Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 training camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I think Palat-Haula-Holtz would do surprisingly well as a third line too. And Mercer has more than earned the presumption of starting in the top 6 over Holtz.

I guess we'll have to see how both Mercer and Holtz do in camp.
I agree, I just think that if Holtz clicks he’d be more suited for a top-6 role than a 3rd line role. Mercer is a very versatile player and I don’t think his performance would get hurt a lot by playing with Haula/Palat.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
No surprise really, but man has Thompson fell...

Didn't make it onto the 5th forward line of Foot - Tierney - Clarke or the 6th forward line of Filmon - Dowling - Halonen.

Not even sure how you'd rank the line that he's on with Willman (PTO) and Engras (3 points in 26 games last year in Utica).

Guy had 69 points in 59 games his last two college seasons and played 7 NHL games in 2020-2021 - future was looking bright at the time.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I think Palat-Haula-Holtz would do surprisingly well as a third line too. And Mercer has more than earned the presumption of starting in the top 6 over Holtz.

I guess we'll have to see how both Mercer and Holtz do in camp.

I think either 3rd line will work. I do think it’s a bit weird Holtz is with Meier-Nico over Bratt-Jack

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

Didn't make it onto the 5th forward line of Foot - Tierney - Clarke or the 6th forward line of Filmon - Dowling - Halonen.

Not even sure how you'd rank the line that he's on with Willman (PTO) and Engras (3 points in 26 games last year in Utica).

Guy had 69 points in 59 games his last two college seasons and played 7 NHL games in 2020-2021 - future was looking bright at the time.

Injuries certainly hampered his development, along with the influx of talent at the NHL level. He might just need another opportunity elsewhere. Shame because I thought he at least showed in those brief glimpses that he has the hockey sense to be a bottom 6 guy.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I have to respect your commitment to this. It's impressive.
No good meme popped up last year to replace it. Blackwood is gone and takes all the fun @Bleedred stuff with him and with the team success the goofy insults to various good players are fewer and further between. Nobody talks about Hughes anymore to insult his wide turns or failures against men. Nobody batted an eye at Bratt's extension or Meier's extension. It's a barren wasteland. Hopefully something comes along and replaces it soon. Maybe Luke will spur some faux outrage that we can run with.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
No good meme popped up last year to replace it. Blackwood is gone and takes all the fun @Bleedred stuff with him and with the team success the goofy insults to various good players are fewer and further between. Nobody talks about Hughes anymore to insult his wide turns or failures against men. Nobody batted an eye at Bratt's extension or Meier's extension. It's a barren wasteland. Hopefully something comes along and replaces it soon. Maybe Luke will spur some faux outrage that we can run with.

No good meme replaced it?! Where's the batsignal for @NjDevsRR for Dano memes when you need it?

We need the "Listen here, you little shit" over here, stat! :sarcasm:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

I don't expect him to turn into his brother, but Tage was a very late bloomer. At the end of his D+5 year Tage had 35 points in 146 games and was constantly getting yo-yo'd between AHL Rochester, the press box, and the 4th line. Looked like a career journeyman in the making.

Then out of nowhere in '22 it suddenly clicked and he exploded for 38 goals and 68 points despite his previous career high being just 14 points. Followed it up last year with 47-47-94, the best points per game by any since Mogilny in 1993.

Now granted - Tage is 6'6" 220lbs and Tyce is listed at 6'1" 174 lbs and that's a pretty enormous difference. He's got the skill, he's got the pedigree. I'd like to see him work on his strength and conditioning. But I'm not ready to write him off quite yet despite the fact he's clearly been leapfrogged by a number of other forwards.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I'm confident that when Luke has a 1g-3a-4p game against a division rival we'll get some real main board smoke castigating his defense or physicality or manhood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad