Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I know people want to s*** on the Stillman pick, and I wouldn’t have made the pick because it was clear he didn’t have upside; however, if he becomes a guy who plays 200-300 games (sort of like Bastian) it’s a pretty good outcome based on where the pick was. Especially considering it was in the Covid year

Reactions: Better Call Sal

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I know people want to s*** on the Stillman pick, and I wouldn’t have made the pick because it was clear he didn’t have upside; however, if he becomes a guy who plays 200-300 games (sort of like Bastian) it’s a pretty good outcome based on where the pick was. Especially considering it was in the Covid year
It is what it is. He had a decent rookie season in the AHL and has looked good in the prospects games so far. He still has upside to carve out as a bottom 6 player.

Better than nothing and they can be useful when they are on such cheap deals.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Definitely should have taken some swings, but if he becomes an energy 4th liner that is relatively effective, then it is what it is. Still TBD if that is the case.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I'm surprised Leblanc is only 28 years old. He should be still in his prime.

Sounds like he is a Holtz like player. Has skills on power play. Could be useful at even strength if paired with the right players but defensively he is poor.

I like the tryout contract. We are lacking right shot forwards. I wouldn't mind signing him as depth. Even if he does get waived and doesnt make the opening day lineup.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Stillman was a very bad pick and he will be forever. It’s good that he at least can become a depth player. He needs to develop positional vision but if he will - he will have a chance.

Reactions: My3Sons

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Stillman was a very bad pick and he will be forever. It’s good that he at least can become a depth player. He needs to develop positional vision but if he will - he will have a chance.

One of our worst picks ever for sure. He's not an NHL player imo and I don't think he ever will be.

Reactions: Guadana

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
It's weird that so many people are willing to call Stillman a horrible pick but not McLeod....In my view, it's virtually the same type of pick with slightly varying level of magnitude in draft position and talent.

Reactions: Mgd31

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's weird that so many people are willing to call Stillman a horrible pick but not McLeod....In my view, it's virtually the same type of pick with slightly varying level of magnitude in draft position and talent.

Mikey at least always had that speed. He wasn't a great pick and I remember several folks on here calling it out as a bad pick on draft day. But at least he had one NHL element. Stillman has nothing.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ

Lineup with numbers:

1726495529577.png

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Holt and Smith are probably worse though?

Smith sure. McLeod didn’t start to look like anything more than an average 4th liner until 7 years after he was drafted. Holtz still has another 3 years until that. Holtz also showed last year that he can be an offensive producer

Reactions: TheUnseenHand

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Mikey at least always had that speed. He wasn't a great pick and I remember several folks on here calling it out as a bad pick on draft day. But at least he had one NHL element. Stillman has nothing.
Speed and I would add his face off attribute was one of his best qualities also...he definitely added energy to the team but is that what you want from a relatively high first round pick?

Measured against the 11th pick in the 2016 draft. McAvoy, Chychrun still on the board?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Smith sure. McLeod didn’t start to look like anything more than an average 4th liner until 7 years after he was drafted. Holtz still has another 3 years until that. Holtz also showed last year that he can be an offensive producer
I agree Holtz still has time to prove that he belongs in the NHL...where we might differ though is what he has proven up to this point...I honestly don't believe Holtz has shown much of anything. His game is too incomplete for a few goals here and there to mean anything.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I agree Holtz still has time to prove that he belongs in the NHL...where we might differ though is what he has proven up to this point...I honestly don't believe Holtz has shown much of anything. His game is too incomplete for a few goals here and there to mean anything.

He had practically the same scoring rates as Toffoli last year. Holtz was always drafted to be a complimentary offensive player to the stars yet they never ever gave him a shot with them even when he showed he can be productive. Honestly the worst part about the pick is they picked him knowing what his faults were and then never giving him a chance because of those faults.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad