Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 training camp edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This is taking it to a really nasty level, though. Most sports execs who end their time with a franchise poorly didn’t bring two decades of excellence to it beforehand. There are GM’s and owners out there who have done far worse and brought nothing to their organization other than failure, who don’t get as much vitriol as this poster brings against Lou.

It just really reflects poorly on one’s personality, IMO.
I honestly think he's just trying to get under my skin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This is taking it to a really nasty level, though. Most sports execs who end their time with a franchise poorly didn’t bring two decades of excellence to it beforehand. There are GM’s and owners out there who have done far worse and brought nothing to their organization other than failure, who don’t get as much vitriol as this poster brings against Lou.

It just really reflects poorly on one’s personality, IMO.

Generally it’s the older posters who have more appreciation for Lou. We saw what it was like before him. He wasn’t the same after a certain point or maybe he was but team building changed a bit. It’s not a referendum on anyone else without knowing their context.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Damn it. Now I have parasite, crabs, high cholesterol, PCBs / Dioxin / Cadmium / PFAS poisoning plus insomnia from the bears that might get me while I sleep on my Sleep Number bed and the season hasn’t even started yet.

Thanks you, you bunch of ‘bunch of Daniils‘ loving hooligans and hooliganettes.

You have crabs? What is this 1979?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
How does one have this much bitterness toward someone that brought three championships to your favorite team? That’s just sad, and it comes across as really entitled thanklessness.

https://media.tenor.com/poJ384GwxcoAAAAd/because-f***-them-why.gif

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Generally it’s the older posters who have more appreciation for Lou. We saw what it was like before him. He wasn’t the same after a certain point or maybe he was but team building changed a bit. It’s not a referendum on anyone else without knowing their context.
I also don't think many understand what a giant in hockey he is... even aside from the Devils.

His career began in 1968 as the head coach of Providence College...he had 20 years of hockey history BEFORE he joined New Jersey that spanned from coaching to A D. to the commissioner of Hockey East. The freakin guy created Hockey East...the Hockey East championship trophy is named the Lamoriello Trophy created over 30 years ago. The guy negotiated the first ever college hockey TV deal...

The stuff he did outside of the NHL is mind blowing...His contributions to USA Hockey and NCAA hockey might be as big if not bigger as his NHL accomplishments.

The guy sits on Mount Olympus.

Brian hoisting the Lamoriello Trophy
images (1).jpeg

lamoriellofront.jpg

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Let's not even mention that he ran the Nets and was a minority owner of the Yankees...hired Rick Pitino at Providence managed and coached collegiate summer league baseball..

The stories are almost Forest Gump-like his career touched so many people and things

"The year was 1967 and Yarmouth’s new manager, Lou Lamoriello, convinced the parents of a 17-year-old Connecticut schoolboy star that their son would benefit from a season in the Cape Cod Baseball League. His argument was prophetic as Bobby Valentine turned in a solid season, batting .294 against some of the nation’s best collegiate pitchers to virtually guarantee that he would be a high choice in baseball’s amateur entry draft the following spring."

Dugh... left the cupboards empty though bro

Last edited:

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Al Arbour got a banner that says 1500, as game coached, it’s not a GM banner.

I think it’s silly to put up a GM banner, with 3 Cups on it, next to the 3 actual Cup banners. His achievement is celebrated with those 3 banners.

Management shouldn’t get banners. Owners shouldn’t get banners either. Ed Snyder shouldn’t have gotten a banner, it’s very Ed Snyder for him to have one though. (He’s a major Ayn Rand disciple.)

Banners are star players. A Hall of Fame is different because it’s about history.

I my pretty confident that the team’s been waiting on finding the right time to put Lou in the Ring of Honor but him being a GM of a more successful team was never the right time. (If it’s not Lou they have no excuse for waiting this long.)

What they do with RofH after that is a little hazy to me. I don’t know if regular ex-players get added. Probably not? maybe.

Chico has to be the 3rd. I assume they’ll move faster with him.

Edit: sorry to interrupt the venison talk lol.
Banners are for fans of that franchise to celebrate their history. There's no rules for banners, it's entirely up to the team to decide what qualifies. Every franchise has a unique history and unique things they value.

Buffalo put up a banner for Rick Jeannereat last year for 51 years in broadcasting. The Oilers have a banner for Glen Sather, Doug Wilson got a banner in San Jose (eww), Poile will likely be getting a banner in Nashville. Al Arbour has a coaching banner.

Ken Daneyko wasn't a star player. Never got a Norris vote, never got an All-Star team vote. I'm sure a lot of other fanbases will question why Kenny he got his number retired. But the Devils decided his longevity and dedication to the franchise earned him that honor, And I think they were 100% correct on that call.

Yeah, there's silly vanity stuff like Ed Snyder or the FAN banners in Minnesota and Seattle, which IMO are mega cringe. But Lou doesn't fall into that category at all. I don't think any GM is more synonymous with a team in the last 35 years than Lou was with the Devils, it's impossible to think of those three Cups and not think of Lou, and vice versa.

For as much as I roast him for the awful decisions he made at the end of his tenure here, we don't get three championships without him. He's responsible for the 5 player banners and 3 championship banners we already have in the rafters. He may be the only living GM that deserves it, but IMO he definitely deserves it.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I also don't think many understand what a giant in hockey he is... even aside from the Devils.

His career began in 1968 as the head coach of Providence College...he had 20 years of hockey history BEFORE he joined New Jersey that spanned from coaching to A D. to the commissioner of Hockey East. The freakin guy created Hockey East...the Hockey East championship trophy is named the Lamoriello Trophy created over 30 years ago. The guy negotiated the first ever college hockey TV deal...

The stuff he did outside of the NHL is mind blowing...His contributions to USA Hockey and NCAA hockey might be as big if not bigger as his NHL accomplishments.

View attachment 744785

View attachment 744786

We can appreciate Lou's legendary accomplishments and contributions to USA Hockey, NCAA hockey, and the Devils dynasty, while also acknowledging that he is now a shell of his former self, a walking relic who should have been out of the game years ago.

I think @MartyOwns takes the Lou-bashing much further than I would, but I see no contradiction in thinking the game has passed him by.

Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Banners are for fans of that franchise to celebrate their history. There's no rules for banners, it's entirely up to the team to decide what qualifies. Every franchise has a unique history and unique things they value.

Buffalo put up a banner for Rick Jeannereat last year for 51 years in broadcasting. The Oilers have a banner for Glen Sather, Doug Wilson got a banner in San Jose (eww), Poile will likely be getting a banner in Nashville. Al Arbour has a coaching banner.

Ken Daneyko wasn't a star player. Never got a Norris vote, never got an All-Star team vote. I'm sure a lot of other fanbases will question why Kenny he got his number retired. But the Devils decided his longevity and dedication to the franchise earned him that honor, And I think they were 100% correct on that call.

Yeah, there's silly vanity stuff like Ed Snyder or the FAN banners in Minnesota and Seattle, which IMO are mega cringe. But Lou doesn't fall into that category at all. I don't think any GM is more synonymous with a team in the last 35 years than Lou was with the Devils, it's impossible to think of those three Cups and not think of Lou, and vice versa.

For as much as I roast him for the awful decisions he made at the end of his tenure here, we don't get three championships without him. He's responsible for the 5 player banners and 3 championship banners we already have in the rafters. He may be the only living GM that deserves it, but IMO he definitely deserves it.

Yeah, this is my subjective opinion.
He’s one of the greatest GMs ever but GMs shouldn’t get banners. (IMO, if that’s not clear.)

The Isles sort of did with Al Arbour but it was honoring him for his coaching record. I don’t know a team that’s done it for a GM. If the Preds do for Poile that’s another reason not to do it.

Lou has 9 Division Championship, 5 Eastern Conference Championship, and 3 Stanley Cup Championship banners as his legacy.

I think Ed Snider is understandably a legendary owner but it’s weird and off to me to give him a banner next to the players.

And Lou has said it’s not about him, so it shouldn’t be about him. To me banners are for the players. Being behind the scenes means you’re behind the scenes.

The Ring of Honor is sort of functioning as team hall of fame and he would go in that.

My3Sons

Sponsor

View attachment 744785

View attachment 744786

A younger fan may not have been old enough to really appreciate the years from 1993 to 2003. A younger fan may not know about his pre-Devils work and may not care. It’s a pro sport. It’s finicky and has a short memory. He’s also never done himself any favors by being stand offish and very closed to the media. It seems most fan bases are that way. Watch Saban get run out of town if they stink this year and next year and he brought that program back from the near dead.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Meh I was born in '82 and became a fan in '94. I never experienced the horrible early years in person. Again, if someone can't appreciate something just because they didn't experience it directly, that's a poor reflection on them.

I'm pretty sure this poster is not on the younger side, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: Guttersniped

My3Sons

Sponsor
Meh I was born in '82 and became a fan in '94. I never experienced the horrible early years in person. Again, if someone can't appreciate something just because they didn't experience it directly, that's a poor reflection on them.

I'm pretty sure this poster is not on the younger side, but I could be wrong.

You are an older fan grandpa.

Reactions: Guadana

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I mean no one is demanding active praise, but this person goes out of their way to piss on a guy that managed three championship teams, 5 finals appearances, multiple division titles, and nearly 20 straight years of playoff berths. It's not like he set fire to the Prudential Center and moved the team to Winnipeg. The entire shtick is just ridiculous.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Even if Lou single handedly cursed this franchise to a decade in the wilderness (he had plenty of help, and eventually the Devils were going to be bad/irrelevant for a while no matter what he did), he paid for that a dozen times over, up front.

It's a complete counterfactual, of course, but I'm pretty certain that without Lou, there probably wouldn't be a hockey franchise in New Jersey today.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Even if Lou single handedly cursed this franchise to a decade in the wilderness (he had plenty of help, and eventually the Devils were going to be bad/irrelevant for a while no matter what he did), he paid for that a dozen times over, up front.

It's a complete counterfactual, of course, but I'm pretty certain that without Lou, there probably wouldn't be a hockey franchise in New Jersey today.
Pssssh that hardly compares to the achievements of one Ray Shero, whose unparalleled contributions warrant a thank you note under your username. LOL

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Nice to see Holtz being put in a position to succeed. Hopefully he takes advantage of it.

Not much of a surprise on the main D pairings, with Bahl-Miller suited up as the 3rd pairing.

A little surprise to see that maybe Foote has the initial edge over Nemec, as he is paired up with Smith on the "4th" defensive pairing whereas Nemec is with Wotherspoon.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Nice to see Holtz being put in a position to succeed. Hopefully he takes advantage of it.

Not much of a surprise on the main D pairings, with Bahl-Miller suited up as the 3rd pairing.

A little surprise to see that maybe Foote has the initial edge over Nemec, as he is paired up with Smith on the "4th" defensive pairing whereas Nemec is with Wotherspoon.

I definitely think they have no intention of moving Nemec up so soon, Fitz and Ruff both have indicated as much over the offseason. I think they’ll make him have to earn his spot on the roster to make it, and they don’t want to have him be up here to only be in the press box.

With already having Miller and Smith here along with Foote, I think they feel set with the veterans they have and will only consider Nemec if he has an outstanding camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad