Post-Game Talk: Devils run ends, lose in 5 to Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
No, did they ever allow this? I think baseball is they only sport that has options.
They did at one point - because it got confusing as to whether it was a player's option or the team's option to exercise.

And I wanna say Brylin was one of those players that had one and iirc the team chose not to exercise the option?? I dunno - long time ago.

edit* yes it was Brylin: Devils re-sign Pandolfo, Salvador, but not Brylin

Last edited:
Reactions: MasterofGrond

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Thank you Devils! What a season!

Interesting to see what happens with all the UFAs/RFAs. All of them were lacking production in the playoffs, so not sure we can hold that against any of them (Meier, Bratt, Tatar). I guess the goalie tandem Schmid/Vanecek is set in stone, if Schmid can find some consistancy they can win with him. Excited to see Luke and Nemec in the starting lineup next season. Expecting the Devils to finish with less pts next year, but still make the playoffs and hopefully be more prepared and ready next time.

Tiredswede

Dec 6, 2016
The contract stuff has turned a lot of people on him irregardless of his play.

I wasn't the biggest fan of his playoffs, but he is clearly a core piece and should be resigned and hopefully this successful season allows both sides to bridge the gap and get a deal done
I think this is key. If the process lags and he looks like he will be holding out I think his days are numbered. Might (should) be anyway

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I would absolutely bring Severson back if he just decided he would sign a one year deal to try and win one here.

But that isn't going to happen and we can't be handing him a 4+ year new contract. Just doesn't make sense for us long term.

Left side we have Siegs, Luke, Bahl, and Smith all under contract next year. Just isn't room to bring Graves back. Makes sense to move on

Severson has zero reason not to try to score a long term deal right now. The defensive UFA market is putrid.

And there’s no real argument for him staying in NJ either. We played him on the 3rd pair and stopped using him on the PK, which didn’t exactly help his market value.

He’s played huge minutes in the past, so I don’t think slumming it most of the year on the 3rd pair hurt him there but it makes no sense for him to come back for more.

I was going to blather on about my own guesses about Severson’s and Grave’s possible contracts and then I checked Evolving Hockey AND OMG IT’S HAPPENING! They have this off-seasons first contract estimates. (Maybe people already posted them, I’m behind. So sue me.)

My guesses were Severson (6 years/6.5m) and Graves (5 years/5m).
Signed with original team
7BF5940E-D061-4F40-85D6-B2CDF5764642.jpeg

C24E137A-DBEF-4664-838F-71430CCC6964.jpeg
3CBAFAF1-F21E-4634-B10A-9024EBD9207D.jpeg
3F0E1596-10E8-47AB-81D1-7E354DBE2CF3.jpeg

Signed with different team
66CD6198-CE43-4C38-8A7B-5350716C39CB.jpeg
0F0B49EB-F6D2-4225-A912-6EFB455BE160.jpeg
EFECFC79-EBA4-4D88-9BF5-D46590EB5026.jpeg
1160DE27-18E4-476D-9545-59562E657B39.jpeg

Their model can’t take QO offers into account so Timo’s isn’t affected by that.

Signed with original team
A3550AA4-D32F-4674-BF11-E928A839F346.jpeg
56764F64-E670-4FCF-830F-1580363FF0C1.jpeg
8FBC3AC3-AAC1-4ACB-ACFD-1B5D1F560768.jpeg

0BD158B2-01F1-4DFF-9F10-11BFF02CDA4C.jpeg

Signed with different team
8B6AFD92-7C7F-4AEC-9824-C168093AA486.jpeg
A9B68C8E-2E99-4AF6-A161-99F7ED605028.jpeg
72A622D6-E705-4144-8DE5-AECF1744D05F.jpeg

6769719C-9FA5-4726-B32C-3E9065DF760A.jpeg

Signs with original team
3F77E4CE-47D9-48A4-B290-76B6841CE8E2.jpeg
22B7559C-6B8E-48DB-89F4-C93066B51B24.jpeg
707987DF-0EE8-4792-8C31-449424AB2516.jpeg
89DB814F-4F45-4FCD-B5BB-C7AA1AD98414.jpeg

Signs with different team
73448DC4-88CA-4BD5-8F33-37EBE703B40C.jpeg

F6173280-42E0-47FB-B8A6-5E6706AF6F8A.jpeg
73838931-120B-41B6-BFD6-E2B027104BED.jpeg
BA9FF453-92C6-4D3B-8EB2-88B64895306A.jpeg

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Why would other teams give anything up for him if he sucks? This whole discourse just makes no sense.

Are you arguing with the discourse or making suggestions? Because who cares about the former?

My take on Bratt hasn’t changed much since the summer, the biggest shocker for me is he had a lousy second half of the season. Not just production wise, his underlying numbers were lousy too. No idea why.

I was ok with Fitz having a number and sticking with it, assuming it’s a realistic number. We haven’t heard even what’s been allegedly offered so I can’t make more of a call there.

There’s no point in signing him to another 1 year bridge deal. We would have zero chance of signing him longterm and some other team might be able too. You have to move on at that point.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
To Stay:
Bratt $7.5m (lost a $1m per year with his playoff performance)
Meier $7.5m (ditto)
Huala $3m, 2 year
McLeod $2m, 5 year (lets lock him up until age 30)
Sharangovich - $2m/QO (Happy to keep him at his QO as a depth player)
Boqvist $1m / QO (Ditto)
Bastian $1m / QO (Ditto)
Bahl $1.5m, 3 years

To Leave:
Tatar (Promote Holtz full time)
Wood (Promote Lazar full time)
Severson (Promote Nemec full time)
Graves (Promote L.Hughes full time)
Blackwood (Promote Schmid full time)
Bernier (Thanks for LTIR cap hit)

I expect the team to be quiet in free agency. If Huala leaves, they absolutely need a veteran 3C. They could also get a 3RD if they feel Nemec needs one more year in AHL.

If Fitz wants to improve the team via hockey trade, then he is probably limited to Sharangovich, Holtz, Seamus Casey.

Holtz needs to play but clearly Ruff doesnt trust him. If Ruff is brought back as coach then Holtz could have another tough season.

Desert Devil

Legend
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I’m very disappointed. Not because I think we didn’t deserve this. We did not play well enough to win this series no matter what way you want to look at it. It’s more that the field was so wide open to be taken this year. Boston, Tampa, and Colorado all done. We really could have done something but we met such a strongly coached team. It just sucks.

I had zero expectations for tonight. I was totally expecting them to fold but they came out and played a hell of a game. I’m proud of our team tonight. We should have been up 3-1 going into the third and everyone knows that. I’m confident we’ll be back better than ever next year.

This series came down to coaching in my eyes. I don’t think Carolina had any distinct advantage other than that. We had no response to their forecheck. So many situations where our D just got beat because of lack of foot speed. We had no answer for it. Just so sloppy in our own zone at times.

This was such a fun year. So many great memories. This should be nothing but motivation for the Devils and hope for us fans. The Hughes Bro’s are going to be such a pleasure to watch over the next decade.

Ok so Bratt. So disappointed in his play this playoffs. He can bring so much more but simply didn’t. I know the numbers have him creating a good amount but man just watching him was very frustrating. He didn’t do enough this playoffs period. But so many others didn’t as well. I want him back. Unless we can get something of similar production back, it makes no sense other than try to hammer out a reasonable deal.

Vanecek was horrendous this playoffs. He gave me zero confidence in any of his play. Idk where that ranks on my disappointing list but it’s probably just behind Bratt. It matters next to nothing but I have played goal since I was about 7 and he straight up didn’t seem to battle in these playoffs. He was such a warrior for us during the season that it was so disappointing. He seemed to just succumb to the pressure at hand. It’s so tough when your zone is such a mess but he simply did not make a single save when he needed to. I know he’s not going anywhere but I would rather us find a replacement for him. I know the most efficient thing to do, considering our other priorities, is to have him come back but I don’t want to see it.

Meier needs to be signed and I’m confident he will be. He’s the the guy you go to war with. Got blown up and is right back there mucking it up. I loved it. Lack of production be damned. He deserved more.

Hischier and Jack were mostly great. Jack had more production but Nico brought it every night even though it didn’t show on the scoreboard. I’m so excited as to where these two will lead us.

The fourth line and Mikey were great these playoffs. Did exactly what you want and more. The Palat to Mikey goal in game 7 will forcever be etched in my fandom.

It’s likely we won’t see the likes of Graves, Tatar, Severson, and Wood anymore. It’s best for the team but I can’t ignore the sacrifices and or memories they’ve made for this team and fanbase. Graves didn’t give us too much but he was solid most of his tenure here. Tatar’s goal from Marino that made it 2-0 in game 7 will always be such a great moment for this team. Severson and Wood have been absolute warriors for us and I’m so happy they were able to enjoy this years run as they stuck with us unwavering throughout so many of these unwatchable years.

I truly hope this makes a little bit of sense but it is 1:39 AM here in Phoenix and I am just babbling but I had to watch the Devils lose in OT just minutes before I, myself, got shelled in a mens league and now I’ve been drinking since the lady is out of town. But it’s too long and didn’t read but I love you all and let’s go Devils!

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Now we atleast see what things we can try to fix via free agency with whatever cap we have. Hopefully we bring back Haula but this team needs to bring in an energy guy. If we somehow got Tom Wilson that would be huge. The problem is he is already 30 and would probably cost way too much. But if you iced the lineup we had tonight and swapped out Tatar with a player like that then you would of seen a difference all series. We have guys who played the body well at times but Wilson would of been good at getting under thr Canes skin while being a physical force. Team lacks a pest/enforcer. The band of brothers fighting mentality is nice that guys will step in here and there but Wilson is the guy that can wear away at a team every game.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Now we atleast see what things we can try to fix via free agency with whatever cap we have. Hopefully we bring back Haula but this team needs to bring in an energy guy. If we somehow got Tom Wilson that would be huge. The problem is he is already 30 and would probably cost way too much. But if you iced the lineup we had tonight and swapped out Tatar with a player like that then you would of seen a difference all series. We have guys who played the body well at times but Wilson would of been good at getting under thr Canes skin while being a physical force. Team lacks a pest/enforcer. The band of brothers fighting mentality is nice that guys will step in here and there but Wilson is the guy that can wear away at a team every game.

I don’t see Washington trading Wilson now if he’s healthy. They aren’t rebuilding yet, they just moved UFAs to get Sandin and a few extra picks.

They wouldn’t get much more for him with two years left on his deal than then they would with one year or at the TDL at 50%.

It would be tough to blow them away with an offer since we don’t have a 2023 1st and only a conditional 2024 1st.

Devils Pride 26

BrickCityHockey*****
Jan 12, 2008
NJ
New coach with real accountability and structure. The caretaker days are over. Tatar making a stupid play in the neutral zone was a microcosm of the playoffs.

Build a team to win 5v5 puck battles and has an ability to generate off the forecheck. It doesn’t have to be your primary but when a team like Carolina is muddying the waters, there was no counter.

This team had an inflated record from 3v3 OT. I’d give up a few of those points for a more disciplined playoff 5v5

Reactions: My3Sons

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I tried not posting here during the game as it worked in round one. Did not work this time. It felt like Carolina was not going to be denied. I'm bummed but not mad.

Reactions: Cheddabombs

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
One of the most fun seasons I’ve ever experienced. Losing sucks, but the future is so bright I wish training camp started tomorrow lol. Absolutely hyped so see a whole season of Lou’cuse and the further growth of Nemec, AND the Holtz redemption arc. Love you all (yes, even the doomers)!

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
The Devils had a great season. They went as far as they could. They just didn’t have all the right bullets. They weren’t a perfect bream but the were exciting and fun to watch. Only one team wins the cup, Boston , Rangers, Colorado and probably the Leafs our out. Nothing to be ashamed of. Congrats on a great season. Let’s just hope Fritz make the right improvements.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I know this will be a unpopular opinion, but outside of the production, Palat was a liability.

I think Timo put too much pressure on himself early playoffs, and then he got smashed. He looked great the last few games.

Marino with a f***ing broken nose, going out on the PK was nuts. He had gauze shoved up there, to keep himself form being kicked off the ice. Wild Stuff. I can’t believe the Devils got him for Smith.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I know this will be a unpopular opinion, but outside of the production, Palat was a liability.

I think Timo put too much pressure on himself early playoffs, and then he got smashed. He looked great the last few games.

Marino with a f***ing broken nose, going out on the PK was nuts. He had gauze shoved up there, to keep himself form being kicked off the ice. Wild Stuff. I can’t believe the Devils got him for Smith.

The Palat deal I think we all knew would be an anchor. He was a big factor in beating the rags and possibly causing another meltdown though, so I thank him for that.

Playoff Dougie concerned me a bit to be honest. And playoff Tatar. Bratt picked a bad time to disappear as well.

But above all this, we need a goalie we can rely on. There was no reason we should have been blown out of the building 5 times in two rounds. Certainly didn't play well in those games, but they should have been closer.

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
Hamilton and Graves were brutal and looked real slow
I think hamilton is a liability. This contract is gonna be Brutal. He really cannot defend.

Anyway great season. We have some gamers. We have some guys that are not. Great job all in all. Have a healthy summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad