Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023 offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Can we please get Vitek to a sports psychologist stat. Fleury started going to one in 2013 after years of brutal playoff performances following the Cup. Then following that he's a good playoff goalie again and IIRC he said that was part of getting his game back on track.
Vitek is not on the same planet as Fleury was. Fleury's baseline is way higher so a sports psychologist could actually get him back to that baseline. Fleury was a Vezina level goalie who has received Hart votes multiple years in his career.

Vitek is maybe a streaky league average goalie in the regular season who gets exposed in the playoffs. He's not some lights out goalie that just inexplicably collapses in the playoffs.

Reactions: Stephen Gionta

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Vitek is not on the same planet as Fleury was. Fleury's baseline is way higher so a sports psychologist could actually get him back to that baseline. Fleury was a Vezina level goalie who has received Hart votes multiple years in his career.

Vitek is maybe a streaky league average goalie in the regular season who gets exposed in the playoffs. He's not some lights out goalie that just inexplicably collapses in the playoffs.

Fleury was not a Vezina caliber guy in Pittsburgh. He only had a 7th and 8th finish and he got Hart votes one time where he finished 18th so I imagine it was one singular vote. Fleury himself was not some lights out goalie who that just inexplicably collapsed in the playoffs.

Reactions: Triumph

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I have absolutely zero interest paying Hellebuyck anything close to 8 years of 9.5 mil per year. Like at all.

What about 9.2 dollar

1687380100867.png

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I have absolutely zero interest paying Hellebuyck anything close to 8 years of 9.5 mil per year. Like at all.

I don't even have an interest in either of those numbers separately outside of maybe like 9.5 for 1 or 2 years

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

If he’s streaky then he can get hot in the playoffs. His career SV% is .01 lower than Adin Hill. There is really no science to predicting goalie play in the postseason as is shown year after year. I don’t accept that he’ll just be unplayable in the playoffs every year, the sample isn’t nearly big enough.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I'll negotiate Meier contract right now:

8 years, $66 million. $8.25 AAV

YearSeasonClauseTotal SalarySBBase
12023-24$12M$4M$8M
22024-25NMC$10M$4M$6M
32025-26NMC$9M$8M$1M
42026-27NMC$8M$6M$2M
52027-28NMC$8M$4M$4M
62028-29NMC$7M$4M$3M
72029-3010 team no trade$6M$3M$3M
82030-3110 team no trade$6M$6M

Ok all done.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Kinda hoping Vegas gives Adin Hill the bag so we can poach Logan Thompson off their roster. But they'll probably just do something else with Lehner so they can keep Hill and Thompson as a duo. It would've been nice keeping Thompson longer than we did in Binghamton and eventually now Utica.

Dylan9z9

LGD 2024-25
May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ
No Mogilny for the HOF! I've been saying all along what a slimy creep Bettman is.🖕 Mogilny risked his life defecting from Russia to play in the NHL.🤔

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If he’s streaky then he can get hot in the playoffs. His career SV% is .01 lower than Adin Hill. There is really no science to predicting goalie play in the postseason as is shown year after year. I don’t accept that he’ll just be unplayable in the playoffs every year, the sample isn’t nearly big enough.
But Hill put up those #'s on bad teams, while Vitek was on very good teams.

Kind of interesting as to why Hill hasn't been given more of a chance in his career.

Though he definitely outperformed his career reg season #'s in this years playoffs.

Last edited:

Dylan9z9

LGD 2024-25
May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ
Rob Rossi
@Real_RobRossi . Follow
Person I spoke with last night said
not to expect Russian candidates to
gain entry into #HHOF anytime soon
given global politics. Said the
already high bar for Russian players
to gain entry is higher because "it's
easier not to put in Russian right
now.
🙄

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
Rob Rossi
@Real_RobRossi . Follow
Person I spoke with last night said
not to expect Russian candidates to
gain entry into #HHOF anytime soon
given global politics. Said the
already high bar for Russian players
to gain entry is higher because "it's
easier not to put in Russian right
now.
🙄
That’s absurd. Are they not going to elect Drai in 30 years because of Hitler?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
That’s absurd. Are they not going to elect Drai in 30 years because of Hitler?
If Mogilny is currently living in Russia, and supportive of the current regime and the invasion of Ukraine, then I'd say that that is not a great comparison.

I don't know if he is, but if he isn't then I would actually see it as a positive given the logic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Be Quick

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It's absolutely a Bettman thing. Final say in banning players from Russia comes down to him as does every hockey decision.

I know you want an easy scapegoat, but the Hockey Hall of Fame isn't the NHL Hall of Fame. Bettman has no jurisdiction.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
If Mogilny is currently living in Russia, and supportive of the current regime and the invasion of Ukraine, then I'd say that that is not a great comparison.

I don't if he is, but if he isn't then I would actually see it as a positive given the logic.
I know it’s not apples to apples, but my point is that Mogilny has as much to do with the current geopolitical climate as Drai did with Hitlers atrocities. It’s just a shame that because you share a nation with an historically not-good person, you’re treated as a leper.

Reactions: Dylan9z9

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Fleury is a streaky league average goalie and was for the vast majority of his career. He was drafted 1st overall but do not let that fool you.

Reactions: Hisch13r

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I know it’s not apples to apples, but my point is that Mogilny has as much to do with the current geopolitical climate as Drai did with Hitlers atrocities. It’s just a shame that because you share a nation with an historically not-good person, you’re treated as a leper.
I really don't know where some of these guys stand, Mogilny could be a Putin hater and living here in the states for all I know, but I don't mind given a pro Putin player the cold shoulder.

Similarly if Draisaitl starting walking around in Nazi gear and denying the holocaust occured, I probably wouldn't want him on my team.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Me either . It takes whatever cap advantage we had with bargain Nico , Jack , Seigs , Marino contracts and negates it by overpaying on a goalie . Just my opinion .
If we can get Helle for a reasonable contact (under 6 years and under 7 mil ) I’d be ok with it .
I just don’t see it happening . Brodeur even said they want to develop goalies from within GTO be able to not have to pay inflated prices on the goalie position in a cap world . I don’t see us structuring our cap by paying a large % of it on goalies . However , maybe they change their tune if a goalie as good as Helle is available for an amount they are ok with ( have the backup make league min or close to it too )

Reactions: Billdo and My3Sons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad