my opinion...and you can argue he begins it with going out and getting Schneider...it was definitely a poor decision...

End of 2015 he was gone.

I don't know where or when he refused to rebuild? But I don't think he ever had the opportunity.
I remember him being quoted "I don't rebuild, I reload".

I don't think rebuilding is in Lou's DNA

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I remember him being quoted "I don't rebuild, I reload".

I don't think rebuilding is in Lou's DNA
Yup .. definitely true. But the window from the finals to our the door was 3 years with a lockout in those 3 years... retool, reload, rebuild? In 2&1/2 seasons?

I mean we've been "rebuilding" for 9 consecutive seasons since Lou left now .

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Yup .. definitely true. But the window from the finals to our the door was 3 years with a lockout in those 3 years... retool, reload, rebuild? In 2&1/2 seasons?

I mean we've been "rebuilding" for 9 consecutive seasons since Lou left now .
Lou doesn't rebuild, he never has. Not sure what your point is.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Refuse to?
He didn't really get a chance to rebuild. Not saying he would have...but there really was no window there.

2012 finals....2013 a scramble to replace Parise... 2013 Kovalchuck gets freaky and his Mom starts tweeting...

2014 is really the first real opportunity to begin a rebuild in my opinion...and you can argue he begins it with going out and getting Schneider...it was definitely a poor decision...

End of 2015 he was gone.

I don't know where or when he refused to rebuild? But I don't think he ever had the opportunity.

It was definitely after the 2013 year when Kovy said bye to this team, the Schneider trade was great but there was no real plan behind that. The team was pretty garbage/mediocre and just lost its 2 best forwards without getting nothing in return. That's a death sentence in the cap era

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Lou doesn't rebuild, he never has. Not sure what your point is.
Pretty amazing to be a GM of an organization for 27 seasons and have an above .500 record in 23 of them without rebuilding.

It was definitely after the 2013 year when Kovy said bye to this team, the Schneider trade was great but there was no real plan behind that. The team was pretty garbage/mediocre and just lost its 2 best forwards without getting nothing in return. That's a death sentence in the cap era

That would have been the 2014 season.
Kovalchuck played in the lockout shortened 2013 season and left at the end of it.

From the time Kovalchuck left and Lou went to Toronto 2 seasons were played. 2013-14 and 2014-15. He was gone in May of 2015. That's one year to rebuild, two off seasons, the summer of 2013 to the summer of 2014. It was always ludicrous to judge that tiny timeframe with such viciousness and irrationality. Considering 2 and half decades of success.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
You guys are so weird. Spend so much pointless time and effort trying to convince Jim to see things your way. Jim in his Jim way, says "I see it now," And everyone jumps on him about how wrong he was and other stuff he probably still believes to get him to keep arguing.

The fish have become the Jims.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Pretty amazing to be a GM of an organization for 27 seasons and have an above .500 record in 23 of them without rebuilding.

That would have been the 2014 season.
Kovalchuck played in the lockout shortened 2013 season and left at the end of it.

From the time Kovalchuck left and Lou went to Toronto 2 seasons were played. 2013-14 and 2014-15. He was gone in May of 2015. That's one year to rebuild, two off seasons, the summer of 2013 to the summer of 2014. It was always ludicrous to judge that tiny timeframe with such viciousness and irrationality. Considering 2 and half decades of success.

They got Cory Schneider at the 2013 draft, I was literally there Jim lol

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
His and Conte's drafting the last half of it is what buried Lou, before he had the bullets (assets) to keep reloading, towards the end of his tenure all chambers were empty as was his holster. The cupboard was bare.

Can we have a separate thread where the old timers can go to wax Lou's pole?
Who are you calling old-timers?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Jim had an epiphany and now it’s about to get side tracked by Lou talk
That shit was brought up because what Fitz is doing is rebuilding the defense on the fly... I never brought it up....but the parallels between how how Lou did it for a long time are obvious...

Lou did it with trades and lower picks ...Fitz is doing it with Free Agents and high picks but the parallels are there nonetheless. ....that triggered some obviously... otherwise no reason whatsoever to bring up Lou.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
That shit was brought up because what Fitz is doing is rebuilding the defense on the fly... I never brought it up....but the parallels between how how Lou did it for a long time are obvious...

Lou did with trades and lower picks ...Fitz is doing it with Free Agents and high picks but the parallels are there nonetheless. ....that triggered some obviously... otherwise no reason whatsoever to bring up Lou.
I know you didn’t bring it up

I was just saying

Reactions: JimEIV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad