Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
i think if the team has confidence the goalie is going to bail them out over a mistake or make a timely save when they need him to it will be an immediate change. they haven't had confidence in net since the last years playoffs which is exactly when this team lost the confidence and folded first sign of trouble.

its never going to be a perfect season. theres going to be troubles along the way so to just write off a season because this didn't go write or this isn't working to me thats absolutely crazy talk. sure guys are hurt what happens if they are hurt next year? we write that off too?

I'm not writing it off, the entire team has taken a step back regardless of injuries. Marino looks like a shell of himself, I barely hear Mercer on telecasts like I did last year (lol Lindy playing him at center). Why would you go in on a team like that? We shit on Lou rightfully for it back in the day, we should keep the same energy for Fitz doing it now.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Move Toffoli for picks at the deadline. The lack of skating doesn’t fit and we need to reposition ourselves a bit. Fitz has his work cut out this off season. Even without the injuries our roster was significantly less athletic, fast, deep and young this year in a league where all those things are increasingly important. And yes get heavier while getting faster and more athletic. A Chandler Stevenson or two or clones of are just what we need.

Chandler just had a baby like someone else on our team 🥹. I’d give him 4 x 4 because that’s how high I was willing to go with MM if it ever got there

Reactions: Clam Jensen

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I'm not writing it off, the entire team has taken a step back regardless of injuries. Marino looks like a shell of himself, I barely hear Mercer on telecasts like I did last year (lol Lindy playing him at center). Why would you go in on a team like that? We shit on Lou rightfully for it back in the day, we should keep the same energy for Fitz doing it now.
how is filling a massive need now instead of waiting until summer going all in?

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Because you’re probably making a suboptimal long term decision on a goalie out of desperation. Hitching the wagon to markstrom or Gibson exchanges assets and locks you in to a guy with pretty poor recent historical performance.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Because this team doesn't deserve it right now, lol. And you're paying for insane prices right now, if Saros becomes available, he undercuts Gibson and Markstrom thus making them cheaper. You're overpaying right now for them. In the summer, you probably get a fairer deal

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
its never going to be a perfect season. theres going to be troubles along the way so to just write off a season because this didn't go write or this isn't working to me thats absolutely crazy talk. sure guys are hurt what happens if they are hurt next year? we write that off too?

The chances of injuries being this bad or worse next season are slim to none.

I understand what you’re trying to say though. The reality is this team is still in the infancy of contention, so they have the luxury of not making any future-crippling moves at the expense of pretty much writing off a season. If they were at a different point in the core’s prime, this might be a different story.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Because this team doesn't deserve it right now, lol. And you're paying for insane prices right now, if Saros becomes available, he undercuts Gibson and Markstrom thus making them cheaper. You're overpaying right now for them. In the summer, you probably get a fairer deal

listen i really dont care what happens no one is going to change my mind and im not going to change anyones mind. i'm tired of talking about goalies we all know where i stand and i know where you all stand.

ill just say it one more time. even if saros became available all the other teams that are looking for a goalie are going to want him over the "average meh" goalies so if you dont want to pay high prices for a average goalie just wait til you see the prices for a bidding war on saros would bring. theres only 1 saros so once hes gone your right back looking at the goalies you have now with one less team looking for a goalie so prices aren't going to come down.

as for the bolded i dunno what that even means. a team is playing bad i believe for a number of reasons mainly because of goaltending so they dont deserve to have that problem addressed when it might actually do some good? you dont even have to reply its just going to go in circles.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The chances of injuries being this bad or worse next season are slim to none.

I understand what you’re trying to say though. The reality is this team is still in the infancy of contention, so they have the luxury of not making any future-crippling moves at the expense of pretty much writing off a season. If they were at a different point in the core’s prime, this might be a different story.

jack is the engine that moves the needle on this team. i think hes played one full season since he started here. it seems any fall can knock him out for weeks our captain hasn't been the poster child for staying on the ice either but he has been better. yeah its early they have a nice window on these team friendly deals but thats going to end before you know it.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
listen i really dont care what happens no one is going to change my mind and im not going to change anyones mind. i'm tired of talking about goalies we all know where i stand and i know where you all stand.

ill just say it one more time. even if saros became available all the other teams that are looking for a goalie are going to want him over the "average meh" goalies so if you dont want to pay high prices for a average goalie just wait til you see the prices for a bidding war on saros would bring. theres only 1 saros so once hes gone your right back looking at the goalies you have now with one less team looking for a goalie so prices aren't going to come down.

as for the bolded i dunno what that even means. a team is playing bad i believe for a number of reasons mainly because of goaltending so they dont deserve to have that problem addressed when it might actually do some good? you dont even have to reply its just going to go in circles.

It's not just mainly goaltending, this team is a shadow of what it was last year mainly due to coaching. Lindy is completely lost without Brunette and went back to how he was in 21-22 without a Jack Adams caliber holding his hand the entire year. Is the goaltending trash? Yeah, sure. But I'm not sure what John Gibson or Markstrom do. We'll lose 3-2 more often instead of 5-3 and realize Lindy was the root of the entire problem in the first place. Timo is completely destroyed like Dougie was 21-22, Mercer is lost this year + has a coach playing him in the wrong spot. Toffoli goes through spells like Shara/Palmieri did when they were here. No one on the defense besides Simon Nemec and Luke has consistently played well which is a disgusting statement considering how many people here thought that integrating them would be a big minus this year.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
5 more days until a Devils game...
200w.webp

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
to change and get off goalies for a second. i saw on twitter the other day about the all star game in the meadowlands in 84. so i had to look it up 4 teams haven't hosted an all star game without looking it up what are those 4? maybe its easy but i was really surprised one of them on that list.

also why haven't the devils gotten one since going to newark? i get the initial reasons when the place first opened but if they were able to hold a draft since an all star game should be the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad