Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - 2023-24 season part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Most seasons are not going to be like this year either. But you will always think that injuries are 'an excuse' no matter how bad this gets.

There’s always going to be injuries, and I accept that, and they’re making the team worse. I never understood how reality is an excuse.

If we were a worse team, these injuries plus this goaltending would have us at the very bottom of the league instead of the bubble.

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
Apparently people in Tampa behind the bench were saying Ruff barely says anything on the bench to the team.

The poor stars, it seems like Nico has had enough of him. I dont quite understand how he is still here really
Take away his flawed system/stupid coaching mistakes and I still have a problem with him for reasons like this. The guy just embraces the loser mentality and doesn't have that fight in him. We got blown out by 6 goals the other night in a horrible game and he says post game that we played good? That's not something a coach should ever say after getting blown out by 6 goals. When we played the Hurricanes the other night he was asked if he has the team fired up to get revenge on them since they're the ones who bounced us in the playoffs, what does Lindy say? Nope that's not something we care about. What?? How don't you care about it? Are you telling me when The Rangers played us for the 1st time since we bounced them that they aren't talking about showing us up? Of course they did. You should want revenge on the team who beat you. Then you see him on the bench after we get scored on & he's completely emotionless. Shows no energy, doesn't care. Just stares with his sunglasses with the same stupid expression on his face. Systems aside, horrible lineup choices aside, coaching mistakes aside. Is this the guy you want leading your locker room? Is this the guy that's rallying the team when things get hard? Is this the guy that's going to take you to the cup? The answer to all of these is no. So for that reason alone you fire the guy. Lindy makes an amazing assistant coach, and can be a great development coach but he's not a coach who is going to take you to the cup. How does Fitz not see this. It's baffling. I love Fitz & I think he's one of the best GMs in the league when it comes to a lot of aspects but he seems hell bent on making the same mistake Shero did which at the end of the day will get you canned.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No more tacos and burritos for me on game days, though I’m sure I’ll somehow not be able to stick to that.

Going back to last year in the playoffs it’s been bad luck.

I actually had some on Thursday night prior to the game and we lost.

Reactions: Guadana

Andre Palot

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
No more tacos and burritos for me on game days, though I’m sure I’ll somehow not be able to stick to that.

Going back to last year in the playoffs it’s been bad luck.

I actually had some on Thursday night prior to the game and we lost.

How about some, good ol fashioned McDs

I'm trashy. McNuggets and Miller Lite.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
How about some, good ol fashioned McDs

I'm trashy. McNuggets and Miller Lite.
Ugh

Not really. McRibs are good though.

I would eat some McNuggets, but they’re not really worth me going to McDonald’s for. Unless I was already going there for some reason.

Andre Palot

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Ugh

Not really. McRibs are good though.

I would eat some McNuggets, but they’re not really worth me going to McDonald’s for. Unless I was already going there for some reason.

if we are going to go with a full fledged food genre switch...

Forget the pizza and pasta

Forget the tacos

I am lobbying for some good butter chicken with some basmati rice and naan bread.

Or you can never go wrong with Orange chicken, pork fried rice and an egg roll.

Orrr crab Rangoon, white rice, beef and Broccoli

Reactions: Bleedred

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
But to follow up my last post, Jack is really the only significant piece on forward/scoring that we're missing as of last night (not counting Haula, who was a one game personal scratch), other than Dougie who has been out for 2 months now and isn't coming back this year, if I had to guess.

There's a couple of other defensemen missing. One of them isn't even any good anymore and the other certainly wasn't good this year.

We lost something significant in the piece of shit that took his ''Leave of absence'' but a year ago I don't think we would have said ''Oh man! We're gonna be losing some games without McLeod!'' but this year he masqueraded as a pretty good player or maybe he was legitimately going to become a significant player and wasn't just having an up year (he certainly was in goal scoring), but I don't think his absence is gonna cost us much once we get Jack back.

Last night's lineup may have been the worst we've iced this season, when you consider Haula also didn't play.

Nosek won't be worth much, but he should be an upgrade over Dowling, Willman, Tierney, etc.

Centers make lines run. Having Mercer rarely play center means he’s not gotten any better at it but now we need him to play C. With Haula out, and he’s been gimpy part of the season, left Lazar and Dowling.

That’s bad. We lost our depth at center, it’s a bad situation. Jack won’t help our bottom six center situation.

Also, if Jack comes back and plays like he did right before he went on the IR that will be a problem. If he’s not healthy enough to engage physically putting him out there is questionable to me, but they will.

Hamilton had 16 points, with 5 goals, in 20 games. He also drove offense and transition. The pairing of Sieg/Hamilton wasn’t as great as last season but it still was a solid pair numbers wise.

The team started off badly, and left points on the table when they were healthier and the schedule was easier. That was bad and reflects poorly on Ruff.

The team is now hobbled and playing the toughest stretch of their schedule, the results aren’t shocking. It’s depressing but it is what it is.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Tired of talking about the injuries because this is still a good hockey team that is making absolutely head scratching crazy mistakes every night and a coach that lost the room a while ago.

It’s frustrating but the injuries exacerbate the underlying issues and make them worse. Hopefully the break will help some guys who are playing with some bumps and bruises and give Jack some time to get back as well.

Reactions: Guttersniped

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
It’s frustrating but the injuries exacerbate the underlying issues and make them worse. Hopefully the break will help some guys who are playing with some bumps and bruises and give Jack some time to get back as well.
The injuries would be a viable excuse if the team was just getting steamrolled... but they aren't they are in EVERY game. They can't start games one time and always give up the first 1-2 goals... which was the case when healthy... so another thing I can't blame on the injuries...

Last night is a good example. They go down 2-0. Palat scores, they give it right back 60 seconds later.

Bratt scores, they give it back 5 minutes later.

Toffoli scores, they give it back 59 second later.

These are mistakes being made by players who would be on this team regardless of injuries. It's not the AHL players that are messing everything up.

Now we are seeing reports every game of the team being down 2 or 3 goals and Ruff just standing there.

The power play has been a JOKE and they have not tried to adjust or change one thing. Against Carolina they were completely unable to carry the puck into the zone... but still did that stupid drop pass play every single time and give the puck right to Carolina.

When you have Nico talking the way he did with all the speculation that he's not Ruff's biggest fan anyway... a change needs to be made. We know missing the playoffs is unacceptable for Fitz and the owners... so do something about it. Ruff needs to gooooooooo.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
@NJDevs26 May need to breakout another team thread post ASG for good vibes. Chapter 2 was no fun. Maybe Chapter 3 is better

IMG_3447.jpeg

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The injuries would be a viable excuse if the team was just getting steamrolled... but they aren't they are in EVERY game. They can't start games one time and always give up the first 1-2 goals... which was the case when healthy... so another thing I can't blame on the injuries...

Last night is a good example. They go down 2-0. Palat scores, they give it right back 60 seconds later.

Bratt scores, they give it back 5 minutes later.

Toffoli scores, they give it back 59 second later.

These are mistakes being made by players who would be on this team regardless of injuries. It's not the AHL players that are messing everything up.

Now we are seeing reports every game of the team being down 2 or 3 goals and Ruff just standing there.

The power play has been a JOKE and they have not tried to adjust or change one thing. Against Carolina they were completely unable to carry the puck into the zone... but still did that stupid drop pass play every single time and give the puck right to Carolina.

When you have Nico talking the way he did with all the speculation that he's not Ruff's biggest fan anyway... a change needs to be made. We know missing the playoffs is unacceptable for Fitz and the owners... so do something about it. Ruff needs to gooooooooo.

I don’t disagree on Ruff but I will say that Dowling had to play 2C and was -3 for the game and Nemec was -2. Neither were supposed to be playing big roles this season but here we are. The team had one NHL center last night.

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
I don’t disagree on Ruff but I will say that Dowling had to play 2C and was -3 for the game and Nemec was -2. Neither were supposed to be playing big roles this season but here we are. The team had one NHL center last night.
We could of played Mercer at center. He was drafted as one and in his rookie year did pretty good at it. Is he green behind the eyes being he hasn't gained any center experience since being in the NHL? Of course, but now's the time to give him that center experience. There's also something we can do which is experiment with playing another top 6 player as a center to see what happens. I can't imagine it being worse than AHL guys centering the 2nd line. Ruff hasn't even tried these things. Other teams have tried it and discovered some players actually can seamlessly switch from wing to center and be good at it.

Reactions: My3Sons

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
We could have played Mercer at center. He was drafted as one and in his rookie year did pretty good at it. Is he green behind the eyes being he hasn't gained any center experience since being in the NHL? Of course, but now's the time to give him that center experience. There's also something we can do which is experiment with playing another top 6 player as a center to see what happens. I can't imagine it being worse than AHL guys centering the 2nd line. Ruff hasn't even tried these things. Other teams have tried it and discovered some players actually can seamlessly switch from wing to center and be good at it.
For me, Mercer has played center a bunch this season and he’s been significantly worse at center than at wing. At this point, I’m not sure Mercer is reasonable to play at center when he plays badly there but can play well at wing.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
We could of played Mercer at center. He was drafted as one and in his rookie year did pretty good at it. Is he green behind the eyes being he hasn't gained any center experience since being in the NHL? Of course, but now's the time to give him that center experience. There's also something we can do which is experiment with playing another top 6 player as a center to see what happens. I can't imagine it being worse than AHL guys centering the 2nd line. Ruff hasn't even tried these things. Other teams have tried it and discovered some players actually can seamlessly switch from wing to center and be good at it.

have you watched Mercer play center literally at all? Serious question. He is terrible at it.

I get when all your centers are injured and in a pinch, but yeah

McDuffz88

Smoke the Keefe
Sep 18, 2019
"One rumored Devils-Flames deal would have New Jersey getting defenseman Chris Tanev and goalie Jacob Markstrom for Devs forward Alex Holtz and a first-rounder in the 2024 Draft."

"The Mave"
I want to keep Holtz. Toffoli is going to walk in the offseason & Holtz should be the guy who slots in. We also need top line wingers who will come cheap. I would rather move on from someone else. Holtz is going to go there and turn into an instant 40 goal scorer I guarantee you that.
For me, Mercer has played center a bunch this season and he’s been significantly worse at center than at wing. At this point, I’m not sure Mercer is reasonable to play at center when he plays badly there but can play well at wing.
I agree he's worse but when there's no one else just try it. Like I said there's other players we can experiment with also. I know it's a unusual circumstance but when you have AHL players on the 2nd line that takes for some drastic experiments. Try Meier at center for a game or 2. Can he be worse than a AHL scrub? I doubt it. Nothing is temporary. If they suck then switch the duties to someone else. Try Palat etc. Drastic times calls for drastic measures. When you're getting blown out every game & are about to fall out the playoff race you have no reason not to experiment.

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022
I want to keep Holtz. Toffoli is going to walk in the offseason & Holtz should be the guy who slots in. We also need top line wingers who will come cheap. I would rather move on from someone else. Holtz is going to go there and turn into an instant 40 goal scorer I guarantee you that.
I'd like to keep Holtz as well. I wouldn't put much stock into Fischler anyways, but there seems to be some kind of smoke with Calgary, Could just be from the Toffoli trade/natural trading partners. We'll see.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I'm not trading that for a 34 year old UFA and a 34 year old goalie
Devils can’t trade their 2024 first anyway since it’s locked up in the trade with SJ; so I take that rumor of a bad deal with. Big grain of salt.

You could probably trade SJ a third round pick to take the condition off the trade and make it a 2nd round pick for sure but then it’s just more assets towards a bad idea.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad