GDT: Devils @ Sabres - 7:00 PM - MSG

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Would you rather make the playoffs and keep Green for next year or miss the playoffs and fire Green?

• Make playoffs and keep Green

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • Miss playoffs and fire Green

Votes: 44 60.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

I want goaltending
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can’t tell if this was a turtle fest in that 3rd period or just the team executing whatever Green wants them to do.

It was every bit as pathetic as the Tampa game last month.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND

I can’t tell if this was a turtle fest in that 3rd period or just the team executing whatever Green wants them to do.

It was every bit as pathetic as the Tampa game last month.
The Tampa game was when I accepted they're not making it this year. To me that was the test to see how badly they wanted it and they failed. I think people underestimate how hard it is to actually make up 5-6 points and jump over multiple teams. Nothing this team has done since like December gave me faith they would actually do it now.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Because I think it's very shortsighted on his AND the organizations part to play him when he's obviously hurt and no matter how talented he is, it isn't working out for the team this season. Shut him down and get ready for next season.
This organization has always had a problem when it comes to injured players going back to the days of Lou. We’ve always had the worst medical and training staff. At least the season has mercifully come to an end.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
BTW, I have really given up on Kevin Bahl. This guy makes so many mistakes, it's just terrible to watch. Poor Marino had to cover up for his brain farts all night. Please play Hatakka from now on and trade Bahl after the season. I really don't want to see him and Smith any more.
He's still pretty young guns for a defensman in the NHL. Realistically he tops out as a 3rd pairing dman who can kill penalties and brings size. It was a good piece to get in the Hall trade with Mercer. I think next year they ideally want to see how he plays if he will fit here somewhat longterm. He should have Hatakka , Miysul & maybe 1 other player beating for his spot. Hamilton , Marino , Luke , Nemec , Siegenthaler are pretty much a lock for our defense. It will leave Bahl & someone else fighting for that last spot.

We absolutely need our defensive defensmen to rebound next season though. Hamilton , Luke & Nemec will be able to carry the offensive load next year. We need guys like Siegenthaler , Marino & Bahl to carry the defensive responsibilities. Whoever is coaching this team next year has some good players to work with on the backend. I still think it's a good group of players to work with , an upgrade back there would be bug but we honestly better just aging the patient game. Better goaltending with Allen & hopefully Markstrom will certainly help.

Reactions: Devs3cups

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
He's still pretty young guns for a defensman in the NHL. Realistically he tops out as a 3rd pairing dman who can kill penalties and brings size. It was a good piece to get in the Hall trade with Mercer. I think next year they ideally want to see how he plays if he will fit here somewhat longterm. He should have Hatakka , Miysul & maybe 1 other player beating for his spot. Hamilton , Marino , Luke , Nemec , Siegenthaler are pretty much a lock for our defense. It will leave Bahl & someone else fighting for that last spot.

We absolutely need our defensive defensmen to rebound next season though. Hamilton , Luke & Nemec will be able to carry the offensive load next year. We need guys like Siegenthaler , Marino & Bahl to carry the defensive responsibilities. Whoever is coaching this team next year has some good players to work with on the backend. I still think it's a good group of players to work with , an upgrade back there would be bug but we honestly better just aging the patient game. Better goaltending with Allen & hopefully Markstrom will certainly help.
Good work by Ray and Fitz to grab guys like Bahl and Hatakka as throw ins on big trades

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Is Nico right, here? We’re not really that far ahead of the Sabres in the standings. Maybe we need to re-evaluate and actually take teams like this seriously.
If Nico really thinks they are too good to be beaten by a team "like the Sabres", that is a huge problem right there. Maybe it is even THE problem this team has, because they have looked the worst in games against the supposedly weaker teams. Arrogance is what it is, and Nico with his "If you play against TEAMS LIKE THAT, the only way they're going to beat you is if you beat yourself" is leading the way.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Disaster goaltending
Disaster injuries
Disaster coaching

And this team will still get mid 80s in points and only 3 less regulation wins than a handful of president trophy contending teams…

Boy howdy, when they strengthen the complimentary pieces and get a better coach.
View attachment 843379
Allen wasn't great tonight but he has been good the majority of his starts. Really only 1 bad game against Ottawa. If we can get Markstrom and role the both of them next year than we should be much better in goal. Daws and Schmid need more time in the AHL. It still just sucks having to see the both of them down there not really playing too well. I swear Poulter might be the best of 3 when its all said and done. The Devils owe him an NHL start to close the season out. This season really has fried us out when it comes to the discussion/analysis of the Devil's goaltending. Fact is that it needs to be better next year or we aren't going to go very far....

swissdude

May 18, 2019
If Nico really thinks they are too good to be beaten by a team "like the Sabres", that is a huge problem right there. Maybe it is even THE problem this team has, because they have looked the worst in games against the supposedly weaker teams. Arrogance is what it is, and Nico with his "If you play against TEAMS LIKE THAT, the only way they're going to beat you is if you beat yourself" is leading the way.
It's probably a an issue with semantics and language. I don't think his point was that the Devils are way superior and had to win the game due to how weak the sabers are. In swiss german "like the Sabers" or "a team like that" could also relate to the standings and the fact that it has been a 4 point game. So I doubt that he underestimated the stength of the opponent and only wantetd to say that this have been a must win game. Ok the we can only beat ourselves part is different and that was not a clever thing to say but if you are honest, they beat themselves stop playing the right way after 17mins....

Last edited:
Reactions: Better Call Sal

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Except he's completely right in that quote, there's next to no excuse for this team to be losing to teams consistently below you in the standings. I don't think the Sabres are as bad as they are this year, a lot of it has to do with the regression offensively that most people correctly predicted but being up 2-0 and utterly look like world beaters in the first and then just fizzling out in the 2nd/3rd is a f***ing atrocity.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
Except he's completely right in that quote, there's next to no excuse for this team to be losing to teams consistently below you in the standings. I don't think the Sabres are as bad as they are this year, a lot of it has to do with the regression offensively that most people correctly predicted but being up 2-0 and utterly look like world beaters in the first and then just fizzling out in the 2nd/3rd is a f***ing atrocity.
You can say (and maybe think) stuff like that when you are the 21/22 Tampa Bay Lightning playing some bottom feeder. But the Devils have won nothing since forever and they have exactly one more point than Buffalo. They are basically on the same level.

Reactions: Jeremy2020

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
You can say (and maybe think) stuff like that when you are the 21/22 Tampa Bay Lightning playing some bottom feeder. But the Devils have won nothing since forever and they have exactly one more point than Buffalo. They are basically on the same level.

Buffalo hasn't made the playoffs in, what, 12 years? The Devils are further in their timeline than them, I couldn't given two shits if they're similar to Buffalo to this year. They had more expectations than the Sabres coming into the year. This fanbase can't be mad at their captain/players saying the same status quo shit and then being mad when they're angry at the opponent they lost to in the fashion they did. They were demolishing Buffalo for the first 15 mins and they lost the game on their own, so where exactly is he wrong in saying that they lost to a lower opponent? And Hischier has been their best forward this year, bar none, if there's anyone who should be allowed to be pissed that they're this dogshit, it's him.

• Haha
Reactions: Jeremy2020

Whaddagoal

The Sheldon Keefe Era Begins
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Kevin Bahl with two horrible breakout attempts lead to both goals 1 and 2 against.

First was a pass to a semi- covered Meier who has no time but to cross pass it away. Led to turnover. Meier could have also just thrown it north maybe.

Second was a terrible reverse blind when Bahl did but he reversed it blindly and it led to turnover. Marino couldn't get it in time.

Smith was terrible most of the game and we only got lucky his turnovers didn't lead to goals.

Allen has one turnover himself which he got lucky on.

Luke and jack terrible defense on the 3rd goal. Jack got lost and lost his mark. And Luke was on the wrong side of Allen and obviously couldn't do shit on tage even if he was there size mismatch.

Bratt Jack missed breakaways. Palat Nico missed a tier 2 opp. The whole 5v3 was stupid. Jack over handled the puck instead of finding space.

Just amateur level 40 mins of hockey 2nd and 3rd.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
woke up still mad about that 5 on 3 and 3rd period turtling but also relieved that i don’t have to stress about this dumb ass team anymore.

it was actually really nice to watch a game with real stakes and pressure and a sort of playoff feeling to it, but alas this team is just not good enough from the coaching/management all the way down to do anything this year. just a crappy, miserable lost season

Reactions: Whaddagoal

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

They did not look particularly good at any point in that game. Even up 2 early they still looked bad.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
They did not look particularly good at any point in that game. Even up 2 early they still looked bad.

Objectively false, they destroyed Buffalo out of the gate and the entire game went to shit after they failed the 5 on 3.

They looked very good in the first until the 5 on 3. Then they proceeded to play like assholes the rest of the night. It was a pathetic performance and a wonderful start to the weekend.

Thank you, I thought I was going mad for a second

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Regardless, if they make the playoffs or not, the Devils’ still have a laziness to there game.

Its the one thing that frustrates me beyond the goalies, and the defensive zone lapses. I know momentum can swing in a game, but lack of effort plays a part in it.

For example, 3rd goal. The player ices the puck with open ice to skate. Everyone knew the players on the ice were tired, to include Buffalo. Try to kill time for a change.

2nd goal, Bahl was in position to skate the puck out (with a guy on him). He makes a blind back pass to nobody. Dano said in the broadcast, why didn’t he just skate the puck out? The defense struggles to make passes up ice. They prefer to skate up the ice but its not always the best option. The only transition comes from short passes to forwards, who then go up ice. It would be interesting to see, how many breakaways the Devils had last year vs this year.

The first thing the new coach needs to do is remove Luke from PP1. The fact they haven’t tried Nemec is wild. At least Dougie will be back next year.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Regardless, if they make the playoffs or not, the Devils’ still have a laziness to there game.

Its the one thing that frustrates me beyond the goalies, and the defensive zone lapses. I know momentum can swing in a game, but lack of effort plays a part in it.

For example, 3rd goal. The player ices the puck with open ice to skate. Everyone knew the players on the ice were tired, to include Buffalo. Try to kill time for a change.

2nd goal, Bahl was in position to skate the puck out (with a guy on him). He makes a blind back pass to nobody. Dano said in the broadcast, why didn’t he just skate the puck out? The defense struggles to make passes up ice. They prefer to skate up the ice but its not always the best option. The only transition comes from short passes to forwards, who then go up ice. It would be interesting to see, how many breakaways the Devils had last year vs this year.

The first thing the new coach needs to do is remove Luke from PP1. The fact they haven’t tried Nemec is wild. At least Dougie will be back next year.

As much I've ragged on Lindy, the onus is on this core coming into next year to shed that label. They have no excuse now to be lazy as f*** with how this season went. They'll get a goalie tandem they can trust, hopefully Fitz hires the right coach (I'm not sold on this but we'll see until something is truly confirmed) so basically anything they had go wrong this year is out of the door for next year.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
The poll is still open. It was 50/50 right before the game yesterday (I think 25 votes for either). This morning, it seems most people prefer to miss the playoffs. Thank you for the poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad