Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
The Devils literally did last year what the Canucks are doing, you might be the most in the moment poster on this site. Take a breath, man
The Canucks are on a pdo bender. The devils actually were dominant. Learn the difference.

Trading whatever you have to, to fill holes is not good management. The Goalie Market is terrible, trading big assets for a 34 year old Markstrom who's been inconsistent since arriving in Calgary just to say you got a goalie is a kneejerk reaction to a season that hasn't lived up to expectations.
The hole is goaltending which is the most important thing to stabilize. You’re genuinely clueless.

The same people who are bitching at Fitz for not doing anything in arguably a dead season personnel wise are gonna be the same ones who are crying consistently if he makes a move and the guys we trade turn out to be better just like we've heard the past 3-4 weeks with Toffoli v Shara
I haven’t bitched about Yeezy being traded for Toffoli once since Toffoli is the better player. Try it with someone else. The season is dying thanks to piss poor goaltending, which needs to be addressed. What don’t you grasp about that?

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Marino hasn’t fallen off a cliff, he’s been shakier but the team has been worse and his partner (meaning Bahl) has been decidedly worse.
He plays brutal minutes and he’s been whacked with a rough on-ice SV%.

We can’t afford Hanifin or Chychrun longterm.
We can. Just stop.

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Why do people still mention Gibson? There are very few goalies I'd pay the cost of acquisition for and he ain't one of them. I think we try and get Ullmark over the summer, inquire about Saros, and keep the lines open on anyone else but I'm not paying the price for Gibson or Markstrom.
So you just want to piss the season away. Got it.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_1243.jpeg

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
The Canucks are on a pdo bender. The devils actually were dominant. Learn the difference.

I haven’t bitched about Yeezy being traded for Toffoli once since Toffoli is the better player. Try it with someone else. The season is dying thanks to piss poor goaltending, which needs to be addressed. What don’t you grasp about that?

So then why the f*** are you complaining they made a move or even brought them up if they're a PDO bender that isn't sustainable? It's just you being absurdly miserable

And lmao, Lindy + goalie coach are a far bigger issue than the goalies. There's 2 legit good goalies this entire year in Hellebyuck and Demko, if you want to complain that the Devils didn't go after him harder then be my guest. I'd be right there with you but to pound the table when we're in February to save a shit ass season and lame duck coach where this team isn't doing anything even if the goaltending shores up is downright hilarious. I'm sick of this mediocre team getting every excuse in the book by posters here. We whiff on Markstrom or Gibson, we're in a completely different hole long term. Getting an absolute average goalie is doing nothing for this Lindy Ruff coached team.

Last edited:

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I guess more what I meant is for bringing good depth back to our roster.

Sure haula can fill it. I agree.

But we need to replace McLeod with someone equal or better. He was practically our 3C.
Let's see how it all pans out and go from there...The summer is a good time to retool not now to try to force a run that might not still happen this year....STI brought up a guy like Turcotte from LA and looking at his stats this year not bad might be a good candidate for McLeod if he doesn't return....

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
We can. Just stop.

Current long term deals
Hamilton 9m (to 2027-28)
Marino 4.4m (to 2026-27)
Siegenthaler 3.4m (to 2027-28)
= 16.8m

Future long term RFA deals
Hughes new contract starting 2025-26
Nemec new contract starting 2026-27

Teams spend ~25-30% of their cap on defense.
(Cap numbers below text.)

There isn’t enough space for multiple big ticket items. The Hamilton deal will still be on the books when we sign Luke, that’s unavoidable.

Hanifin was negotiating a 8 year/7.5m deal with Calgary. Chychrun will get a similarly large deal.

Look at Cap Friendly and see how teams currently allocate salary on defense. Being like post-Karlsson trade San Jose is bad, you don’t want to overspend on 3 top guys.

2023-24
83.5m:
25% = 20.875m
30% = 25.05m
33% = 27.55m

2024-25
87.5m:
25% = 21.875m
30% = 26.25m
33% = 28.875m

After
90m
25% = 22.5m
30% = 27m
33% = 29.7m
92.5m
25% = 23.125m
30% = 27.75m
33% = 30.525m

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The hole is goaltending which is the most important thing to stabilize. You’re genuinely clueless.

People here don’t actually make trades, so I don’t know why you’re so angry at posters.

l don’t know if Calgary actually is willing to trade Markstrom.

Wolf is a 22 year kid who’s getting blown up right now at the NHL level. Vlader is so bad he’s not worth getting to replace any of our shitty goaltending, which is really saying something.

Markstrom is streaky, but when he’s on he can carry that team, and their ownership is going to want to go right back to pretending to compete next season. That team loves mediocrity something fierce.

So unless Markstrom is asking to be moved, I’m guessing he likely stays put.

There’s a real chance right now Jake Allen is the only goalie really in play.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Current long term deals
Hamilton 9m (to 2027-28)
Marino 4.4m (to 2026-27)
Siegenthaler 3.4m (to 2027-28)
= 16.8m

Future long term RFA deals
Hughes new contract starting 2025-26
Nemec new contract starting 2026-27

Teams spend ~25-30% of their cap on defense.
(Cap numbers below text.)

There isn’t enough space for multiple big ticket items. The Hamilton deal will still be on the books when we sign Luke, that’s unavoidable.

Hanifin was negotiating a 8 year/7.5m deal with Calgary. Chychrun will get a similarly large deal.

Look at Cap Friendly and see how teams currently allocate salary on defense. Being like post-Karlsson trade San Jose is bad, you don’t want to overspend on 3 top guys.

2023-24
83.5m:
25% = 20.875m
30% = 25.05m
33% = 27.55m

2024-25
87.5m:
25% = 21.875m
30% = 26.25m
33% = 28.875m

After
90m
25% = 22.5m
30% = 27m
33% = 29.7m
92.5m
25% = 23.125m
30% = 27.75m
33% = 30.525m

They arguably have one more bag to spend and I prefer it to be a goalie at this rate. If we wind up having money saved then either those guys sucked ass for their expectations or something happened we didn't expect like a Palat trade

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Gibson/Markstrom might save this season simply because what we have has been so bad (and by "save" I mean get us to the playoffs and possibly be competitive in the first round), but I have absolutely zero confidence in either of them being even average going forward. Both are old and have been largely bad the last few seasons.

If we miss the playoffs this year then so be it - Ruff will be gone, and all of Holtz, Luke, and Nemec have now established themselves as quality players. Jack and Dougie will be healthy. We'll have all offseason to pursue a proper McLeod replacement. All of those things set the table very nicely going into next season.

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Let's see how it all pans out and go from there...The summer is a good time to retool not now to try to force a run that might not still happen this year....STI brought up a guy like Turcotte from LA and looking at his stats this year not bad might be a good candidate for McLeod if he doesn't return....

I was just hoping this season isn't a throwaway. I still think it could be salvaged in some way with decent move.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
i don’t know how much a single move is going to help the team honestly. it needs to come from the locker room.

is one new player or a new goalie going to make them come out ready to play at the drop of the puck? is he going to stop them from giving up the first goal every night? stop them from playing down to competition?

it’s not like we’re a missing piece away from playing good hockey. they have the pieces, they just don’t have the right strategy/attitude/mental strength to win games consistently and convincingly.

so yeah a shakeup might be ok and replacing mcleod should be a priority, but the team’s problems seem a little more foundational to me than just that.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Gibson/Markstrom might save this season simply because what we have has been so bad (and by "save" I mean get us to the playoffs and possibly be competitive in the first round), but I have absolutely zero confidence in either of them being even average going forward. Both are old and have been largely bad the last few seasons.

If we miss the playoffs this year then so be it - Ruff will be gone, and all of Holtz, Luke, and Nemec have now established themselves as quality players. Jack and Dougie will be healthy. We'll have all offseason to pursue a proper McLeod replacement. All of those things set the table very nicely going into next season.

except having a goalie.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Bingo, well said as always. I have next to no reason to help this team, if they were legit struggling to eek out wins because of the goaltender and they had a good record then sure go do it. But they were next level mediocre with a healthy roster this year so I couldn't care less. Timo's hurt beyond belief, Jack would be rushing at this point since we have heard nothing with his timeline in a positive direction. The one that sucks balls is we won't be able to abuse the LTIR with Dougie there and have the chance to next level roided roster for the playoffs. But alas, they burned that once they brought back Lindy as HC and not Brunette.

except having a goalie.

Well, Fitz legitimately has next to no excuse not to get one this summer. They were mediocre without offensively/defensively having one this year. Dougie + Timo + Jack all healthy + new HC + goalie duo should have the Devils back we think they should be

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i don’t know how much a single move is going to help the team honestly. it needs to come from the locker room.

is one new player or a new goalie going to make them come out ready to play at the drop of the puck? is he going to stop them from giving up the first goal every night? stop them from playing down to competition?

it’s not like we’re a missing piece away from playing good hockey. they have the pieces, they just don’t have the right strategy/attitude/mental strength to win games consistently and convincingly.

so yeah a shakeup might be ok and replacing mcleod should be a priority, but the team’s problems seem a little more foundational to me than just that.
i think if the team has confidence the goalie is going to bail them out over a mistake or make a timely save when they need him to it will be an immediate change. they haven't had confidence in net since the last years playoffs which is exactly when this team lost the confidence and folded first sign of trouble.

Bingo, well said as always. I have next to no reason to help this team, if they were legit struggling to eek out wins because of the goaltender and they had a good record then sure go do it. But they were next level mediocre with a healthy roster this year so I couldn't care less. Timo's hurt beyond belief, Jack would be rushing at this point since we have heard nothing with his timeline in a positive direction. The one that sucks balls is we won't be able to abuse the LTIR with Dougie there and have the chance to next level roided roster for the playoffs. But alas, they burned that once they brought back Lindy as HC and not Brunette.

Well, Fitz legitimately has next to no excuse not to get one this summer. They were mediocre without offensively/defensively having one this year. Dougie + Timo + Jack all healthy + new HC + goalie duo should have the Devils back we think they should be

its never going to be a perfect season. theres going to be troubles along the way so to just write off a season because this didn't go write or this isn't working to me thats absolutely crazy talk. sure guys are hurt what happens if they are hurt next year? we write that off too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad