Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 training camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I get holding Luke out but I am selfish/impatient and wanted to see him play. Very not cool.
Me too especially considering I waited until yesterday for them to announce it and he was the sole reason I was going. Well too bad I bought NON CANCELATION hotel. Unprofessional of a team to tell their fans he is going that close to the tournament and then the next day retract it.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Eh, sadly this is not true. Because referees calling penalties is so influenced by the score, whether or not the team is at home, and how many penalties they've already called in the game, almost all of what Hughes and Hischier manage to do drawing penalties goes back to the other team.

Yeah, I basically ignore penalty differentials, because whatever is drawn by Hughes or Hischier is just going to get called against McLeod, Bastian, or Hamilton.

Guys who know, accept and excel in their role, no matter their role, are absolute assets. We have no idea how good if at all he'll be, but guys buying into what the team needs from them is what wins games.

I also gained weight this summer in anticipation of a third or fourth line role.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Luke playing in the prospects challenge wouldn't have been any fun, it would either be he must dominate (and if he did it would have only been expected) or there'd be endless back and forth here about how he isn't ready or shouldn't have a spot locked up if he doesn't dominate. He already played two years at a big-time college and important minutes in the NHL playoffs, let him have a non-extended preseason - barring injury he's already gonna be playing far more games this year than in his college career by a mile anyway.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Me too especially considering I waited until yesterday for them to announce it and he was the sole reason I was going. Well too bad I bought NON CANCELATION hotel. Unprofessional of a team to tell their fans he is going that close to the tournament and then the next day retract it.
I do wonder what was behind the last-minute switcheroo, that was weird. I don't think they intentionally wanted to screw the fans by using his name to sell a few extra tickets for a day but evidently someone got their way about not wanting Luke to play in the tournament, and tbh I'm fine with it for reasons stated above. It's too bad for you but tbh it's not like we don't have other prospects worth watching (Nemec, etc al) and there won't be other opportunities to see Luke in Newark pretty soon.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
In theory the penalty differential stat is pretty cool and nice, but as mentioned above we all know that game management is a thing and plays more into penalties than any other factor.

That being said, I think it's certainly worth pointing out how disciplined our top forwards are. Hughes, Hischier, and Bratt combined for 11 minors last season which is 4.5% of the team's minors. We had the 4th fewest minors and 4th fewest total PIMs in the league last year.

We were also the only team in the league to be both bottom-5 in minors taken AND top-5 in PK%.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I do wonder what was behind the last-minute switcheroo, that was weird. I don't think they intentionally wanted to screw the fans by using his name to sell a few extra tickets for a day but evidently someone got their way about not wanting Luke to play in the tournament, and tbh I'm fine with it for reasons stated above. It's too bad for you but tbh it's not like we don't have other prospects worth watching (Nemec, etc al) and there won't be other opportunities to see Luke in Newark pretty soon.
I agree but this is the second time they’ve screwed over fans at the tournament. And I’ve already seen Nemec play last year. As essentially the main reason I was going was because I wanted to see Luke Hughes. By the time the roster was announced the Saturday night game was already sold out against Buffalo. I live in Toronto and the first game is on a Friday at noon. Vacation days need to be booked and can’t be cancelled. Hotels aren’t cheap on a Friday night.
I’m pretty sure they didn’t do it purpose But sometimes they need to consider the fans and their schedules when they change things up like that.
It’s unprofessional to announce that he’s playing and I retract the next day.
The samilar happened with Jack Hughes. They sat him for the Saturday game I played him the Monday and Friday game. Well the devil fans that go to those games aren’t from Buffalo and generally have to travel for hours in order to see the game. It’s easier to go on a Saturday for most fans. I Family drove in that day from Binghamton only to be disappointed that Jack Hughes wasn’t playing on the Saturday. It was about seven or eight of us that were extremely frustrated that the only day that the majority of people can go is the day that you sit The best Prospect in the history of your franchise. I get they have Priorities maybe some consideration for the fans you want to come and see the people that paid her paycheques should be looked at.
I sent an email to the team explaining what happened and just wanting them to give people notice and maybe let the fans know which players are playing which games with some reasonable notice.
Frustrating. So now it is costing me hundreds of dollars in order to go maybe see Nemec agian when I already did that last year. I don’t live in NJ and don’t get access to see those players unless I wan a pay a weeeks salary in Toronto.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I agree but this is the second time they’ve screwed over fans at the tournament. And I’ve already seen Nemec play last year. As essentially the main reason I was going was because I wanted to see Luke Hughes. By the time the roster was announced the Saturday night game was already sold out against Buffalo. I live in Toronto and the first game is on a Friday at noon. Vacation days need to be booked and can’t be cancelled. Hotels aren’t cheap on a Friday night.
I’m pretty sure they didn’t do it purpose But sometimes they need to consider the fans and their schedules when they change things up like that.
It’s unprofessional to announce that he’s playing and I retract the next day.
The samilar happened with Jack Hughes. They sat him for the Saturday game I played him the Monday and Friday game. Well the devil fans that go to those games aren’t from Buffalo and generally have to travel for hours in order to see the game. It’s easier to go on a Saturday for most fans. I Family drove in that day from Binghamton only to be disappointed that Jack Hughes wasn’t playing on the Saturday. It was about seven or eight of us that were extremely frustrated that the only day that the majority of people can go is the day that you sit The best Prospect in the history of your franchise. I get they have Priorities maybe some consideration for the fans you want to come and see the people that paid her paycheques should be looked at.
I sent an email to the team explaining what happened and just wanting them to give people notice and maybe let the fans know which players are playing which games with some reasonable notice.
Frustrating. So now it is costing me hundreds of dollars in order to go maybe see Nemec agian when I already did that last year. I don’t live in NJ and don’t get access to see those players unless I wan a pay a weeeks salary in Toronto.
I get what you are saying and why you are upset, but the marketing department and the coaching staff don't work together. I'm not saying that in a snarky way, I'm just saying the coaching staff are juggling enough balls trying to do what best for the team and with that, every player on an individual basis. Asking them to now start taking marketing into account would only hinder them.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I get what you are saying and why you are upset, but the marketing department and the coaching staff don't work together. I'm not saying that in a snarky way, I'm just saying the coaching staff are juggling enough balls trying to do what best for the team and with that, every player on an individual basis. Asking them to now start taking marketing into account would only hinder them.
I for sure. I understand but if this is a tournament that is going to get fans involved who have to sometimes spend lots of money in order to attend it maybe consider them a little more. Now if this was a first I would understand. But I complained about it four years ago when it happened to me and asked them to consider the fans. And boom. Inconsiderate. Sitting Hughes for a random game in the tournament and being unlucky is understandable. Waiting until days before the tournament to say a stern prospect is playing when they know that people are waiting for the roster and then change your mind the next day is unprofessional

Reactions: My3Sons

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I actually dig Nemec in 17. Looks cool and we need a bonafide stud to take over that #17 for the foreseeable future. The Ryders and Sharangovichs didnt cut it. #17 is the best looking number on a hockey jersey IMO

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
You were warned this was a possibility when you asked about it the first time. It isn't a huge surprise either way - it wouldn't've surprised me if they had him play one game up there, and it doesn't surprise me that they're not. It f***ing sucks, but if I were dead set on seeing Luke Hughes, I wouldn't've gone to that tournament.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The rookie tournament is kind of meaningless IMO.

But I definitely understand for those attending in person that they'd rather see someone like Luke Hughes and other bigger rookie names.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
No Kallgren. Kallgren is terrible at the NHL level. He’s not good enough to backup anybody up here. Why not just leave Schmid up to backup Hellebuyck in that case?
because i read the goal is for Schmid to get a heavy workload in the AHL for this year while Hellebuyck leads the way (if we are looking to acquire a goalie for a Cup run this year)

then go back to Schmid for a starters load the following year

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
You were warned this was a possibility when you asked about it the first time. It isn't a huge surprise either way - it wouldn't've surprised me if they had him play one game up there, and it doesn't surprise me that they're not. It f***ing sucks, but if I were dead set on seeing Luke Hughes, I wouldn't've gone to that tournament.
I wasn't warned that they would make a roster announcement and retract it.
I asked int the forum I didn't want to spend the money if Luke wasn't going to be there and although other teams had realsed their schedule NJ hadn't yet and was told that tey are normally late doing so.

That was why I never did anything until the team "announced" he was playing. Had they announced it weeks prior and then changed thier mind prior to the I would still be upset but would be more understandable. Waiting for them to get their roster set and ducks in a row until the last minute and change their decision when they know that fans are wiating for that schedule is unacceptable.

and yes it sucks but if I was dead set on seeing Luke Hughes there is nothign wrong with going to the tournametn when the team "literally" announces he is playing.

I was in Tampa when the Leafs played the third last game of the season. Meaningless game. i bought tickets knowing that MArner and Matthews might be held out. Taking the chance that Marner was going to play because he had 99 points and probably wanted 100 was something I did. I bought the tickets and was dissapointed but I knew it wold happen and didn't blame anyone. I knew it was going to happen. Yet, if the team made an announcemnt the day prior saying he is for sure playing and then he didnt' play becasue they "changed their mind" I would have a reason to be upset.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
tony-soprano-whadya-gonna-do.gif

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
because i read the goal is for Schmid to get a heavy workload in the AHL for this year while Hellebuyck leads the way (if we are looking to acquire a goalie for a Cup run this year)

then go back to Schmid for a starters load the following year
Where did you read this? What you're describing reads like Hellebuyck is already here.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Where did you read this? What you're describing reads like Hellebuyck is already here.
it was an article based off of the comments i think Ryan Nov(something) said about how the Devils would like to get Schmid another starters season in the AHL

i think that rumor was around the beginning of free agency!

im guessing the sentiment was acquire a goalie with 1-2 years and let Schmid cook some more in the A

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad