Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Goaltending throughout the whole league literally sucks besides Adin Hill, Hellebuyck and Demko. The Rags elite start is hovering .899 right now and they're in first, Avs have a sub .900 from Georgiev, Canes have a WORSE save percentage and have been fine this season. Yes, this team's goaltending is absolutely atrocious but you're an absolute dolt if you think a goalie is fixing this team's issue especially an absolutely mediocre one like Jake Allen. Why give Rogalski/Lindy a life jacket when they don't deserve it? The team doesn't either.
All of those teams actually have a goalie above .900% on their roster this season. Other than maybe the Canes? Was Andersen above .900%? He hasn’t played in like 3 months though.

I think goalie is definitely to blame for a lot of this mess, but some of that is also on the coach for running Vitek out there in some of these games. Like the Rangers game in November. Thats exactly who they were hoping to face. Their favorite blow up doll in the division. And that’s exactly who Lindy gave them. While keeping the 4-1, .951%, 2 shutout goalie in the garage to take the unreliable jalopy on the journey.

And Vitek is THE reason for the loss last game and I could probably count a few others. I’d say he’s cost us about 5-6 games? Not that we would have definitely gotten 2 points in those 5-6 games. First Tampa game should have been two points. We probably should have gotten a point in some of those other ones.

Schmid turfed a game or two. Daws probably didn’t help squandering a point to Montreal.

This is not a pro-Lindy post though. I have no use for him either and would welcome a coaching change for 24-25. I actually WANT one, as long as it’s the right guy. NOT Travis Green or some BUM.

And I also don’t want to give them a life vest with a goalie this year to save them. I’m already feeling as of now that the injuries and rapist saved him/them. However, that doesn’t mean they will have still been saved come April 15th.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Very funny and ironic that 2 of those 80 are Blackwood/Wedgewood, huh? Oh wait, it isn't
And both of them have sucked too. Wedgewood is having his worst season since 17-18 in Arizona.

That’s just how bad Vitek has been.

I’ve been saying for much of this year this he’s had the athlete’s version of a nervous breakdown. There was no coming back from his disaster of a playoffs last year. Not on this team.

A breakup is badly needed. And has been since last April. We just didn’t know it yet.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
All of those teams actually have a goalie above .900% on their roster this season. Other than maybe the Canes? Was Andersen above .900%? He hasn’t played in like 3 months though.

I think goalie is definitely to blame for a lot of this mess, but some of that is also on the coach for running Vitek out there in some of these games. Like the Rangers game in November. Thats exactly who they were hoping to face. Their favorite blow up doll in the division. And that’s exactly who Lindy gave them. While keeping the 4-1, .951%, 2 shutout goalie in the garage to take the unreliable jalopy on the journey.

And Vitek is THE reason for the loss last game and I could probably count a few others. I’d say he’s cost us about 5-6 games? Not that we would have definitely gotten 2 points in those 5-6 games. First Tampa game should have been two points. We probably should have gotten a point in some of those other ones.

Schmid turfed a game or two. Daws probably didn’t help squandering a point to Montreal.

This is not a pro-Lindy post though. I have no use for him either and would welcome a coaching change for 24-25. I actually WANT one, as long as it’s the right guy. NOT Travis Green or some BUM.

And I also don’t want to give them a life vest with a goalie this year to save them. I’m already feeling as of now that the injuries and rapist saved him/them. However, that doesn’t mean they will have still been saved come April 15th.

I acknowledge that the starting goaltender is legitimate bad and shouldn't be on the roster next year, he's mentally checked out. But they get Jake Allen and go on a run, per se, and make the playoffs. Having Lindy as the HC regardless going into 24-25 is still a massive negative on this team, because you know Fitz is not firing him after a miracle playoff run as a bubble in team. The goaltending will get fixed, I'm more worried that the coach is just gonna be in limbo

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
No hate to anyone, but calling the team very bad is just as hyperbolic as saying goaltending would fix everything. We've spent multiple stretches this year down 2-3 of our top 4 centers in addition to the bad goaltending, down our top D pair, and other depth injuries and we're still above .500. Get real.

Reactions: Mgd31

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I acknowledge that the starting goaltender is legitimate bad and shouldn't be on the roster next year, he's mentally checked out. But they get Jake Allen and go on a run, per se, and make the playoffs. Having Lindy as the HC regardless going into 24-25 is still a massive negative on this team, because you know Fitz is not firing him after a miracle playoff run as a bubble in team. The goaltending will get fixed, I'm more worried that the coach is just gonna be in limbo
More losses like last game (and last Tampa game before the break) down the stretch with Jack and a mostly healthy lineup may get Lindy GANKED.

Even if they’re complete and utter goalie losses (Calgary) or if they’re not (Tampa) I think Fitz may have no choice but to force his hand.

He can’t honestly think losing you know who (who was nothing more than a really good 4th liner prior to April of last year, on top of one of legitimately the worst goal scorers in the league) was the final nail in this season’s coffin? You trade McLeod for Jack Hughes every single time and you are a better team for it.

We’ve lost some downright, ugly, embarrassing games at home to bad teams with fairly healthy lineups. And yes, some of those were because of goaltending, but they still happened.

And the first 10 minutes of games has been a constant problem this season and it was a problem last year, though not nearly to the level that it has been this year. And it’s been a problem when healthy. Since the first f***in few weeks of the season.

Have I mentioned Timo playing on his off wing Kovalchuk style like Adam Oates is ghost coaching somewhere on this staff?

Believe me, I’m with you. Lindy’s termination can be justified.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The team has lost to some terrible teams while healthy and just lost to a team that sold last week and most likely will till the trade deadline, they're bad. Argue with a wall

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Fitz hired Ruff and st some point in the past season didn’t he say he was a “partner”? What coach is hired as a partner? This isn’t good and my guess is it goes on way too long. Maybe thr team will grow into the system but I’m skeptical. Especially because Fitz has not seen skating as that much of a trait to be concerned about.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
That's way over simplifying it, he let in some stinkers but also made way more impressive save than they did.
Its pretty simple he gave up more goals then he was expected to. He does it over and over again, its every game
1707582239857.png

Reactions: Bleedred

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
We lost to Calgary because we couldn't get a save.

And also made Markstrom look like Roy 2.0 by shooting every glorious chance they had early in the game right back into him. At worst it should have been 3-1 Devils going into the second. VV sucked and probably deflated them in the second and beyond. But why can't there be accountability on the forwards for botching grade A chances over and over and over early in the game?

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
I am curious about our d-zone scheme and how it effects our goalies. Really, we are asking defensemen to spend much of that time doing things counter to what they are taught throughout their lives. I wonder if that filters down to the goalies as well, in regards to tracking the pace of play and opportunities they have to face. That's just a thought I'm having, nothing concrete, just a wonder.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Teams lose sometimes. The Devils offense has rarely been the issue this year.

Good teams don't make that a habit is my point. The slow starts and other bullshit associated with Ruff are equally as damning as Vitek being a shooter tutor.

And also made Markstrom look like Roy 2.0 by shooting every glorious chance they had early in the game right back into him. At worst it should have been 3-1 Devils going into the second. VV sucked and probably deflated them in the second and beyond. But why can't there be accountability on the forwards for botching grade A chances over and over and over early in the game?

He's a scapegoat for an mediocre season with higher hopes, does he suck? Absolutely lol. Am I going to cry about a guy who won't be here next year at all? Nope.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Yeah because are window is closing right....So trade the young guys because this is our vets last shot at a cup....Oh wait we are one of the youngest teams in the league so Fitz making a stupid trade of a 22 year old for a 34 35 year old should be a deal that gets him fired.....
I think you should go back and read the post I was replying to again

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Good teams don't make that a habit is my point. The slow starts and other bullshit associated with Ruff are equally as damning as Vitek being a shooter tutor.

He's a scapegoat for an mediocre season with higher hopes, does he suck? Absolutely lol. Am I going to cry about a guy who won't be here next year at all? Nope.

He does suck and I'll be happy when he's gone. But looking at the one game in a vacuum, VV might have crated the chances late, but the forward crew let Calgary hang around early until they found their footing.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Why do we need to score 5 goals to win a game? We scored 3, that should be enough. It would have been enough IF WE GOT SOME SAVES

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Calgary game was probably the first time this season that I lost faith on this team. I think we played fairly well, probably shouldve won it. No clue what the meters etc say. For this whole season with all the injuries, obstacles and rough patches I've believed that we're gonna find a way to make the playoffs. I guess I still do, but during that game it really hit that maybe we wont. It dont matter how good of a game we get, no matter who of the 3 goalies is in we wont get consistency out of anyone. I dont think the team even needs big timely saves that much, they just need average goaltending and not softies going in that completely kill their momentum.

I think the skaters, even with the current coaching are good enough for us to make the playoffs. Maybe we wont make any noise there, but theres been so many games this season we've lost points due to losing the goalie battle by a country mile.

I dont even know if its worth it to make a goalie trade anymore, shouldve done it 2 months ago but I'm starting to lose faith about playoffs with these goalies. We need to go on a run and its hard to do when your goalies are inconsistent.

7i5wd0.jpg

Lets go kick Carolinas ass!

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Canes have a WORSE save percentage and have been fine
Ehhh, more importantly for them it has drastically improved. Canes have a .906 save % since 12/15. They started off horrific. But unlike us it stabilized. Also unlike us, they didn’t have to deal with the goalie issues and the horrific injuries at the same time.

Shots Against/ Goals Against for their goalies

Martin
28 2
Kochetkov
18 2
19 3
13 3
17 2
29 1
27 2
37 2
28 5
25 1
Raanta
9 0
11 1
25 2
17 3
12 2
24 4
40 2
3 0
22 1
21 3

425 - 40 / 385 = .906

If the Devils got this goaltending for 25% of the season they would have had a handful of more wins and loser points. Probably in Metro 3.

Last edited:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Why do we need to score 5 goals to win a game? We scored 3, that should be enough. It would have been enough IF WE GOT SOME SAVES

I don't disagree. Again, looking at this game in a vacuum, there is some context we have to have. No doubt the forwards deserve WAY more benefit of the doubt over the course of the season. But in this one game, they struggled to do anything until VV cratered their chances. Then all of a sudden they started to score a couple goals. Score effects are absolutely a real thing. We should have been winning that game by multiple goals early and if we are, it's likely a very different game.

But yes, I agree that VV sucks and certainly crated the chances after the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad