Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
What I miss
IMG_5636.gif

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

Just a little bit of this and a little bit of that...... You know the typical day on HFB NJD.

Some specific views about a specific slovakian player playing in meaning(ful|less) Olympic qualifier games and kinda sorta getting hurt a bit and then some cultural generalizations and a bit of confetti thrown around at each other from a few regulars and also at some off boarder.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Just read Lanny MacDonald's response to the deaths of Johnny and Matthew. I'm not ashamed to admit it brought me to tears. We easily get more emotional as we age an this has touched me to the core. I didn't even know them, but I still mourn their loss. It was so senseless.

There's a hockey stick on my front porch. It's my little tribute added to the rest of the hockey world.

To me this is so much more important than a geopolitical argument over whether or not Simon should play for his country which is so emotionally important to him.

Last edited:

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I didn't even know them, but I still mourn their loss. It was so senseless.

It's a healthy perspective.

Although I'm a fair bit older than Johnny, we became parents at the same age. My children are now 7 and 5, and we've shared countless experiences. Still, I eagerly anticipate the new adventures we'll have together every day.

Senseless doesn't even begin to describe it. What these young men have been robbed of, my heart aches for them.

I've had a major reality check over this. RIP Johnny and Matthew.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I blame some of it on that poster who dive bombed the board to insult the Devils over the Nemec injury which sparked some tempers.
Sparked tempers? We are adults, I think. If a message board causes you to lose your temper then volunteer yourself to be suspended indefinitely. I don’t believe enough people, including myself, are using the report button.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Sparked tempers? We are adults, I think. If a message board causes you to lose your temper then volunteer yourself to be suspended indefinitely. I don’t believe enough people, including myself, are using the report button.
Let me get this straight. You expect people to behave like thoughtful adults here? This your first visit or something?

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

So Simon was questionnable for today but ended up not playing. Nothing broken or separated, no surgery apparently needed. The fact he was questionnable seems like a good sign. He goes back to NJ soon to rest up and get ready for the season. Seems like a best case scenario in the end! He has some time to rest.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Saw this going around the HF boards.

Underated = Elias
Overated = Lovejoy
Best = Brodeur
Worst = Grabner
Funniest = Lazar/Hamilton
Underappreciated = Elias
Most Potential = Luke Hughes
Biggest bust = Tedenby
Best Playmaker = Jack Hughes
Best Goalscorer = Kovalchuk
Best Defenseman = Stevens
Best Goalie = Brodeur
Best Penalty Killer= Hischier
Best shot blocker = Lazar
Best Coach = Lemaire
Best GM = Lamoriello

I'm sure there there are some Devils historians that could probably make a better one.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Underated = Elias
Overated = Lovejoy
Best = Brodeur
Worst = Grabner
Underappreciated = Elias
Biggest bust = Tedenby
Best Goalie = Brodeur
Best Coach = Lemaire
Best GM = Lamoriello

I'm sure there there are some Devils historians that could probably make a better one.

The only one I really disagree with is Hischier for PK.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK

Underated = Elias
Overated = Lovejoy
Best = Brodeur
Worst = Grabner
Underappreciated = Elias
Biggest bust = Tedenby
Best Goalie = Brodeur
Best Coach = Lemaire
Best GM = Lamoriello

Underated = Elias
Overated = Parise
Best = Brodeur
Worst = Andrew Peters
Funniest = Holik
Underappreciated = Brylin
Most Potential = Jack Hughes
Biggest bust = Rocky Trottier
Best Playmaker = Elias
Best Goalscorer = Maclean
Best Goalie = Brodeur
Best Penalty Killer= Madden
Best shot blocker = Pandolfo
Best Coach = Pat Burns
Best GM = Lamoriello

Camille the Eel

So Simon was questionnable for today but ended up not playing. Nothing broken or separated, no surgery apparently needed. The fact he was questionnable seems like a good sign. He goes back to NJ soon to rest up and get ready for the season. Seems like a best case scenario in the end! He has some time to rest.

More tests when he gets here probably means the nature, extent and range of outcomes from the injury remain unknown. In a way this isn’t the best news. I would have loved to hear he was cleared to play on Sunday. Now the big question mark but it’s serious enough to have knocked him out of the tournament and sent him back home for tests. Argh.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'll try my hand at this

Underrated = Holik
Overrated = Pandolfo
Best = Brodeur
Worst = Steve Thomas
Funniest = Gomez
Underappreciated = Brylin
Most Potential = Jack Hughes
Biggest bust = Neil Brady
Best Playmaker = Elias
Best Goalscorer = Maclean
Best Goalie = Brodeur
Best Penalty Killer= Madden
Best shot blocker = Colin White lol
Best Coach = Lemaire
Best GM = Lamoriello

Does underrated/overrated mean underrated/overrated around the league? or underrated/overrated by Devils fans? Elias wasn't underrated by Devils fans, but he certainly was underrated by other fans and media. I picked Holik, who came in first in an NHL.com article from December on the most underrated Devils of all time. Looking back on it, I think Gomez was kind of underrated also. Both guys jumped the river in their first crack at UFA. Both guys came back to end their careers here, even though Gomez played one more season between two teams after us.

Best coach is almost a dead heat between Lemaire and Burns.

I've said Madden is a bit overrated or at least was at one point and he didn't have as many years as a defensive stalwart as people think he did, but he was definitely the best penalty killer IMO.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I was this close to putting Colin White for shot blocker too @Bleedred. Pando was pretty overrated, but man that boy could block a shot.

Neil Brady is a good shout, I just felt Trottier has more oomph of f**ked up-edness.
I've said a lot that Pandolfo was pretty overrated here. He was nothing of a shutdown guy without Madden and when Madden stopped being good at being a shut down guy, Pandolfo became absolutely useless at everything NHL hockey. Madden was still a useful bottom 6 guy and even had the 20 goal season (with like a double than average shooting percentage) here in 07-08 in his second to last year here, but he was done being a defensive shutdown guy at even strength (Still a good penalty killer) by some point in 06-07.

There was one poster that hated when I wouldn't praise Pandolfo.

So a team with the likes of Brodeur, Stevens, Niedermayer, several other good defenseman and really good defensive forwards wasn't enough to stifle other teams offense without Jay Pandolfo back there to complete the puzzle? Really?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Am I crazy for thinking Andy Greene is being slept on for shot blocker?
I thought of him too, but he wasn't really a shot blocker until the last handful or half dozen years of his career.

I could be off by a year or so, I don't have those stats in front of me. But I remember his shot blocking going up SIGNIFICANTLY starting with either the 14-15 or 15-16 season.

It felt like he became a prominent shot blocker later in his career, when he was starting to decline and still playing top pair minutes.

Reactions: My3Sons and Forge

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Do defensemen count for penalty killers?

If not, should Parise count since he was the best PK forward on the record breaking team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad