Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He was just something else entirely. Put up a lot of points pre-NJ showing his offensive potential, and then became the scariest thing on 2 legs in the NHL.
He still holds our assist record. Pretty amazing when you think of the Scott Gomez, Patrk Elias, Jack Hughes or even Arnott or Bratt's of the world. Niedermayer is such a distant second to what Stevens could do it's not even fathomable to the new age fan.

Stevens was amazing. A God.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Grandad's old bamboo rod is something very special to me. When I get home I'll take some pictures of it for you.... I might not sell my soul for it, but it is pretty special to me.

I wouldn't trade it for any goalie ;)
;)

I have same feelings for airplane models my dad and my granddad did in their time together. With time I like this models much more than I did by my own.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Guys, I know this team has a myriad of issues. Absolutely no denial here on that.

But for me, it's like a tier list. Coaching and goaltending were my number one concerns this offeason. Fitz has addressed one already, quite well in my opinion. Let's see how it goes with a goalie, it won't be cheap that's for sure.

Defensive ability is third on my list. I believe we now have a coach that can execute on that. Ruff and Green, the chuckle brothers, were useless at this aspect. Piss poor in fact. Look at the roster Keefe had in Toronto, then look at ours. It's hard not to at least believe that they will vastly improve on the backend.

Softness, bleh. We can talk about this until we're blue in the face. My personal belief is that Ruff and co had this team play weak. You won't change my mind on this, so don't bother.

But this idea that the team should not spend on a decent starter, is crazy to me. A true starter can strengthen the entire spine of your team.

Build from the net out.
There's a difference between not willing to spend on goalie and not allowing yourself to be fleeced for a goalie. If teams are asking for insane prices on goalies due to high demand then the Devils should pivot and focus on building an elite skater group to offset the issues in net.

The Avalanche won a stanely cup two years ago going 16-4 with a Save percentage of .903%. The Golden Knights won the Stanely cup last year with a goalie they acquired for a 4th round pick that offseason (Adin Hill). The Edmonton Oilers are currently in the Western Conference finals with a duo of Skinner and Pickard. There's plenty of ways to build a championship caliber roster that doesn't involve pouring assets into a goaltender.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Arvidsson looks to be headed to UFA. He's a good forechecker, shows tenacity, and could pair with Nico to shutdown lines late in games.
1716604290984.jpeg

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Grandad's old bamboo rod is something very special to me. When I get home I'll take some pictures of it for you.... I might not sell my soul for it, but it is pretty special to me.

I wouldn't trade it for any goalie ;)

i took my deda's pocket watch from his casket before it was closed. and no, i'm not trading it.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
i'm not saying kahkonen is or isnt the guy but fitz can't risk this season with a mid goalie or hes out of a job.

I'd agree with that, for sure. I just don't see Markstrom (At this point in his career and his recent play) as that big of an upgrade over Kahk - let alone for some of the prices being bandied about. I'd spend on a good (or great goalie), but that's not Markstrom.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
I think Markstrom definitely qualifies as "big game hunting", tbh. At least when you adjust for the fact that the real "big game" isn't actually going to go anywhere (Igor, Sorokin, Helle, etc etc etc).

Markstrom and Ullmark are the headliners, imo.

I still have interest in Gustavsson though, ngl. There's risk involved, but I'm not sure the risk is any worse than Markstrom falling apart at his age. Given that I don't think he'll cost a ton, there's some really nice value upside potentially.

Ullmark is the least "risky", if you know what you're doing with him. Bottom line is he's a 50% starter and you probably have to continue that into the playoffs. But for the games he'll start, he'll likely be consistently the best out of the guys they could acquire. But again, you're alternating games and by the times the playoffs roll around, he could gas...so you're going to be reliant on Jake Allen in the post season
So we're trading for, and probably signing, Ullmark and relying on Allen in the playoffs?

If we're throwing Boston a 4th and paying him $4M for 3 more years, I'm in. Otherwise NOPE!

I'm with you - Everything else is a better option.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
So we're trading for, and probably signing, Ullmark and relying on Allen in the playoffs?

If we're throwing Boston a 4th and paying him $4M for 3 more years, I'm in. Otherwise NOPE!

I'm with you - Everything else is a better option.

I think in that situation we’d probably run Ullmark and Allen as a tandem for most of the season, then ride Ullmark in the playoffs.

No way we’re going anywhere with Allen as the starter in the playoffs.

BostonDevil

Jun 28, 2019
I think in that situation we’d probably run Ullmark and Allen as a tandem for most of the season, then ride Ullmark in the playoffs.

No way we’re going anywhere with Allen as the starter in the playoffs.
I agree - Which is why I want no part of Ullmark. I'd rather keep Allen and Schmid if that was the case. If we're giving up assets like the #10 pick or Mercer or both or anything of value AND THEN have to extend Ullmark for 4-6 years at around 6M-8M AND THEN need to split time and hope doesn't poop himself in the playoffs all while he's sad he isn't in Boston anymore? I don't get it. Let Toronto or Ottawa do that.

Pay way less for Markstrom, no need to extend, and see where you are in 2 years.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Brossoit and Allen sounds like yet another disaster tandem that will keep us out of the playoffs.

They’ll go for someone bigger than that.
I’m not confident Markstrom is any more reliable at this point. There are a handful of top goalies and none of them are going to be moved. Saros and Markstrom have both seen better days. Not sure if NJ should be getting fleeced for either of them.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
If the Devils spend another year with mediocre goaltending, Fitzgerald likely loses his job. He tried to bank on VV/Daws/Schmid being able to be a serviceable trio and we saw how that went.

I can’t see any way he doesn’t leave this off-season without a bonafide experienced starter. Someone he can count on to give at least 50 or so games with Allen/Schmid/Daws filling in the rest.

Have a feeling he’s going to end up overpaying to save his job, but in all honesty, this is one of the few situations where it’ll make sense to lose a trade if we fulfill a need.

Reactions: Forge and Bleedred

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
If the Devils spend another year with mediocre goaltending, Fitzgerald likely loses his job. He tried to bank on VV/Daws/Schmid being able to be a serviceable trio and we saw how that went.

I can’t see any way he doesn’t leave this off-season without a bonafide experienced starter. Someone he can count on to give at least 50 or so games with Allen/Schmid/Daws filling in the rest.

Have a feeling he’s going to end up overpaying to save his job, but in all honesty, this is one of the few situations where it’ll make sense to lose a trade if we fulfill a need.
Did he bank on this or were teams holding onto their goaltenders last summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad