Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Here is the full question / answer from Eric Duhatschek's mailbag specifically regarding the devils:

To Calgary: Alex Holtz, Akira Schmid, Seamus Casey and a 2025 conditional second-round pick (upgrades to a first-round pick if the Devils make the second round of the playoffs in 2025)

To New Jersey: Jacob Markström (50 percent retained), Andrei Kuzmenko and a 2025 third-round pick.

— Chris G.

Calgary trades Markström to San Jose for pick No. 14

San Jose trades Markström plus a second-round pick to New Jersey for pick No. 10.

— Steve S.

To New Jersey: Jacob Markström and a 2025 fifth-round pick

To Calgary: Alex Holtz, Jonas Seigenthaler (modified no-trade clause doesn’t kick in until July 1 this year) and a 2025 second-round pick (via Winnipeg)

— Ryan H.

The first and third proposals are in the ballpark as reasonable value for Markström, but as framed here, both teams say no. Proposal two — tweaked to eliminate San Jose as an unnecessary third party — probably is the framework for getting a New Jersey-Calgary trade for Markström done.

Many readers believe that the Devils and Flames can, will and should revisit the talks they had earlier this spring, which would have seen Markström waive his full no-move clause to join New Jersey before the 2024 trade deadline.

The Devils need an upgrade in goal, and reader Domenick P., who is pitching a different deal that would bring Juuse Saros to New Jersey from Nashville, made a good point on behalf of their supporters: As a Devils fan, he suggested it would be hard to endure another year with subpar goaltending. My understanding is that the original talks stalled because Calgary was holding out for Dawson Mercer, whom the Devils weren’t prepared to trade. New Jersey would almost certainly have moved Holtz, but Calgary’s greater long-term need is at center, not the wing.

If neither side budges off its previously held position, the best way to get it unstuck is for the Devils to offer their first-rounder, the No. 10 pick, for Markström. It could be as simple as that. That wouldn’t require San Jose to be an intermediary in the deal. I believe Calgary will at some point trade Kuzmenko to a team looking for scoring help, but that might be a 2025 deadline deal instead of in the offseason.

But the first proposal is interesting because it includes Holtz, and Casey as a sweetener, and also holds out the promise of a future first-round draft choice if the Devils prosper with Markström in net. If offered, the Flames would have to seriously consider it.

Nashville trades Juuse Saros, contingent on him signing a contract extension in New Jersey, for either Seamus Casey and the Devils’ 2024 first-rounder (No. 10), or Dawson Mercer and the Jets’ 2024 third-rounder. — Domenick P.

If New Jersey was unwilling to give up Mercer in a deal for Markström, it’s unlikely they would be willing to trade him to Nashville for Saros, either. Casey and the 10th pick feels like an overpay, even for a goalie of Saros’s pedigree. The Predators, a team in a soft rebuild and stocking assets for the future, would have to consider it. A lot depends on Saros, though, too. Nashville is trying to sign him to an extension, and Saros has indicated publicly he doesn’t want to leave. If both sides are to be believed, then Nashville may ultimately keep Saros and move on from prospect Yaroslav Askarov instead. That’s an internal organizational decision; we’ll have to see how it plays out.

The Devils trade Jesper Bratt, John Marino and the 10th pick to Ottawa for Brady Tkachuk and Jakob Chychrun. — Eric K.

Ottawa says no to both – and realistically, to any offer that comes their way for Tkachuk, no matter how attractive they might seem on paper. Proposal No. 2 has zero chance of succeeding. Sure, the Devils would do it in a heartbeat, even if it doesn’t address their immediate needs for help in goal. But why would Ottawa trade their heart-and-soul captain for a skilled but small forward (Bratt), a serviceable defenseman (Marino) and another draft pick? It makes no sense for where they are organizationally. They need to start turning the corner soon. I can’t see any scenario under which they trade Tkachuk unless Tkachuk wants out.

The sense I get from talking to people around the league is that, yes, he’s getting frustrated by the team’s lack of success and has made that frustration known to the powers that be. But that’s not the same as asking out.

He’s a winner – like his brother Matthew. You do everything you can to hold on to players who bring that “it factor” to the mix. From the Ottawa side, Tkachuk is arguably their single most important building block. He’s signed for four more years at $8.2 million. I get why St. Louis – the organization and its fan base – would want to bring Tkachuk home. I don’t see how Kyrou, or any number of draft choices, gets it done. It’s wishful thinking, at this stage anyway.

Bruins trade Ullmark to New Jersey for a 2024 first-round pick. Simple and straightforward – Jeremy Swayman is clearly the Bruins’ 1A goalie going forward, but with no farm system, an early first could help them in that department and the Devils get a good goalie in return. Win-Win. — John S.

I think both sides would do it, but because I also believe Calgary would trade Markström to the Devils for that pick as well, it would then be up to New Jersey to decide who they like better – Markström or Ullmark.

Markström is older and more expensive but probably is better suited to play as a true No. 1, whereas Ullmark likely would top out at 50 games. But with Jake Allen now in the fold in New Jersey as a backup, maybe that’s good enough. This could work.

Absolutely wild to me that nhl writers truly believe that a top 10 pick this year would be on the table given that there's like 0 history of this happening for goalies in general, but especially for goalies (and skaters) of this age.

Just about team that has ever traded for a starting goalie has been desperate for a goalie. Hasn't changed the deals.

Varlamov was like 23 when he got pick 11 + a second. Schneider was 27 with excellent numbers.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i don't want markstrom
To Calgary: Alex Holtz, Akira Schmid, Seamus Casey and a 2025 conditional second-round pick (upgrades to a first-round pick if the Devils make the second round of the playoffs in 2025)

To New Jersey: Jacob Markström (50 percent retained), Andrei Kuzmenko and a 2025 third-round pick.

I like that trade i stumbled on ...

Yes or no?
swap kuz for coleman, swap casey for orlov and i'd accept. calgary hangs up immediately.

i just don't see the flames as a good trading partner. and i really don't want markstrom.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Markstrom had a bad second half of the season last year. He also had a bad year the year prior. A lot of his value during the trade deadline was because of the hot start he had to the season, but he cooled of after the deadline. He also has an NTC. Absolute best return I can see him have is a late 1st rounder.

Reactions: CalamityX23

amikaro

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2015
thanks for feedbacks. i d rather see Saros coming to NJ than Markström. But is it realistic?

And if not Saros? Should they go for another one? In that case I saw Kuzi as a part of the risk in speeding up and trying to compete asap.

I'm happy to see the praise and hope on Casey. Wasn't aware, he's developing that well. I see where the No's come from :)

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
if people dont want to pay the ask for markstrom then i really doubt they will want to pay the ask then give the contract that saros wants esp with how age is looked at on here. markstrom should be the target it buys the team a little bit of time until something else opens up or a prospect comes along and becomes a better trade chip and the devils can walk away from him in two years.

i'm figuring that sheldon can get this team to where they were two years ago and markstrom allen should at minimum give them the same average goaltending they got two years ago. which is perfect for the window and then say in two years time holtz is game is turned around and has more value look to ship him off for a legit better goalie

that doesnt mean im down to trade holtz or casey for him the flames had their chance and balked last year plus he has a nmc and now one less playoff run in his contract but who knows what other teams are going to be bidding if any

Last edited:

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Here is the full question / answer from Eric Duhatschek's mailbag specifically regarding the devils:

— Chris G.

Calgary trades Markström to San Jose for pick No. 14

San Jose trades Markström plus a second-round pick to New Jersey for pick No. 10.

— Steve S.

To New Jersey: Jacob Markström and a 2025 fifth-round pick

To Calgary: Alex Holtz, Jonas Seigenthaler (modified no-trade clause doesn’t kick in until July 1 this year) and a 2025 second-round pick (via Winnipeg)

— Ryan H.

The first and third proposals are in the ballpark as reasonable value for Markström, but as framed here, both teams say no. Proposal two — tweaked to eliminate San Jose as an unnecessary third party — probably is the framework for getting a New Jersey-Calgary trade for Markström done.

Many readers believe that the Devils and Flames can, will and should revisit the talks they had earlier this spring, which would have seen Markström waive his full no-move clause to join New Jersey before the 2024 trade deadline.

The Devils need an upgrade in goal, and reader Domenick P., who is pitching a different deal that would bring Juuse Saros to New Jersey from Nashville, made a good point on behalf of their supporters: As a Devils fan, he suggested it would be hard to endure another year with subpar goaltending. My understanding is that the original talks stalled because Calgary was holding out for Dawson Mercer, whom the Devils weren’t prepared to trade. New Jersey would almost certainly have moved Holtz, but Calgary’s greater long-term need is at center, not the wing.

If neither side budges off its previously held position, the best way to get it unstuck is for the Devils to offer their first-rounder, the No. 10 pick, for Markström. It could be as simple as that. That
When the hell did Markström become the second coming of Dominick Hasek?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
thanks for feedbacks. i d rather see Saros coming to NJ than Markström. But is it realistic?

And if not Saros? Should they go for another one? In that case I saw Kuzi as a part of the risk in speeding up and trying to compete asap.

I'm happy to see the praise and hope on Casey. Wasn't aware, he's developing that well. I see where the No's come from :)

I don't think it's realistic. I don't think Trotz is really looking to trade him to begin with unless a team blows his door down, and that price is probably way too high and that's before you get into what his new contract will cost.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think he's already showed his hand in that regard. He can certainly be patient, but he's going to make noise

Also too many holes to sit perfectly patient and wr don't have the pieces in house when it comes to the goalie position.

Going into the season with Schimd/Allen could legitimately cost Fitz his job next offseason.

He simply isn't in a position where he can afford to have goaltending sink yet another season, it's happened too many times under his watch already.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
Does anyone think we should go after Markstrom and maybe offer up either the 1st or Casey or even both? Haven't read the thread yet, just trying to see where people stand on that.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Remove Casey from the deal and keep everything else the same and we might do that. Otherwise the value seems too high from our side.

I also don't think Casey is going anywhere soon, given that he was just signed to his ELC after having two excellent seasons at Michigan.

I would maybe take Casey out and do a 2024 1st round swap and change the condition to the ECF for the 2025 pick.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I'd rather re-sign Kahkonen than give up anything of serious value for Markstrom. If we can get him for like a 3rd or something, fine whatever. But the dude is old and is kinda mid. We can just re-sign Kahkonen for no assets and have a mid goalie.
i'm not saying kahkonen is or isnt the guy but fitz can't risk this season with a mid goalie or hes out of a job.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Everybody who wants to through 10OA for Saros, Ullmark or Markstrom, please, call me. I have beautiful bicycle to change for your house. Its old too. I believe you like vintage so much.
I like old shit. But mostly old fishing rods and reels.

Reactions: Guadana
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad