Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
That plus there’s only so many times you can tell GM’s your former high pick is on the table before the red flags go up.
I think the value started going down as soon as he had played a stretch of NHL games. He couldn’t keep up and it was hard to see him turning out pretty quickly.

Reactions: JimEIV

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Depends, is it a 30 goal black hole everywhere else ala Michael Ryder or late in his career Petr Sykora? I don’t care, as long as NJ makes the playoffs and takes steps forward as a team.
Eh Ryder had a pretty decent career and got 15-16 minutes a game on very good teams including a Cup winner, that would be infinitely more than Holtz looks capable of at this point.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
You don't have to convince me about his deficiencies and what his future will hold...I don't disagree one bit...and I don't even disagree that there was probably no market for him...

But you just can't let a former #7OA fizz out to nothing. He should have been moved when he was still a worth while project for some team.

they tried including him in the Meier trade last year and SJ wanted Muk instead.

I am not that thrilled with this trade either, but you can't just invent value for a player if it doesn't exist. Not to mention shit talking him in the media can't help.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Well he has seven years left at $6.25 million and Pesce's getting six at likely a similar cap number if not slightly higher so not that big a difference at this point, especially since Severson's three months younger.
I mean the load management portion specifically

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I think the devils got cotter to play in top 9 not on the 4th line but we will see what happens.

Devils could use two defenseman and one more forward. Hopefully they don’t give out too much term or bad contracts Monday.

I liked the deal Carolina did with orlov 2 years at high aav. Wonder if there is anyone devils could sign like that
It’s quite possible, Vegas has some serious depth up front and his better teammates with or without you stats with Cotter are surprisingly good. Playing with mostly trash he managed to put up 100 shots in 12 minutes a game.

Eh Ryder had a pretty decent career and got 15-16 minutes a game on very good teams including a Cup winner, that would be infinitely more than Holtz looks capable of at this point.
I just don’t think it’s worth getting angry about. We have been quite lucky with our 1sts in recent years not to have complete flops, it happens. NJ is loaded moving forward, some will say Sheri did that but I think much of it is due to good drafting and excellent trading by Fitz.

Reactions: JimEIV

SKNJD9

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Pretty content with the weekend,

Thought the Sally pick was great, excellent value at 10.

The Marino trade made a ton of sense. I know some people wanted him included in a deal to bring back a top 6 winger. Truth is not a single top 6 winger got traded this weekend unless you count Kevin Hayes... I don't. So we really did not miss out on anything there. The goalie we picked up with the 24 2nd, ideal situation, love Yegorov. The 2nd next yr is either ammo in a trade or will help soften the blow of not having a 1st next yr.

Schmid for a 3rd ( that's how i'm breaking it down damn it lol ) Akira fell to 4th on our depth chart, credit to Daws for pushing him down. Poulter deserves a shot in the AHL after a great ECHL season and playoff. It is what it is.

Holtz for Cotter.

It sucks, not the trade. The situation. No one likes to admit Holtz busted and was mismanaged early in his development here, there's equal blame to go around the player and the org for this one.

Cotter should do well in our bottom 6, big dude, mean and really good hands for a guy that size defense is okay to average. Has a knack for a highlight goal or play every month or so, he'll be fun to watch at least.

Thought we passed on some better talent for size after the 1st rd, I'm not a draft expert by any means so I won't go too deep there.

B-

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
they tried including him in the Meier trade last year and SJ wanted Muk instead.

I am not that thrilled with this trade either, but you can't just invent value for a player if it doesn't exist. Not to mention shit talking him in the media can't help.

Yeah, I'm the biggest Holtz fan on this board but it was curtains after that presser in March. That's on Fitz but when you publicly do that it's over for that player's value. I hope he tears it up in Vegas and this fanbase understands it was never gonna happen here a la Sam Bennett with Florida

If anyone needed more confirmation Friedman just reaffirmed on the 32 thoughts pod that Pesce is going to NJ.

Please no scary contract lol

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Clearly the league and teams don't have an issue, but how is the contract info / destination known already? Is there a soft talking period or something?

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
1 year, 1 million to Kevin Labanc? Ultimately you just bury he or Bastian I think.

I would just bury Bastian in this situation. If someone picks him up on waivers, so be it. He's only got a year left and frankly I don't think that they are going to bring him back, though I could be wrong.
Bastian showed heart for this team when nobody else would, his buddy turned out to be a charged sexual offender, and he now has a new coach he can try a new start under

Moving him would be an ultimate disrespect IMO and would show a counter to Fitzgerald's motto of being tougher; who tried to defend his teammates from Rempe before McDermaid?

Bastian deserves a chance through camp

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Would be down for a Luke extension this summer. Might happen and the cap is there to so it and it’s only going up. He’s a long term piece regardless of what happens this off-season, but it will be interesting!

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Bastian showed heart for this team when nobody else would, his buddy turned out to be a charged sexual offender, and he now has a new coach he can try a new start under

Moving him would be an ultimate disrespect IMO and would show a counter to Fitzgerald's motto of being tougher; who tried to defend his teammates from Rempe before McDermaid?

Bastian should not be penciled into the top 12. He just isnt good and he cant move.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

He's just a dude.

If he's good enough to beat out competition, good for him. But I'm not hesitating to put in competition and upgrade on him

His contract is also able to be buried, so in zbc's example, if he's the 13th / 14th forward, I'm absolutely putting that money in the ahl

Reactions: Guttersniped

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
You don't have to convince me about his deficiencies and what his future will hold...I don't disagree one bit...and I don't even disagree that there was probably no market for him...

But you just can't let a former #7OA fizz out to nothing. He should have been moved when he was still a worth while project for some team.
Shit happens man the teams around the league aren’t dumb they see the same stuff even when he had “value” they were going to get Pennies for him regardless of when they moved him.

People wanted to improve the bottom 6 well this guy on Vegas should do just that.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
He's just a dude.

If he's good enough to beat out competition, good for him. But I'm not hesitating to put in competition and upgrade on him

His contract is also able to be buried, so in zbc's example, if he's the 13th / 14th forward, I'm absolutely putting that money in the ahl
I think hell have a good enough camp for that to not matter -
Bastian should not be penciled into the top 12. He just isnt good and he cant move.
Penciled in, no; but he should have the upper hand if hes equal with others for that fourth line since hes literally bled for us already

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Problem with Bastian is he is too often not available.

He's a prototype 4th liner otherwise.

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
Cap circumvention. You cant just agree to give someone salary like that

Did you seriously believe the league would let that slide ?

On top of Palat the actually legal issues of Palat just paying someone 2 million dollars lol
What if Palat doesn't tell anyone? How could they prove that in your opinion?

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
That's not how any of this works. The players union would never agree to let something like that occur.

Each contract a player signs through their agent is its own legal agreement with the team and their lawyers. You don't change the terms after the contract is signed. It's a legal agreement.

Reactions: Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad