Post-Game Talk: Devils run ends, lose in 5 to Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
Devils killed the Canes in the dot, so maybe not so much.
the devils won a lot of face offs but i’d love to know how many d zone wins were turned over in the first 10 seconds due to hard checking and pressure.

it happened a lot where the puck would be won to a defenseman but there was no breakout and carolina just took the puck right back and kept possession

Reactions: BurntToast

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I know this will be a unpopular opinion, but outside of the production, Palat was a liability.

I think Timo put too much pressure on himself early playoffs, and then he got smashed. He looked great the last few games.

Marino with a f***ing broken nose, going out on the PK was nuts. He had gauze shoved up there, to keep himself form being kicked off the ice. Wild Stuff. I can’t believe the Devils got him for Smith.
I hope Palat can take the offseason and recover. He was not good during the regular season and was ineffective in round 2. I wonder how much his injury to the groin affected the rest of his season.

If he can come back and be better that will help make up for losing someone like Tatar in the offseason.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
5 worse +/-

Hamilton -11
Tatar -7
Haula and Palat - 6
Nico - 5

Top shot leaders were what you'd expect
Jack 45
Meier 37
Nico 33
Bratt 25
Hamilton 23

Here's the problem
Jack shot at 13.3%
Meier shot at 5.4
Nico shot at 3%. *this was the worst among starters
Bratt shot at 4%
Hamilton shot at 4.3%

Can't win with those guys not producing... Jack excluded of course.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
john-marino-ace-ventura-jpeg.598956

One more time for good measure. Marino was a rock this postseason.

Camille the Eel

These were 2 teams with very different styles of play. It was a contest of which team would impose its style on the other. That shifted back and forth at times but for most of the time in the series - and it wasn’t even close to an even amount - they succeeded in making us play their game. Out in 5.

Last night all three goals against us were on their tipped pucks with traffic in front. Well maybe their 2d goal was just a complete screen of Schmid and not a tip. Same difference

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
These were 2 teams with very different styles of play. It was a contest of which team would impose its style on the other. That shifted back and forth at times but for most of the time in the series - and it wasn’t even close to an even amount - they succeeded in making us play their game. Out in 5.

Last night all three goals against us were on their tipped pucks with traffic in front. Well maybe their 2d goal was just a complete screen of Schmid and not a tip. Same difference
Thr Canes understood that in the playoffs you can interfere pick hold cross check in the back and clutch and grab. It made a big difference in thr way they were able to impose their will on NJ. In regular season games there would have been a bunch more calls. NJ has to learn that. Whatever NJ does they can’t go away from their team speed. That is very impportant but they have to find a way to develop more of an edge to go with it.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Timo must be signed.

McLeod is THE must sign among the non-Bratt RFAs Bastian a close second.

Bratt only if he and his agent get real. Otherwise moving him is the quickest way to improve the roster.

Would keep Severson but he will get more elsewhere.

Haula stays if the price is right.

Sayonara to Graves, Wood, Shara, Tatar.

Bahl comes cheap or see ya.

Need to add grit and size.

Explore the goalie market aggressively. Look at Val from NYI (UFA) and kick the tires on Hellebuyck. Given where this team is in its physical and fiscal life cycle, I’d rather invest in him than Bratt.
I highly doubt we’re doing anything in the goalie market other than getting rid of Blackwood. Probably going into next season with

Schmid
Vanacek

Daws
Brennan

A few bad playoff games from Vanacek isn’t gonna end his devils tenure and Schmid has done enough to be on the roster next year and hopefully become our true number 1.

Camille the Eel

Thr Canes understood that in the playoffs you can interfere pick hold cross check in the back and clutch and grab. It made a big difference in thr way they were able to impose their will on NJ. In regular season games there would have been a bunch more calls. NJ has to learn that. Whatever NJ does they can’t go away from their team speed. That is very impportant but they have to find a way to develop more of an edge to go with it.
I agree. Too early to draw any but the most preliminary and cursory lessons, but if there’s a team in the league that scores less on tipped pucks than we do, I’d be surprised. When our rush game isn’t there, that’s something we could maybe do more of without altering our general approach.

Reactions: My3Sons

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
To Stay:
Bratt $7.5m (lost a $1m per year with his playoff performance)
Meier $7.5m (ditto)
Huala $3m, 2 year
McLeod $2m, 5 year (lets lock him up until age 30)
Sharangovich - $2m/QO (Happy to keep him at his QO as a depth player)
Boqvist $1m / QO (Ditto)
Bastian $1m / QO (Ditto)
Bahl $1.5m, 3 years

To Leave:
Tatar (Promote Holtz full time)
Wood (Promote Lazar full time)
Severson (Promote Nemec full time)
Graves (Promote L.Hughes full time)
Blackwood (Promote Schmid full time)
Bernier (Thanks for LTIR cap hit)

I expect the team to be quiet in free agency. If Huala leaves, they absolutely need a veteran 3C. They could also get a 3RD if they feel Nemec needs one more year in AHL.

If Fitz wants to improve the team via hockey trade, then he is probably limited to Sharangovich, Holtz, Seamus Casey.

Holtz needs to play but clearly Ruff doesnt trust him. If Ruff is brought back as coach then Holtz could have another tough season.
This is just not reasonable at all. No chance in hell Meier’s only getting 7.5 and there’s no chance in hell Fitz even thinks it’s that low either. And while he had some difficulty producing he was doing all the right things. Unlikely Bratt’s that low either. Doubt Haula gets a raise. Think they resign him to a team friendly deal. Tatar is also probably worth keeping for less than his current cap. Him at 3M for 2 years is way better than Sharangovich at 2M. Fine with the Bahl and McLeod ideas

But I’m thinking Bratt will be in the 8-8.5M range and Meier in the 8.5-9M range. Just don’t know what Bratt’s agent will be pushing for or if that dollar range will be worth Meier taking instead of his 10M QO.

Also might sign a stop gap RD instead of throwing Nemec right in.

Last edited:

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
Why do some folks want to get rid of Siegs? I don't get it.
Siegs is this generations version of Tommy Abilene for the Devils. Had he's Steve Smith goat moment. Not nearly as bad as Smith but, you don't get rid of a guy over that. This team can have a stronger bond after something like that. If your too young to get what I'm referring to Hockeydb.com!

Reactions: Dialamo

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
At the end of the day, as absolutely disappointing at this series was, still a fantastic season. Wish they could have put up a better fight in this round at the very least. But hopefully the way they were ousted shows there is still lots of work to be done on the roster if they want to truly contend in the coming years.
I agree. Didn’t expect to get this far, but once Boston was out I felt like we could have went all the way if we played our best games.

I severely underrated Carolina—they played like dogs and really taught us a lesson of how to play in the playoffs. They are going to be hell to play against in the coming years. I hope they go all the way; it will give me solace to have lost to the best team.

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
5 worse +/-

Hamilton -11
Tatar -7
Haula and Palat - 6
Nico - 5

Top shot leaders were what you'd expect
Jack 45
Meier 37
Nico 33
Bratt 25
Hamilton 23

Here's the problem
Jack shot at 13.3%
Meier shot at 5.4
Nico shot at 3%. *this was the worst among starters
Bratt shot at 4%
Hamilton shot at 4.3%

Can't win with those guys not producing... Jack excluded of course.
Haula obviously had a big role in Round1, he just couldn’t bring it in Round2.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
the devils won a lot of face offs but i’d love to know how many d zone wins were turned over in the first 10 seconds due to hard checking and pressure.

it happened a lot where the puck would be won to a defenseman but there was no breakout and carolina just took the puck right back and kept possession

Well, on numerous occasions we won the faceoff took possession and Carolinas relentless forecheck took it right back. That sort of negates the faceoff win. On paper it shows a FO win but the reality is it wasn't.
You’re both right, but it just further proves how face offs aren’t the be all end all when even if you win it, you may turn it over due to pressure or disjointed play behind the net.

Reactions: Triumph

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
I’m going to bash Ruff but I do think this team is going to need a new voice to get over the hump.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I hope Palat can take the offseason and recover. He was not good during the regular season and was ineffective in round 2. I wonder how much his injury to the groin affected the rest of his season.

If he can come back and be better that will help make up for losing someone like Tatar in the offseason.
It was reported when he got injured that his injury would limit him for the rest of the season. I’m willing to give him the off-season to recover before making any conclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad