Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 training camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
it was an article based off of the comments i think Ryan Nov(something) said about how the Devils would like to get Schmid another starters season in the AHL

i think that rumor was around the beginning of free agency!

im guessing the sentiment was acquire a goalie with 1-2 years and let Schmid cook some more in the A
Ah, okay.

I think what you see right now (Vanecek and Schmid) is what you're gonna get to start the year, barring injuries to one of them. I think the plan now is for Schmid to play the entire season in the NHL.

In any event, I would think Vanecek would be going back the other way in a deal for Hellebuyck, thus Schmid will still be here.

And I would almost expect Winnipeg to have asked for Schmid in return in the initial negotiations for Hellebuyck. It wouldn't surprise me. I'd be more surprised if they didn't throw Schmid's name on the table.

Reactions: My3Sons

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Ah, okay.

I think what you see right now (Vanecek and Schmid) is what you're gonna get to start the year, barring injuries to one of them. I think the plan now is for Schmid to play the entire season in the NHL.

In any event, I would think Vanecek would be going back the other way in a deal for Hellebuyck, thus Schmid will still be here.

And I would almost expect Winnipeg to have asked for Schmid in return in the initial negotiations for Hellebuyck. It wouldn't surprise me. I'd be more surprised if they didn't throw Schmid's name on the table.
i would think, if we did get Hellebuyck and Vanacek went back, Schmid wouldnt have to backup

its only the regular season and Hellebuyck would start 60-65 games; and injury wouldnt be an issue because you can carry a third goaltender for the playoffs right?

i dont think a Kinkaid or Kallgren would lose us games; Kallgren had stinky stats but a good record! were a better team than Toronto

im okay with Vanecek and Schmid too! i just dont think its as good as Hellebuyck obviously!

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Ah, okay.

NJ sends Vanacek to Toronto to pair him again with Samsonov. NJ gets two second round picks and free tickets to some Marlies games. NJ runs a tandem of Kinkaid and Kallgren to allow Schmid to start 55 games in thr AHL. NJ still gets 100 points winning most of its games 7-5 or 8-7. By December the government has to build a special maximum security facility to hold you until the trade deadline when the two seconds and the remaining Marlies tickets and an autographed photo of Lou Lamoriello that the office cleaning crew found in a closet and Brett Seney’s cellphone number are sent to Winnipeg for Hellebuyck. The country breathes a sigh of relief but the Blackwood Voodoo Doll store I open is forced to close.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Guys who know, accept and excel in their role, no matter their role, are absolute assets. We have no idea how good if at all he'll be, but guys buying into what the team needs from them is what wins games.

Accepting this is why McLeod has a career at all. If he didn't put the work to become a pest and faceoff guy, he would have washed out by now

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

Islands in the Stream?! Which generation of Stillman did we draft?:laugh:

What a tune, I respect it

1694736184993.png

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
NJ sends Vanacek to Toronto to pair him again with Samsonov. NJ gets two second round picks and free tickets to some Marlies games. NJ runs a tandem of Kinkaid and Kallgren to allow Schmid to start 55 games in thr AHL. NJ still gets 100 points winning most of its games 7-5 or 8-7. By December the government has to build a special maximum security facility to hold you until the trade deadline when the two seconds and the remaining Marlies tickets and an autographed photo of Lou Lamoriello that the office cleaning crew found in a closet and Brett Seney’s cellphone number are sent to Winnipeg for Hellebuyck. The country breathes a sigh of relief but the Blackwood Voodoo Doll store I open is forced to close.

Is that the best you could do? :laugh:

newjerseydamo

May 15, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
www.puck-mad.com

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
This is so hindsighty.

We had guys in their mid 20's who looked pretty good. Hall, Palm's, Sev' Vats. Then a couple other guys like Coleman and Noesen who looked like they too could be good, or Mojo who we hoped could get back to being good.

Then a bunch of young guys like Nico, Bratt, Wood, Butcher and Zacha. And we had just drafted 20 guys in the previous 2 offseasons, including McLeod and Boq who we all thought pretty highly of.

If Schneid's and Kink (not to mention Hall and Vat's) don't fall off a cliff, there was good reason to think we would be able to build off that season and continue to be a playoff team.

Now did going on another 4 year top of the draft bender help us build what looks like it should be a true contender for the next decade+, well duh.
It’s not hindsight.

That team had an acceptable 1st line: Hall-Hischier-Palmieri. The team also had a solid bottom six.

It didn’t have a second line however and that was a real problem. Johansson was supposed to help there but he end up only playing 48 games.

Mojo was a year away from UFA. Noesen had a real solid season but he was a waiver wire pick up.

We had some prospects that no one that highly of (McLeod, Boqvist). They were projected to play in the NHL but as top six forwards.

Our prospect pool lacked high end talent, particularly the latter, and we had almost nothing beyond Smith at defense. We drafted 20 guys in 2016 and 2017, but we didn’t use any extra 1sts or 2nds, and drafted four times in the 7th round.

Most teams have some good players, other than Nico and Hall everything you listed is pretty meh. People could have been more optimistic on certain players, but a playoff caliber defense or 2nd scoring line wasn’t there.

It was like the Vancouver under Benning, but maybe worse.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
It’s not hindsight.

That team had an acceptable 1st line: Hall-Hischier-Palmieri. The team also had a solid bottom six.

It didn’t have a second line however and that was a real problem. Johansson was supposed to help there but he end up only playing 48 games.

Mojo was a year away from UFA. Noesen had a real solid season but he was a waiver wire pick up.

We had some prospects that no one that highly of (McLeod, Boqvist). They were projected to play in the NHL but as top six forwards.

McLeod was 1 season removed from being drafted 11th overall, Zacha was two seasons removed from being drafted sixth overall. We definitely thought both of them would be top six.

Reactions: devilsblood

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It’s not hindsight.

Our prospect pool lacked high end talent, particularly the latter, and we had almost nothing beyond Smith at defense. We drafted 20 guys in 2016 and 2017, but we didn’t use any extra 1sts or 2nds, and drafted four times in the 7th round.

Most teams have some good players, other than Nico and Hall everything you listed is pretty meh. People could have been more optimistic on certain players, but a playoff caliber defense or 2nd scoring line wasn’t there.

It was like the Vancouver under Benning, but maybe worse.

I even said I literally thought it at the time lol. Not sure how that's "hindsight".

McLeod was 1 season removed from being drafted 11th overall, Zacha was two seasons removed from being drafted sixth overall. We definitely thought both of them would be top six.

Not everyone. I was never high on either. Thought at best McLeod was a poor mans Kesler as a 3C and Zacha at best would be a 2C but more likely a middle 6er than a legit top 6er.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I went to all of the prospect tourneys from 2015-2018 because I was living in Buffalo at the time. It's a fun novelty, me and my brother had a good time, but the quality of hockey was absolutely dreadful.

It's a bunch of teenagers ranging from elite prospect to glorified beer leaguer, who have never played together and don't know any system, who are all playing street hockey with each other. Most of the good prospects only play one game or two. It was cool being able to see Nico, Zacha, Wood, etc before everyone else but they aren't going to "show" for you, if that makes sense.

You'll see a lot of the guys there, though. I saw both Shero and Castron. Langenbrunner and Pandolfo were both with the Bruins brass at the time. The Sabres usually have Marty Biron as color commentator for the event, I bumped into him and got to say him. Anyone who has ever met Biron knows he's the nicest guy in the world, very chatty and always smiling. He's always happy to stop and say hi to fans or get a picture.

It's fun to make a day out of, though. The Harbor Center is a nice facility and there's some cool stuff to do down at the water front. There's some historical sites including a preserved WWII battleship, the USS Sullivan. Some good food too. Iron Works, Cobblestone, Southern Tier Brewery, lots of really great spots near the arena. Swannie House is a nice dive bar if you want a greasy burger and cheap beer. If you're not afraid of walking you can head down to Resurgence on Ohio Street, one of the really popular local breweries. The Buffalo Bisons stadium is in walking distance, they are the minor league affiliate of the Toronto Blue Jays if you want to catch a baseball game.

People will tell you the best Italian food in Buffalo is at Chef's, but I disagree. Go to Mulberry Italian Bistro in Lackawanna, it's only about 10-15 mins south of the arena. It's supposedly a Brooklyn style Italian restaurant, but you Jersey boys would know that better than me. All I can tell you is that the food is f***ing bomb. I recommend the chicken parm.

Also - for those of you that play Pokemon Go, Canalside is legitimately one of the best places in the world to play. Gyms, spots, and nests everywhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad