Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Arvidsson would make sense, good production/underlying numbers and a right shot -- right now Mercer is the only one in the top 9 with a right shot. Maybe his injury issues could knock off some term for the deal as well

Reactions: Comparison Ford

McDuffz88

HIRE BERUBE!!!
Sep 18, 2019
Killing joke on the main boards saying Fitz made a blunder in drafting Nemec and there are better players drafted after him we should of taken. I get the Fitz hate for some of the moves he made but this is ludicrous to say Fitz botched the Nemec pick.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
This is how I would allocate 19.8m.
Pesce $6m
Mercer $4m
Dillon $3m
Domi $3m (I would also accept Duchene and Henrique as alternative for Domi)
Trenin $2.5m
Nosek $1m (I would have him as 13th F over Foote, who I would sign but send to AHL)

Bratt-Hischier-Meier
Domi-JHughes-Mercer
Palat-Huala-Trenin
Cotter-Lazar-Bastian

Sigenthaler-Hamilton
LHughes-Pesce
Dillon-Nemec

Markstrom-Allen

Nosek-MacDermid-DeSimone
Mercer if getting 3 years or less should be closer to $3-3.5M. Dillon I think will be closer to $4.5-5M.

Domi at least $4M.

Find something better than Nosek.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Foote should absolutely go to AHL given he had barely played last season due to injuries.
I think the 13th forward slot should be a center if we are forced to carry MacDermid. Nosek as a 5C is fine. I doubt their is a better 5C available as a free agent market.
I would think he'd need to clear waivers. I think he starts as #13 given that, unless he has a poor camp.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
literally all the contract comparable projections have him somewhere between $2.5-$3 million per year

if he got almost double that, I would be shocked
He is viewed as a top 4 Dman that is likely to get a short term deal (due to age). On the free agent market, $2.5-3M seems too low IMO.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I might take a vacation from these boards until October. The thoughtless negativity is too much to take. Hell, it’s mid summer and FA hasn’t even happened yet. Holtz fan boys have to understand it was a pick that didn’t work and he was a borderline sunk cost. I am quite confident he won’t work in Vegas.
I'm not a Holtz fan...never was but the return was rough

Ty Smith was a pick that didn't work out either. He returned Marino.

Ty Smith has played 9 NHL games since he's been traded. I guarantee you Holtz plays more than that by the end of October.

We got fleeced in this deal

Reactions: McDuffz88

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
I’m really looking forward to free agency. The team is intent on adding the physical element to the game plan. It seems sorta crazy to be screaming about roster deficiencies when we are 1 day away from the time period when roster issues get addressed. And even then, still months away from puck drop on a new season. Maybe give it one minute of time and reflection before you melt down over moves we all should have seen coming.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

Ty Smith has played 9 NHL games since he's been traded. I guarantee you Holtz plays more than that by the end of October.

We didn’t get fleeced, we chose to trade him when the market disliked him or valued him what he is at this stage of his career. He is a literal black hole for possession due to compete, board play, careless decisions with the puck and inability to get in lanes.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
We didn’t get fleeced, we chose to trade him when the market disliked him or valued him what he is at this stage of his career. He is a literal black hole for possession due to compete, board play, careless decisions with the puck and inability to get in lanes.
You don't have to convince me about his deficiencies and what his future will hold...I don't disagree one bit...and I don't even disagree that there was probably no market for him...

But you just can't let a former #7OA fizz out to nothing. He should have been moved when he was still a worth while project for some team.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I might take a vacation from these boards until October. The thoughtless negativity is too much to take. Hell, it’s mid summer and FA hasn’t even happened yet. Holtz fan boys have to understand it was a pick that didn’t work and he was a borderline sunk cost. I am quite confident he won’t work in Vegas.
Put it this way, if he scores 30 in Vegas and it’s the second offseason in a row we toss a young 30-goal guy in the trash, then Fitz and his development team should be fired for player mismanagement itself, forget the actual trade. Because there was no way he was coming close to that here.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You don't have to convince me about his deficiencies and what his future will hold...I don't disagree one bit...and I don't even disagree that there was probably no market for him...

But you just can't let a former #7OA fizz out to nothing. He should have been moved when he was still a worth while project for some team.

They reportedly tried to move him in the Timo trade and the Markstrom trade and both teams didn't want him.

I tend to agree with you, but if no one wants him then there isn't a whole lot that can be done

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

I would say Fitz has been trying for a year. I think his book was very much written after last season. Hell, he even had a good offseason last year. Too little too late. I’m happy to have moved on. Getting Silayev at 10 has more than made my weekend.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

Ty Smith played 20 minutes a game as a 20 year old rookie. Alex Holtz had minimal value.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
I think the devils got cotter to play in top 9 not on the 4th line but we will see what happens.

Devils could use two defenseman and one more forward. Hopefully they don’t give out too much term or bad contracts Monday.

I liked the deal Carolina did with orlov 2 years at high aav. Wonder if there is anyone devils could sign like that

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

As I said in an earlier post is that his value absolutely nosedived way quicker than most do. He went from being a high end prospect to much lower value in my opinion the second teams saw he couldn’t keep up. Since then Fitz has been trying but no one’s wanted him.

Reactions: JimEIV

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They reportedly tried to move him in the Timo trade and the Markstrom trade and both teams didn't want him.

I tend to agree with you, but if no one wants him then there isn't a whole lot that can be done
That plus there’s only so many times you can tell GM’s your former high pick is on the table before the red flags go up.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Put it this way, if he scores 30 in Vegas and it’s the second offseason in a row we toss a young 30-goal guy in the trash, then Fitz and his development team should be fired for player mismanagement itself, forget the actual trade. Because there was no way he was coming close to that here.
Depends, is it a 30 goal black hole everywhere else ala Michael Ryder or late in his career Petr Sykora? I don’t care, as long as NJ makes the playoffs and takes steps forward as a team.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad