Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
League average SV% is 90.7%
Blackwood has 9 G with 90.7%+, 6 W, 3 OT\SO
Bernier has 4 G, 3 W, 1L (Blackwood missed 3goals in that game and was replaced by Bernier, now I will use only full or close to full games)
Gillies has 6 G, 1W, 3L, 2 OT\SO
Hammond has 2G, 1 W, 1 L
Daws has 10 G, 8 W, 2L
Wedgewood has 1 L
Schmid didn`t play any game with SV% above 90%

I think it`s not perfect, I could make some mistake, but we can see something interesting here. Draw your own conclusions.
So 20-15-2? If that’s accurate that’s roughly a 93-94 points pace? If NJ was anything close to that this year the narrative around thr team would be much different. Obviously the team defense is worthy of criticism but the goalie injuries and subpar play certainly look to the the place to start the offseason.
Post automatically merged:

Comparing the Mets situation with the Devils situation is just completely lazy. The Mets are a veteran team that lacked leadership and discipline and needed a veteran manager. The Devils are a young and inexperienced team that needs to grow and learn how to win.
That was my point about the Pelicans. Google Willie Green and the Pelicans turnaround this season. I’m sure there are other models but VAN and MTL bouncing with new coaches aren’t as close as the Pels are in my view. The Pels were missing their best player and playing multiple rookies in big minutes. The right coach and the right veteran added and they didn’t look back.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I mean, just look at Blackwood and Daws records. Both in the lower .890's% and yet they still were just one game under NHL .500

Just imagine some of those close games where they let in a bunch of cheap goals. You only have to go back about 24 hours to remember one where that was exactly what happened.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think that it's that far out of the realm of possibilities
Torts or any big name coach is definitely out of the realm of possibility unless and until they decide to cede some of the ‘collaborative’ authority and say to whatever head coach they hire. That’s why we were never seriously considered by Gallant and Lavi the last cycle.

Reactions: Darkauron

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I mean, just look at Blackwood and Daws records. Both in the lower .890's% and yet they still were just one game under NHL .500

Just imagine some of those close games where they let in a bunch of cheap goals. You only have to go back about 24 hours to remember one where that was exactly what happened.
In your opinion what's the answer in goal? Is there a young backup you like? Or one of the free agents next year?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Maybe I'm wrong but certainly feels like a generational divide in the team's fanbase. Brooks article just encapsulates it, conveniently providing no context for why things might be the way they are and making no mention of the salary cap - which is very similar to what gets said here.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Torts or any big name coach is definitely out of the realm of possibility unless and until they decide to cede some of the ‘collaborative’ authority and say to whatever head coach they hire. That’s why we were never seriously considered by Gallant and Lavi the last cycle.
If that's true it's sad Torts is a proven winner...Would be great to see how he handles Zacha....

• Wow
Reactions: Bleedred

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Comparing the Mets situation with the Devils situation is just completely lazy. The Mets are a veteran team that lacked leadership and discipline and needed a veteran manager. The Devils are a young and inexperienced team that needs to grow and learn how to win.
I know Buck is with the Mets now, but Showalter’s history is taking young teams (Yankees, Dback, Orioles) and getting them in a position to compete. The organization could very well use a hockey version of an hard ass like that.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
6ehd0h.jpg

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Maybe I'm wrong but certainly feels like a generational divide in the team's fanbase. Brooks article just encapsulates it, conveniently providing no context for why things might be the way they are and making no mention of the salary cap - which is very similar to what gets said here.
It's also a NY-area sports writer classic: drawing parallels with another local team that don't actually exist because otherwise you'd have to actually do real analysis and work on looking into who's even on the roster of each team, which I'm convinced most of them haven't. The problem is even more pronounced with hockey, the sport the local media couldn't begin to care less about.

Reactions: Oneiro

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It’s a bad thing for a contender to try to make win now moves at the deadline? This place is hot stuff, it’s the same thing Lou did for a thousand years though I realize it’s been a long time since we’ve had legit contender deadline moves so people might forget the cost of doing business, or the fact sometimes win now moves actually work.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
In your opinion what's the answer in goal? Is there a young backup you like? Or one of the free agents next year?
I'm not sure who is available, but I'm kind of warm to the Hellebuyck idea, but I doubt they want to get rid of him? I feel like they're gonna try and compete again next year with a new coach.

All I know is that Blackwood cannot be relied upon. The chances of him either being too hurt to consistently stay out on the ice or to perform well if he can stay is on the ice is just really low for me. I'm at the point where I give it a 60% chance that he's never good again. At least not consistently (maybe he'll have a good year or two if he has quite a few years left in the league) and the chances of him doing as a starter I think are higher than 60% that he won't be good again. Yes, that's higher than Cory, who I probably gave a 90% chance of never being good again by about this point in 2019.

We're really in a jam if Blackwood does have a good season next year. And as we've seen with Anton Forsberg in Ottawa, all it takes is one good (And a fluky one too) year and a goalie is getting a 3 year deal. Yes, I know our management doesn't appear to be nearly as f***ed as Ottawa's, but it's a scary situation we're in if he does have a good year because then we won't know if it's just one-off return to his pre-injury/covid/Melanson days or if he's fixed for good. And no matter how good he is next year, he'd probably need to have at least a Vezina finalist season to justify getting a raise from this deal, with how badly the first two years went.

One goalie that I think I wouldn't mind here, if not for what happened this year is Robin Lehner. I think he only has 2 years left on his deal.

But what happened this year was he was in and out of the lineup with injuries. He was injured so badly that Vegas was bringing Marc-Andre Fleury back at the trade deadline, then he wasn't. Then his kneecap is broken, but he says it isn't. Then he's out long term again, but then he's back 2 weeks later, then he sits out another week again and he's back. Then it comes out he's done for the season, DeBoer says he's not. Then it comes out that he didn't like DeBoer criticizing his play while he was playing injured and he requested to be shut down.

He still performed dead league average with all those injuries. I think Vegas would love to get rid of him and maybe sign Husso or something and roll the dice with a Husso/Thompson tandem for next year. We see how quickly they move guys in and out.

But Lehner is really too good of a candidate to find his way to the glue factory with Crawford and Bernier or constantly sitting in the waiting room at the doctors offices with Blackwood and Bernier.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
Personally I would welcome Torts with open arms. I think he is exactly what this team needs. Our team makes tons of DUMB mistakes that they need to get coached out of. He's also a coach who refuses to lose. He brings structure which is something we desperately need. A dude with a voice who refuses to back down. The complete opposite of a lame duck coach. Hate his personality or love it, he gets results. Only players like Zacha & Ty Smith wouldn't get along with him & thats okay with my book. We have alot of players who are willing to work like dogs (Hughes, Nico, Mercer etc) these players will thrive under him.

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
I know Buck is with the Mets now, but Showalter’s history is taking young teams (Yankees, Dback, Orioles) and getting them in a position to compete. The organization could very well use a hockey version of an hard ass like that.
You're right about that but I was only speaking on why the Mets hired Buck considering their team situation. I'm not totally sure who that coach would be for the Devils. I would love to find that kind of coach but Ruff needs to be fired first for this to even be a conversation.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Does anyone even know when break up day even is? Once again. We don’t have beat writers to tell us that what day it’s going to be on.

I’m sure Shayna will be too busy hanging out at Rangers practice whatever day it is.

Reactions: mdj12784
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad