Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
f*** them both.

I still dont understand how stupid you need to be to bring in a dime a dozen dman like Foote when I bet the whole league knew who the alleged 5 or 8 players were. It was just GMs hoping that they wouldnt be charged.

I dont think Fitz needs to be fired or anything for this but he should be questioned for his thought process. You already put the franchise in bad light by bringing back one of the players and you go and bring in a totally new player and garbage at that.

I understand that NHL is a business and no matter how much we love or hate NHL executives, many of them do whatever it takes to win. So I'm not surprised about McLeod. But what the f*** does Cal Foote have to do with any kind of winning in this league? I certainly hope it was worth the risk of this f***ing shitstorm.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I’m sure we’ll never get a good answer, and even so, it would be a very difficult to believe “we didn’t know.” But still such a baffling move to sign a a fringe NHLer in Foote this past offseason. McLeod, even if I don’t agree with it, he was already an established member of the team, hadn’t been charged yet, etc. Again, I don’t agree at all, but slightly easier to follow management’s decision. Going out of your way to sign Foote though??

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Yeah, that's completely jumping the gun...none of these guys will be under contract with an NHL team in a few months and obviously no team is going to sign them before the conclusion of the trial, if ever.
@HBK27 , how about instead of me using the word "Permanently", I use the word "Indefinitely"?

HBK27

Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Would you prefer I used the term "indefinitely" instead?

Basically a suspension that ensures Mike never set foot on Devils ice again.

It's completely unnecessary though - no GM in their right mind is going to sign these guys before the trial or even qualify them.

If the NHL tries to terminate their contracts, I think they open themselves up for lawsuits - certainly if there's a not guilty verdict. I wouldn't be surprised if GM's were subtly (or even not so subtly) directed by the league to not hand out long-term contracts to these players pending the outcome of the ongoing investigations.

What if he's not found guilty - do you still want a permanent/indefinite ban?

glenwo2

JESPER BRATWURST
Oct 18, 2008
New Jersey(No Fanz!)
It's completely unnecessary though - no GM in their right mind is going to sign these guys before the trial or even qualify them.

If the NHL tries to terminate their contracts, I think they open themselves up for lawsuits - certainly if there's a not guilty verdict. I wouldn't be surprised if GM's were subtly (or even not so subtly) directed by the league to not hand out long-term contracts to these players pending the outcome of the ongoing investigations.

What if he's not found guilty - do you still want a permanent/indefinite ban?
Then the suspension will be lifted? :dunno:

I mean that's why I changed it to indefinite.

The fact is that the NHL has to do something here to show it does not tolerate this, at least from an image standpoint.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ

So it sounds like "paid leave" will take them all to the end of their contracts on June 30. Then McLeod will probably just not be offered anything as an RFA, become a UFA, then will be gone from the organization.

I also remember hearing somewhere that the NHL could not suspend the players without charges... and there's about to be charges.... so we'll see what the league does.

IF they are allowed to leave the country before the trial... I would imagine these guys end up playing in Russia.

Reactions: glenwo2 and HBK27

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Then the suspension will be lifted? :dunno:

I mean that's why I changed it to indefinite.

The fact is that the NHL has to do something here to show it does not tolerate this, at least from an image standpoint.
NHL doesn't have to do anything, his career is over ...this is going to take years and even if found not guilty time and the stain to his reputation will have taken too big of a toll to ever regain his career.

HBK27

Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I’m sure we’ll never get a good answer, and even so, it would be a very difficult to believe “we didn’t know.” But still such a baffling move to sign a a fringe NHLer in Foote this past offseason. McLeod, even if I don’t agree with it, he was already an established member of the team, hadn’t been charged yet, etc. Again, I don’t agree at all, but slightly easier to follow management’s decision. Going out of your way to sign Foote though??

What are you accusing Fitz of not knowing?

That McLeod was not a potential suspect - I think we all knew that given the public statement he made.

Do you think he was certain charges were going to be brought? Recall, this is the 2nd police investigation into this and the 1st one resulted in them not moving forward with charges (whether they didn't think a crime was actually committed or they didn't believe they could prove so beyond a reasonable doubt within a court of law).

I don't think there was a perfect way to handle this, but I still don't fault Fitz for not pre-emptively blackballing McLeod and Foote before the results of multiple ongoing investigations were released. He took some precautions by limiting the contracts to one year and bringing in additional bottom 6 forwards. In hindsight people are now ripping on Fitz, but I don't recall the outrage this offseason when he was signed.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
there's no reason to terminate their contracts because conveniently their NHL contracts all expire this season with them as free agents.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

Reactions: glenwo2

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yeah...I mean they have the evidence.

They have the perpetrators.

They have everything.

WTF?

@My3Sons , can you elaborate as to why it's going to take THIS long to have a Trial?
Some of it is probably just a back log of cases. Some of it is probably giving time for the defendants to do their own investigation. Up to now the defendants have not had notice of the charges and likely no subpoena power to get their own evidence. Given how long it took the Crown (which is apparently how the government is still referred to in Canada) to press charges it's reasonable to offer the defendants an opportunity to gather witness statements and documents and so on. My guess is the players have this already but the process is important because these things have to be done the same in all cases. There are also multiple defendants and it's possible that not each player lawyer has access to everything from all of the other defendants and they will need time to gather that. It's not appropriate to expedite or delay things just because the case is high profile. If this was some nobodies being prosecuted for the same sort of assault it has to be done the same way. That should include the ultimate resolution if any players work out a plea deal or even when sentenced after a trial. The notoriety of the players should not help or hurt them.

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Yeah...I mean they have the evidence.

They have the perpetrators.

They have everything.

WTF?

@My3Sons , can you elaborate as to why it's going to take THIS long to have a Trial?

2026?

if i'm them i'm pulling up

Section 11(b) – Trial within a reasonable time​

Provision​

11. Any person charged with an offence has the right:

b. to be tried within a reasonable time;

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Even if he’s found not guilty, this shows an astonishing lack of judgement. How can you possibly trust this guy to represent your team on and off the ice knowing that he was in that room and didn’t say anything for 5 years?

f*** this guy. Get ready to learn Chinese buddy

Reactions: Darkauron

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
there's no reason to terminate their contracts because conveniently their NHL contracts all expire this season with them as free agents.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence.
Were you expecting Cal Foote to get a multi year deal after bouncing around multiple organizations and sucking ass last year? Players like that get 1 year deals.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
The victim already settled the civil case, so the crown must have some new evidence to bring this to criminal court. Or the evidence that already exists is enough and they want to make an example of these shit bags?

I don't know. It's gross and I feel so sorry for the victim.

Why in the ever living f*** did Fitz sign Foote???

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
f*** them both.

I still dont understand how stupid you need to be to bring in a dime a dozen dman like Foote when I bet the whole league knew who the alleged 5 or 8 players were. It was just GMs hoping that they wouldnt be charged.

I dont think Fitz needs to be fired or anything for this but he should be questioned for his thought process. You already put the franchise in bad light by bringing back one of the players and you go and bring in a totally new player and garbage at that.

I understand that NHL is a business and no matter how much we love or hate NHL executives, many of them do whatever it takes to win. So I'm not surprised about McLeod. But what the f*** does Cal Foote have to do with any kind of winning in this league? I certainly hope it was worth the risk of this f***ing shitstorm.

fitz def needs to answer some questions. lets face it the devils and other teams aren't going to face any legitimate backlash over this hockey isn't popular enough in the country and the players aren't big enough in the game to cover outside of us hockey fans sad but true. fitz did leave the team short handed when this was a very legitimate risk of happening mid season. should've just walked away and looked for someone elsewhere.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Were you expecting Cal Foote to get a multi year deal after bouncing around multiple organizations and sucking ass last year? Players like that get 1 year deals.
your reading comprehension needs a lot of work if you think that's what i was talking about. Please go and re-read what I said and what I replied to from the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad